i took my gibson ls-6 around to get its frets replaced, but either the luthiers wouldnt touch it, or it would be alot(cheapest was 300$). I dont have sufficient funds right now, so i was told i could get a fret dress to give it its playability back. I dropped it off with this guy who had examined the frets and let him give it a fret dress. This was at my local guitar center which i honestly hate.

I got it back 2 days ago even though i dropped it off over a month ago, and he never called to say it was done. I emailed and he said it was after going in a few different times when it wasnt ready, or the guy wasnt there. the frets are terrible now, worse than before and even less to grip on to if i wanted to replace them: thus upping the price for getting new frets. I payed 120$ for a down grade. The guy also broke my ls-6 selector. It should change the tone, it should go 1-6, clicking at each number, stopping at 1-6. the knob goes a full 360 degrees now and doesnt select any tone, its just random and broken. Something is rattling on the inside too. I know it was fine before i took it in.

I am unhappy with the frets, and guitar center broke the switch and noone will take responsibility. I called the manager he said it wasnt his problem and to talk to the luthier who had worked on it. I emailed him, because i have few times i can go in and have no idea when he actually works. I got no response even though hes replied quickly to my emails before and even replys from his phone.

where should i go with this situation? I'm going to ask him to fix the switch for free because it wasnt broken before i dropped it off, and ask for a discount on getting new frets because it might as well be fret-less right now. Having a history with this specific guitar center i know they sell lies and most don't know what they're talking about. the reason i ask for help from UG is cause im not the most educated and i'm young. I dont have much experience with sales or having my property broken when its supposed to get repaired.

i meant to keep this short, but i failed so it would be greatly appreciated if i got any helpful replys.
Man, that sucks! The manager is a deuce, 'cause it should be every bit his problem if one of his employees sucks at his job! And you should definitely get the switch fixed free of charge, and if the frets are truly that awful, then at least try to get the discount! And as for the luthier, just keep stalking him 'till you see him face to face, eventually he's bound to be at the store...
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
K i will thanks equiv i really wasnt sure of myself, and ill give it a shot. I know i wont get my way cause im not persuasive. I know hell ask something like "do you like the frets" and ill say "might as well be fretless" and ill offend him. anyways, im sure i can work something out.

i reread my post and could have simplified it, but i like telling stories and ranting about how guitar center sucks. id burn gc down if i wouldnt get criminal charges, and wouldnt ruin their equipment.
Like i said im young and unexperienced, theyre trying to take advantage of this and rape my wallet. I doubt ill get my way cause i have no one to support me and theyre a whole store full of assholes.

Also if they refuse to do anything, whats the next step to take? I'd wanna haunt that place and just jam really loud. tell the customers how bad the people working there are. I wouldnt mind playing instruments i cant afford at all. still this doesnt serve my wallet or guitar justice.
How old are you? If you're a minor, get your parents to go with you, if you're over 18 you can do it yourself.

What you need to do is go in there and raise hell. Ask to speak to the manager and, if possible, the guy who actually worked on your guitar. Tell them that you aren't going to put up with any bullshit, and that you'll take them to court if need be.

From what it sounds like, they now need to replace your frets and either fix or replace the switch, or buy you a new guitar of equal or lesser value.

Do NOT settle for anything less than this. You need to go in, tell them exactly what the situation is, and what your demands are, and don't give up until they agree.
In fact, you may want to contact Guitar Center corporate and let them know what's up.
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
Ask for a full refund or a discount on new frets and tell them to fix the switch for free. If they don't, threaten them with this:

Quote by Giblets
tell the customers how bad the people working there are.

If they are not responding to this the way you want, hit them over the head with your guitar...
"Don’t be a guitarist. Be a musician."

Steve Howe
Thanks unforgiven and will.

i will go in and ask for the switch to get fixed. Im 18 and my parents wont help. Something the guy may bring up is that i had the guitar at Samash from 11/3-11/4 and dropped off my guitar the same day i picked it up from Samash which is literally right next to Guitarcenter in the same complex. this may question my credibility and question if SamAsh broke it. The luthier has record of this because of the emails i wrote on 11/3.However while in samash, before walking to GC, i took the guitar out while going over the tones with the repair guy. he didnt do anything for it he just did research and looked at the wiring. it was fine at this point.
Sometime during the month it was at guitar center the switch got broken.

If i dont get a resolution for the switch i will tell them ill contact guitar center corporate, then do it if the threat doesnt work.

