Suffocation DVD: "It's definitely in the works and basically there"

DC: There has been much talk in the past of a Suffocation DVD - What is the current status of this?

S: Here's a secret. It's definitely in the works and basically there. When we are quickly realizing the thought and need for change, what that does is make every episode we accomplish DVD worthy. So with that said it's a work in constant progress.

Entire interview:

http://diabolicalconquest.com/interviews/suffocation.htm

Hope is the worst of evils, for it prolongs the torment of man
Smith comes across as a massive crybaby in every interview he does. Half the answers are whining about how they're not commercially successful and bitching about record labels. Has it ever occurred to him that they don't shift many albums because they're death metal?
^I'm shocked because he's in one of the most commercially successful death metal bands and doesn't seem to get that.

As for the DVD: About damn time.
How To Be A Douche, Lesson One:

DC: What're your personal favourite tracks from the album?

S: ‘Blood Oath', ‘Come Hell or High Priest', ‘Provoking the Disturbed' are my favourites I suppose.

DC: What is it you like about them?

S: I wrote them.

Quote by guitgrinder
Yep. I'm real mad. I got done havin some fun jammin w/ my band today, gonna have a Sloppy Joe dinner, w/ Tater Tots covered in chili, then my girlfriends gonna blow me tonight. I've got lots to be mad about!
Quote by webbtje
Smith comes across as a massive crybaby in every interview he does. Half the answers are whining about how they're not commercially successful and bitching about record labels. Has it ever occurred to him that they don't shift many albums because they're death metal?

We shouldn't be to hard on him, it can't be easy working in the death metal world when you think that you're Britney Spears.
Meh, I'm not surprised. I'm sure if I were in Smith's shoes, I'd probably feel like Suffo needed more recognition. Nothing wrong with that because they really do write stellar music. Well, not so much with the s/t and Souls to Deny, but nonetheless there hasn't been any drastic drop in quality. They've stuck it to their guns and have been around, so why the hell not?

I've just sort of come around the whole idea of recognition being something devoid of true integrity. I don't think that wanting more recognition necessarily means that you're a crybaby or that your goals are shallow. It's a fruitful endeavor. They want their music to reach more fans. They want more money probably too. So what?
I've found Jesus
Quote by Contraband
Meh, I'm not surprised. I'm sure if I were in Smith's shoes, I'd probably feel like Suffo needed more recognition. Nothing wrong with that because they really do write stellar music. Well, not so much with the s/t and Souls to Deny, but nonetheless there hasn't been any drastic drop in quality. They've stuck it to their guns and have been around, so why the hell not?

I've just sort of come around the whole idea of recognition being something devoid of true integrity. I don't think that wanting more recognition necessarily means that you're a crybaby or that your goals are shallow. It's a fruitful endeavor. They want their music to reach more fans. They want more money probably too. So what?
That's cool but... he plays in a death metal band. Suffocation has incredible amounts of fame for a band from that genre. Cannibal Corpse is about the only other death metal band who has more recognition than they do.

All I'm saying is that it's fine to want more, but he doesn't seem to understand that Suffocation gets more recognition than 99.9% of the great death metal bands in the world.
Perhaps he doesn't. I will admit, he does lack a certain level of modesty by not acknowledging that. But I take it they've gone through some dissapointing crap with labels and feel that they've been gipped a lot, which makes the comment about wanting to go on tour with Metallica, Ozzfest, Gigantour, etc. understandable. After all, what's left for a band like Suffocation to do? Continue to make more or less solid albums and continue to receive less attention than the trendwank that often gets put on big tours?

It's dissapointing to me as a listener, so I can understand why it would be even more dissapointing as a band. Yes, I am admitting that I don't always feel like 'my music' should always stay with 'my type' of crowd. I'm sure many people feel the desire to make quality metal even a little more popular. Now, it's been acknowledged a million times that taking the death metal route is admitting that you're comitting commercial suicide in a sense because your target market is so small. So people start to think that what all death metal bands want is only integrity and that they're only in it for the music. No doubt, there comes a time when you feel that the amount of work you've put in doesn't equate to what you're getting back.

