*Intro to Mercenary Man by Firewind
*Intro to Smoke on the Water by Deep Purple
*Intro to Iron Man by Black Sabbath
I can play more cant think of any at the moment

Things im working on:
*Whole song of Mercenary Man by Firewind
*Legato Picking
*Palm Muting open Chords

What should i be able to as of so far?,am i at least at average pace?

Also im a masssive metal fan everything from iron maiden to cannibal corpse, Are there any intimediate songs that i could learn to help improve my playing

Also how good should i be after 2 years?

Thx UG
Last edited by switchbladefan at Dec 9, 2009,
all people are different it all depends on how much u practice, Matt Heafy locked himself in his room everyday sisnce he was like 12 and practiced and look how gwd he is now lol
Lol yeh Heafy Rules,

Yeh he probably ended up doing like 12 hours per day, i try to average 1, 2 or 3 hours per day at least
Hey, man I think you're doing pretty well.

Some of the students I get have been 'playing for years' but can't do any where near the amount you can do.

You have a great grounding, those arpeggios will really help with your metal liking. You should be really happy!

But not too happy, then you won't improve.
thx for that man, just because alot of my mates were alot better then me when they were at the same stage as me
You should be as good as you are. There are no benchmarks for how good you should be, you should just be setting yourself goals. As you've taken up tuition I suggest talking to your tutor about what your aims as a musician are and then let him guide you. Other than that, keep practising what you have learnt because there is always room for improvement.
Can someone explain to me why people create these threads?

Is it because the TSers are seeking approval or respect or compliments or what?

How good should you be after a year? Hmm, i'd say you should have mastered your instrument by now. And if you haven't then you should pick up the triangle.
Quote by jemjabella42
People look too much into body language. Sometimes I don't make eye contact with people because they are ugly.
Quote by flea's trumpet
Can someone explain to me why people create these threads?

Is it because the TSers are seeking approval or respect or compliments or what?

How good should you be after a year? Hmm, i'd say you should have mastered your instrument by now. And if you haven't then you should pick up the triangle.

+1

Besides, when you say things "alternate picking", we have no idea what that means.

Can you alternate pick at 18 NPS or just go up and down scales at beginners speed?

Can you switch between all sorts of open chords without thinking in the matter of 1/10 of a second?
How difficult are these arpeggios that you can play?

Nobody here can really tell you what you are asking.
Quote by switchbladefan

I am able to play:

*Intro to Crazy train by Ozzy Osbourne
*Intro and Intro solo to One by Metallica
*Intro and Main Riff to Enter Sandman by Metallica
*Intro and Main Riff to Master of Puppets by Metallica
*Intro and Bridge Riiff to Fade to Black by Metallica
*Intro to Mercenary Man by Firewind
*Intro to Smoke on the Water by Deep Purple
*Intro to Iron Man by Black Sabbath

Why only intros and main riffs? You mentioned that you were working on a whole song by Firewind. Why not try to learn the rest of one of the songs you started? Do you ever want to jam with others? Then beware of becoming a metal medley player.
Quote by flea's trumpet

C'mon, the triangle gets no respect. At least it helps beginners learn how to play before they pick up their first electric triangle.
Listen to my songs on my profile pretty please

Quote by SamhainGrim
I wish a had a vagina to go with my penis...:[
Quote by Myshadow46_2
You should be as good as you are. There are no benchmarks for how good you should be, you should just be setting yourself goals. As you've taken up tuition I suggest talking to your tutor about what your aims as a musician are and then let him guide you. Other than that, keep practising what you have learnt because there is always room for improvement.
+1

Provided you are happy with your progress, and you are having fun, you're doing just great
I think you got some good things going. Chance are your learning things to do from a book or website (tab, video's, etc...).

After a year you should be playing full tunes for sure. And you should be developing ways to help yourself learn tunes by ear, not every complicated part, but at least be able to make through whole songs rhythm wise.

Like Smoke on the Water, the verse chorus and bridge parts are just as easy as the intro, learn them today. The same with Crazy Train, Iron Man, One, Enter Sandman, etc...

You don't need to learn all the solo's (although, learning the full tune will get you closer to the solo), but always learn intro's, verse's, chorus', and bridges when learning a tune. Especially at your age.

Whether you can play it all perfectly in not an issue, just KEEP playing it. You'll get better in the process and be able to play full songs