As for the frets. I guess i got what i asked for. I was just lied to when i bought the guitar told i could get a fret dress and it would be playable, and was lied to again when i asked for a fret dress a few months later being told the same thing. Its just a weird feeling. i feel liek the strings are rubbing on the fretboard, and bending doesnt work out too well. I might do some research and see if i cant replace the frets myself. The problem is, the maple laquered fretboard. it will most definatly flake the finish. I wouldnt care if they did get replaced and the finish flakes off because i finished my acoustic guitar quite well. I could do some research on that too. I might end up paying for new frets to get installed and do the finishing touch ups myself. If i cant find someone to replace the frets without making me pay for the laquer, ill sell it as is with the frets notifying the buyer of the frets (im not cherry hills guitar center), or if research leads me to believe i have the ability to do the work myself, i will.

Once again thanks for the help guys. Im gonna get this resolved. I had to ask someone about the situation.
A few things to keep in mind:
-The tech might not be a GC employee, guitar shops often outsource their repair work to independent luthiers.
-Don't cheap out on a refret with that guitar. $300 is actually about right for a nice instrument like that, and you found out firsthand what happens when you take an expensive guitar to the place with the lowest price.
-The laquer thing is tough, but you have some options. Find a good luthier and talk to them about it, I'm sure they'll be able to work with you on that point.
-Be confident, make some noise. It sounds like GC screwed you over and they're not going to give a damn if you're nice about it. Talk to managers, and don't back down. If you're not getting the answer you want, ask to talk to someone higher up. Call corporate. You should not have to pay twice for an unplayable instrument.
Trust me, you are not alone when you say you hate your local store and the poeple there don't know what the **** they are talking about. I live near joondalup music, and they ****ing suck ass, idiots there and they have shit all stock and take months for new stock to get in.

Go up to the guy and complain like you are gonna break some shit.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
Don't be afraid to raise your voice, and go in when there are a lot of customers around. Businesses hate dis-satisfied customers around potential customers.

RAISE HELL!
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunatly, it kills all of its pupils.
Damn man, I'm sorry this happened to you. I would highly suggest talking to managers and gm's. Be level headed but assertive. Just today I got done talking to guitar center about a guitar I bought 13 years ago. The body was messed up and they gave me a 2004 strat which was better quality than the one I had originally purchased... so who knows. Be patient, calm and communicate your problem to them w/o alienating them and I'm sure they will do what they can to help you.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1240751&page=1&pp=20

Here's the thread where I posted my progress and results. Hope it helps. I'm sure things will work out! Best of luck.
Yea 300$ is about right for something like a LS6. Its not the kind of refret you would want to try to tackle as your first attempt. There is a bit of a learning curve with fret work.

Yea GC should step up and admit their involvement. Yea the GC didnt do the actual work but you did go thru them to a luthier they recommended. Problem is the way a place like GC works the manager is going to be very unwilling to help as any cash used to fix your guitar will probably come out of his paycheck. So hes gonna refer you to the luthier who is just going to continue to dodge you hoping you will eventually give up. That aside GC or sam ash is about the last place I would take a guitar for any kind of work, sorry their idiots.

You need to look around and find a good luthier in your area to do all your future work. Find somebody good and stick with em, they may not be the cheapest but a good luthier wont hang you out to dry either. A good luthier will tell you no those frets are to low to dress and will need to be replaced vs taking the money and screwing the job up. Figure the 120$ you wasted is almost half the cost of a refret.
Quote by Giblets
i took my gibson ls-6 around to get its frets replaced,
Makes sense. It's an old guitar. The frets probably had horrible grooves worn in them from the strings. Quite normal for a guitar with a lot of usage.

You mean an L6-S, right?

Quote by Giblets
i was told i could get a fret dress to give it its playability back.
erm, no. Dressing is dealing with the ends protruding on either side of the fretboard.

What was done here is leveling and probably crowning as well as polishing.

Quote by Giblets
the frets are terrible now, worse than before
How are they worse? Are they rough and uneven? Or are they just short? Leveling can't put material back on the frets. It can only take it off. The fret heights should follow a straight line now, and be free of irregularities. They will necessarily be shorter than the were.

Quote by Giblets
and even less to grip on to if i wanted to replace them: thus upping the price for getting new frets.
This is not true. It shouldn't cost a penny more to remove short frets than it would tall ones. The tool to remove them goes under the top section of the frets. Height doesn't matter.