I don't know how they compare with Cannibal Corpse and I don't know how comfortably they live, but it seems quite feasible that they carve out a less than meagre living. And a less than meagre one for an ambitious metal band at that.

With that said, I'm only looking at it like that because it's a band like Suffocation. There's nothing to indicate that they're only in existence at the moment for petty recognition. They're in it for sincere recognition. I may be terribly wrong. But alas, that is what I think. At the least, I am not an influential drummer in a pioneering death metal band that has been around for 20 years and counting.
I've found Jesus
Last edited by Contraband at Dec 9, 2009,
If it is sincere recognition he's looking for then yes, Suffocation has been shafted by the more mainstream metal community in that respect. I find there aren't enough "casual" death metal listeners who would be able to tell you that Suffocation was one of, if not THE most important bands in the genre.

I would contribute at least some of that to the fact that their biggest and most hyped releases have been the weaker ones (the ones you mentioned previously). They're more popular now than they ever have been and that's unfortunate because the stuff they're releasing, while not bad, isn't up to par with the rest of their material. I guess what I'm saying is that they kind of missed the boat on that one and agree that it was because of poor marketing, getting stuck on shitty labels, etc.

It was just the way he (implicitly) talked about -core bands that makes it seem like he was looking for commercial recognition, which is also very fair because ****, who doesn't like making money? You would be incredibly lucky to get that in any extreme genre to the point where if someone mentions it it kind of catches you off guard. He's also got to remember that when Suffocation came out the metal scene wasn't even close to the magnitude it is now, so it was just harder to get opportunities the way more extreme bands are getting them now.
Last edited by Inimical at Dec 9, 2009,
But then again he's there bitching and moaning when he's in Suffocation, yet Immolation, the band they rubbed shoulders with, go almost un-noticed these days. Suffo get name-dropped all over the place, no-one talks about Immolation, or indeed the thousands of stellar death metal bands all over the world. Shit happens.

I also expect the man to stop blowing his own fucking trumpet so much. A touch of humility would do him a world of good.
Last edited by webbtje at Dec 9, 2009,
I could see where his frustration stems from and perhaps explains his doucheness. As big and talented Suffocation are, they aren't exactly worshipped or fellated in the underground metal scene in the same way as Immolation, Incantation and other iconic bands which were created at around the same time and Suffocation is usually only brought up in an argument on whether breakdowns defines Deathcore. On the other hand, when they turn to the mainstream, they are denied the huge festivals as their music is not for the masses and the band, a veteran in the Metal Community, is forced to support smaller scene bands such as Whitechapel.
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Maybe he's just getting crushed under the weight of being management and band member. Many people in the past have been able to handle that kind of thing, but I guess he can't.
No, he's not modest. Yes, other bands deserve a lot too. Immolation especially. Yes, Suffocation are better off than most bands in their genre.

Doesn't mean they couldn't use more. Ideally, if Suffo gets put on bigger tours, it may give leverage to bands like Immolation to follow suit. Oiling the hinges, so to speak. I couldn't care less if it means more people jumping the wagon as long as more people are exposed to it. More exposure means more genuine fans which means more (deserved) recognition for the entire genre of death metal which means more people question what the most brutal band is out there and think twice about hyping up the trendy crap which means more respect and understanding for metal which means more people acknowledging that it's a legitimate form of art. That's just the good stuff. Surely it also means more twats, but eh. I for one, would not complain.

I say, let the market decide if Suffo and other death metal will pick up and go on to a wider audience. The problem is that they're not promoted to that wider audience because it apparently won't sell. But they need to try it regardless. All we need is a sticker that says "Like the Jonas Brothers? You'll love this new Immolation LP featuring the hit track "Burning the Once Ordained Jesus Amidst the Unsaved Filth of Agony".
I've found Jesus
Anyone else think Smith might be looking to Flo as an example?
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Quote by romencer17
Anyone else think Smith might be looking to Flo as an example?

I would love to ask him about that, but I'm sure the answer would be:

"I only listen to Suffocation, other bands are not worthy of my Suffo-ears.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyl1JUzsdcQ
Hope is the worst of evils, for it prolongs the torment of man