Hey so i'm not sure if this thread should go here or somewhere else (please move if theres a better place), but anyway

im looking into going into audio engineering and im looking for some schools in the greater toronto area

ive read a bit about metalworks institute but also heard some negative things about them

does anyone have any experience with any schools in that area or know which ones are respectable for like going into rock/punk?
From my understanding Metalworks is really only good if you want to get a job at Metalworks itself. I'm not aware of many specialty schools for audio engineering, but you should be able to find a program in one of the many community colleges around here, try Seneca for example.

I'd recommend you do a lot more research on getting into this industry though, since you should come to find out that having some sort of audio engineering "degree", may actually have little value when actually trying to find work in this field out of school.
If you are looking for GTA, i think you're better off looking for an internship to learn...however if you're looking surrounding area as well....then MetalWorks is where its at. Amazing quality school, however it is quite expensive. Tuition alone is $20k per year.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Don't you need to do the school before internship? If it means the same thing as a stage (spoken in french). That how it works here in quebec. Schools around here, espeically private ones, give its top students these positions durning and after graduating, with company's who accept them.

It a way to boost school credibility around here, to give students experience as well as knowledge. So its easier to get a job.
Last edited by nynejoe at Dec 9, 2009,
Quote by nynejoe
Don't you need to do the school before internship? If it means the same thing as a stage (spoken in french). That how it works here in quebec. Schools around here, espeically private ones, give its top students these positions durning and after graduating, with company's who accept them.

It a way to boost school credibility around here, to give students experience as well as knowledge. So its easier to get a job.

I am referring to an actual studio internship. Not just one at the school.
Yes a stage is at a studio as well...Or any production company for that matter.

You can do that?? Right to internship? Damn wish I had to know that

Its the teachers mentality that made me drop out of university lol
Last edited by nynejoe at Dec 9, 2009,
Quote by Brendan.Clace
If you are looking for GTA, i think you're better off looking for an internship to learn...however if you're looking surrounding area as well....then MetalWorks is where its at. Amazing quality school, however it is quite expensive. Tuition alone is $20k per year.

Metalworks is Mississauga, which is the GTA. Regardless I was going to suggest the internship route as well, but that isn't going to be an easy task without the connections or knowledge, both of which TS appears to lack.
Trebas Institute?
Professional Tracking, Mixing and Mastering available.
Available for live sound, consultation and rig/ system designing in and around the Montreal, CA area.
PM for details.

Past clients/ credits include: The Catalyst, Click! and Alain Caron.
Open house for trebas soon too. Ive been previous years. But its just so expesnive, especially since ive taken some courses already. From montreal as well....You go to trebas?
FOrgot to mention.....OIAST is an awesome school as well...however...at $40k per year...its a bit of a stretch for most people

School is in London.
Last edited by Brendan.Clace at Dec 9, 2009,