Quote by Giblets
The guy also broke my ls-6 selector. It should change the tone, it should go 1-6, clicking at each number, stopping at 1-6. the knob goes a full 360 degrees now and doesnt select any tone, its just random and broken. Something is rattling on the inside too. I know it was fine before i took it in.
You will have a very difficult time proving that. GC and the luthier can both say there was no problem when they had the guitar. "It must have broken after you retrieved it." It will be your word against theirs.

A smart customer would have inspected the merchandise at the time he picked it up.

Quote by Giblets
I'm going to ask him to fix the switch for free because it wasnt broken before i dropped it off, and ask for a discount on getting new frets because it might as well be fret-less right now.
You might get satisfaction, but you'll probably be fighting an uphill battle. It would be easy for me to encourage you like all the others here have. But honestly, the burden of proof shifted to you once you walked out of the store with the guitar. If you had checked the guitar over and voiced your concerns then, it might have been a different story. As it stands now, your legal position is a bit weak.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
I had to walk out of the store because i was busy, but i wrote the email concerning the switch about 30 minutes after i walked out and called about 20 minutes after.

i am aware that a fret dress does not add material, but to be honest the frets seem like they were flatened, not rounded. I was not aware that a fret dress was to take off excess material cause if i knew the result would be a flatter smaller fret, i wouldnt have gone with the fret dress.

I didnt want to get all the frets replaced because i thought a fret dress would just take off some of the sides of the frets leaving it less "flat" and more playable so i could resell without the buyer really caring. I understand it would cost a lot to get the frets replaced, but i wish i was told more about the fret dress than i was because i would have payed to get the frets replaced had i known.

Also as i picked it up, i inspected what had been worked on. I didnt plug it in at the store + the guy who worked on my guitar wasnt even working when i picked it up. I didnt turn the knobs and make sure they were ok. Sorry im a dumb customer SYK.
okay first things first
if you where a professional musician your guitar is your money making machine
and the time it took them to do it u would have lost out on alot of money

the reason why they didnt call is because they know they facked it up
get them to loan u a guitar until they finish and expect them to pay for the new repairs
you will need to get the frets replaced sounds like they ground too much off

they should at least offer you money off the re fret
thanks stuart.

your right about making money, though im not a professional, they went about fixing my guitar in a very unprofessional matter. either they held off doing work on it, or never called me to tell me it was done. I really did lose money because i want to sell it for profit.

I probably will get a re fret. If they dont lower the price, im not sure what ill do, but looking at the frets now, the lower frets should come out with easy. the higher frets look like theyre laquered in.

thanks tackle berry too, i didnt read through your advice completely earlier. Im gonna flat out tell him "i dont like the frets. They are too low and im pissed you suggested getting a fret dress and told me it would be playable. A good luthier would have told me the frets were too low. "

If i pay for new fret wiring, itll be 300$ + 600-700$ i origionally payed, and 120$ i payed for a shitty fret dress. this doenst include if i cant get hte switch fixed for free. This is a terrible investment on my part. Once i noticed how much it would be to fix the frets, i wanted to resell it. If i end up not getting a high enough price for it, ill just keep it. Its got a lot of tones, though not the best tones, its very versatile. Its weird like playing a heavier SG though. I also found out the origional humbuckers were replaced and the wiring was set to just the neck pickup. Not that its disconnected from the bridge one, but i was told it serves the same function as both pickups, just on the one pick up.
Just wanted to say that I really feel for your situation and I hope you get some sort of satisfaction from GC.

I'm left wondering why the other luthiers would not do the fret work in the first place; but they were probably too far gone; sometimes frets get worn down too far and you just can't level them any further because you end up with all kinds of problems like a really thin tone, wacky intonation, and it just becomes difficult to even do a proper set up.

Since you don't know much about refrets and apparently the tech at GC didn't either, I'm wondering if he even put a proper crown on the frets as that can make all the difference in the resulting tone; if the crown is too flat it will sound dead, but if the fret is too low to the wood of the neck then it will probably sound dead anyway.

Ya, so the first luthiers that refused to work on it were probably right not to want to do the fret level if they were too far worn in the first place, but I don't know why they wouldn't want to do a total refret unless they lacked the experience or it had binding issues or wasn't cost effective in which case they were only being responsible.

Sounds like this guy at GC was only out to make money or lacked experience to know that you can only do so much work on frets. Sad but true... if you look long enough you will always find somebody who's willing to do work that shouldn't be done.

I still don't think you should have to take this kind of abuse; unless you were forewarned about the frets being shot out (and it sounds like your were told they were an easy fix)... then GC should help make this right.

So that's what I would do... I would tell GC that you gave them the chance to fix the guitar (that they said was fixable!!!) and apparently they couldn't do it so you want a refund or exchange on the guitar. And if they insist that it was fixable then ask them why it's not fixed and why several other luthiers said they didn't want to touch it?

In fact, you should ask the original luthiers why they didn't want to work on it and get it in writing... my guess is that the frets or neck was too far gone to bother with.

Good luck my friend, I hope you really screw with this tech at GC so he doesn't fck up somebody else's guitar!!!
~JP~
JP,
i was told by other luthiers, that refretting would damage hte laquer. when i went to GC the guy said it would just be expensive so he could refinish the flaked laquer. I didnt have 300$ at the time, and still dont really have 300$ to spare, but i would have gone with that option. He said a fret dress would make it play like new. and he broke the switch, so im completely pissed off.

Your also right it does have a much thiner tone, i was checking the intonation, but am unsure if its as it was before.

I had a lot of time to go into but i was counting on school work and still gotta go back to class, but im going in as soon as i know im free and can whoop some ass.

Is crowning like a rounded fret? theyre definatly not crowned at all if so. theyre thinner than before, and flat. It seemed like they got flatter becuase i used to look down at it and see the frets protrude and they really dont anymore.
Quote by Giblets
JP,
i was told by other luthiers, that refretting would damage hte laquer. when i went to GC the guy said it would just be expensive so he could refinish the flaked laquer. I didnt have 300$ at the time, and still dont really have 300$ to spare, but i would have gone with that option. He said a fret dress would make it play like new. and he broke the switch, so im completely pissed off.

Your also right it does have a much thiner tone, i was checking the intonation, but am unsure if its as it was before.

I had a lot of time to go into but i was counting on school work and still gotta go back to class, but im going in as soon as i know im free and can whoop some ass.

Is crowning like a rounded fret? theyre definatly not crowned at all if so. theyre thinner than before, and flat. It seemed like they got flatter becuase i used to look down at it and see the frets protrude and they really dont anymore.

That's probably at least part of the problem... the flatter the surface of the fret the more string that comes in contact with the fret before the string can ring out the note... consequently it sounds almost flat and thin.

In my experience, when your frets start to get lower to the board you are better off with a triangular shaped crown on your fret than a round shaped crown as the string comes in contact with less of the fret and sounds better.

If the frets are nice and level (sounds like all he did was level them and didn't give them a good crown) then the crowning shouldn't be that much work... as long as he didn't level them to far making it too hard to get a good crown.

I would take your guitar to another luthier and explain to him what happened and ask him if the crowns are finished and, if not, get it in writing and take it back to GC and tell them you want somebody who knows what they're doing to finish the work.
~JP~
Last edited by Jammy Pige at Dec 9, 2009,
JP taking it to another luthier and getting their reply on paper is the best thing to do for the frets. Tommorow ill get all this done.

Thanks for everyoens advice.
no joke dude
go kick some ass for everone whos gotten ****ed over by guitarcenter
Telecaster bass :
FINALLY PLAYABLE!
[x]body
[x]neck
[x]humbucker
[x]jazz pup
[x]split p pups
[x]hardware
[x]bridge
[x]pickguard
[ ]finish/paint
[x]wiring/electronics
I had a similar problem when I was around 18. What I did was get this biker dude to go down to the store with me and my problem was solved in literally 10 seconds.

He really didn't do anything but of corse they treated him very differently.

Not sure if that helps you......
1. The SG stands for “solid guitar.”
http://www.bbb.org/
Report them to the Better Business Bureau..or at least threaten them with doing it. If they screwed you and they are being shady, don't let them get away with it.
Someone already said it, but I want to confirm that Guitar Center almost always outsources their repair work, so it was probably not a GC employee.
I wrote a tutorial (with pics) a while back regarding fret levelling and crowning if you want to consult that to figure out what he's done to your guitar. It sounds like he did half the job.

If he doesn't know how to (and/or doesn't care enough to) do a decent level and crown, you certainly don't want to take it to him for a refret. If he did break your switch, GC won't help you at all. They are looking for the lowest bidder who has certifications when it comes to repair work, and if he's the dude they want, that's who they're going to stick with. Probably because nobody else will take the gig. The GC in my area doesn't even have a repair service right now because the 2 decent repair guys they had in the last few years both got sick of dealing with them.

Also, the guitar repair community is generally fairly small, unless you're in a huge city, most of the luthiers around will know each other and know each other's work. Talk to another luthier and see if you can find one who has fixed guitars that the GC guy has ****ed up before... that sort of awful work and customer service is not an isolated incident, guys like that have a pattern. If you can find someone who has fixed his mistakes in the past, you're on the right track.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Owned.

I suggest not screwing with the UGer with the best name on the site.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
I don't see how prostitution is going to help out your string buzz...
Last edited by Rebelw/outaCord at Dec 9, 2009,
Ah I just figured out you were in Cherry Hill; I know exactly what you're talking about.

I brought a guitar in there too and they did a crap job on my pickups. Losers. Everything mentioned before in this post is exactly right. I live in Barrington so I'm back and forth to the Sam Ash/ Guitar Center there.

Have you talked to a guy there named Steve Goldwin? I believe he is a manager there at Guitar Center and is a really good guy to talk to; really knows his stuff. I'm sure if you were to ask for him, he'd be more than happy to help you out; discount or in some other way.
As a music retail employee, I may have some insight to offer.

The temptation will be for the GM to blame the luthier, who is not a GC employee. GC does not have a repair department, often times they work with independent luthiers, though I have seen fret dressing being done at GC. I don't know if his store gets a cut for the referrals, but GC seems to be willing to refer to anyone, even competitors. However, if you dropped it off and picked it up at GC, then they almost certainly have a relationship. Usually once you refer someone to someone else, you don't really have anything to do to it.

Have you talked to a guy there named Steve Goldwin? I believe he is a manager there at Guitar Center and is a really good guy to talk to; really knows his stuff. I'm sure if you were to ask for him, he'd be more than happy to help you out; discount or in some other way.

If this employee really is helpful, this may be your best bet.

If you let me know how the GM responds, I can advise you on how to raise Cain properly. Like I said, the GM will first shift blame. "It's not my fault, it's the luthier's fault, talk to him." If he continues to insist that the luthier is not a GC employee and cannot do anything to help, get assertive. He's trying to duck the problem, there's no excuse for him not to take responsibility for shoddy repairs happening in his store. If he won't help you and you can't get the luthier to talk to you, drastic measures may be necessary.

Others have suggested calling corporate. This can have mixed results. Talking to a customer service rep will usually be a dead end. Sometimes, if GC has a customer service department, they will be helpful or a customer service manager will be helpful, but often you will simply get rerouted into a black hole of extensions. The best thing to do after trying customer service is to be very angry until you get someone on the line who can do something about this.

If you want to try, here is the GC customer service information.

I cringe at suggesting you yell at someone in customer service. It's not their fault this happened, but I'm telling you, if you want help from above, you've got to get pretty mad. I've never met a corporate middle or upper manager who didn't respond to yelling customers. A lot of the time, that's the only thing they respond to. If someone can't help you, ask to speak to the manager above them. You have to be angry, they won't like trying to get their supervisor involved because they'll have to explain the problem.

I try to help out nice and patient customers the most since I appreciate their courtesy, but most employees don't think that way.

In any case, there is a solid chance you're going to have to talk to the luthier, but there's no reason not to try to get the GM to help you wrangle a response out of the d-bag, since he ****ed up your nice guitar.

As a side note, not all GC employees are bad. Many of them suck, but not all of them. Do your homework and know their products and you'll never get taken for a ride, most of guitar salesmen aren't smart enough to pull many fast ones.
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer
Last edited by GravyFish at Dec 9, 2009,
Quote by Giblets
i am aware that a fret dress does not add material, but to be honest the frets seem like they were flatened, not rounded. I was not aware that a fret dress was to take off excess material cause if i knew the result would be a flatter smaller fret, i wouldnt have gone with the fret dress.
Okay, let's get you up to speed on the terminology, k?

Fret Leveling = removing material on the height of the frets so they are all even.

Fret Crowning = rounding the profile of each fret.

Fret Dressing = removing excess material from the ends of each fret and putting a chamfer on the end so it isn't sharp or abrupt.

Fret Polishing = exactly what it sounds like. Making all exposed surfaces of the fret smooth.

Quote by Giblets
Sorry im a dumb customer SYK.
Maybe some of the things I've said in my previous can help you for the next time?
Not just on guitars, but in general, yeah?
No one is born a "smart customer".
We learn by reviewing problems we've had and figuring out how to protect ourselves.

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
this is all in response to what i just read and had something to add.

So does a fret dressing include crowning and leveling? I guess not, but i dont see how what you described fret dressing is going to help with playability which was my goal that i told the luthier.

I dont know steve goldwin, i suppose i could ask around, but i spoke with lance.

No not all GC employees are bad, but for some reason all the good ones arnt salesmen. I suppose its cuz theyre salesmen that pisses me off. Its not like i could have prepared. i went in put money down did research on the guitar, found it was a good deal, they said it would be 100$ for a fret dressing which would make it good as new. doesnt seem like it did the job, but i put my trust into the repair guy, not a salesman. Both the repair guy and salesman told me the same thing. I also wouldnt yell at customer service unless they were shitty customer service. Its hard for me to remain calm in these situations being young and pissed off at people i put trust into, but i wont yell at anyone, just point out ill have to do something because its not right that they broke my guitar. If anyone id yell at the luthier for not being a good luthier because he either lied, didnt explain enough, misunderstood, or did a crap job. He also never called me, and took a whole month to fix it.

i hate the relationship between customer and salesperson, but at GC it just sickens me. I dont wanna buy anything from anyone there because i dont want them to benefit haha. Sam ash is much better especially with accessorys and environment, but GC is where to go for guitars.

Im atleast shooting for a free repair on the switch and ill just leave em alone. Ill go in , talk to the guy if hes in, if not play their drums, then ask when he does come in. Once i get to talk to him ill ask him about teh switch, ask if he can repair it and if he got my email. then ask him what he did with the frets. And continue from there. if i get nothing ill see what i can do from there. i got a suggestion to go to BBB and found the nearest location, someone siad to call corporate which seems likely but ill probably find out he isnt a GC employee (fairly certain hes not) but GC is involved becuase they told me about getting a fret dress in the first place and its where my guitar was when it broke. If i cant get anything done, ill get it fixed by samash. post pics on CList and see if i get a high enough offer. If not ill fix the frets try the same thing, if not keep it. Im sure i can find a high enough offer though. As long as its more than what i payed for by at least 25$ ill be happy.
Just got back from the store. He fixed the switch for free. I didnt bother bringing up the frets cause i feel like i overreacted a bit. I suppose he did a good job, though i am displeased. Its not true thats its not playable you just have to push kind of hard. Im gonna hold on to it for a while and see if i can sell it for a profit.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Fret Dressing = removing excess material from the ends of each fret and putting a chamfer on the end so it isn't sharp or abrupt

To be fair, I've often heard "dressing" used in place of leveling. The luthier at my store's shop uses the term this way, as do many places on the 'net.
I Japanese Fenders
Quote by Giblets
Just got back from the store. He fixed the switch for free. I didnt bother bringing up the frets cause i feel like i overreacted a bit. I suppose he did a good job, though i am displeased. Its not true thats its not playable you just have to push kind of hard. Im gonna hold on to it for a while and see if i can sell it for a profit.

Is the action higher than it was before? Lowering the action at the bridge may help, to get it like it was before the nut may need to be filed, which the luthier should have done when he leveled the frets... he should have done a fresh set up on the guitar to compensate for the fret work.

In the future do not have luthiery work done through guitar center, find an independent luthier and deal with him personally. Or learn to do the work yourself.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
Quote by GravyFish
To be fair, I've often heard "dressing" used in place of leveling. The luthier at my store's shop uses the term this way, as do many places on the 'net.

Well, that may be true, but let's face it... it's very misleading to tell somebody "hey this guitar is a real beauty; all she needs is good dressing and she'll be perfect" if what you really mean is "the frets need to be leveled, recrowned, and dressed."

That's like a car salesman saying to a customer "all this car needs is a tranny fluid change and she'll run perfect" when what you really mean is "the tranny is shot out and needs to be rebuilt and she'll run perfect" if you know what I mean.

So I know what you mean GravyFish, but for the sake of running an honest business they need to use technical volcabulary that is accurate and that the customer understands... especially since rounding the ends of the frets is not going to cost nearly as much as level, crown & dressing.
~JP~
Last edited by Jammy Pige at Dec 10, 2009,
Quote by Jammy Pige
If the frets are nice and level (sounds like all he did was level them and didn't give them a good crown) then the crowning shouldn't be that much work... as long as he didn't level them to far making it too hard to get a good crown.

This is the only think you can really call him on, for having failed to do a full fret dress. He should have leveled and crowned them, but obviously hasn't crowned.

As for the switch, just fix it yourself. It's not worth the bother, and as SYK has stated, you should have inspected the guitar before leaving the store. You could have done anything to it since leaving - I'm not implying that you have, but that will be their response.
No joke, be an asshole about it. He wants to be an asshole and return your guitar in such a condition, and not answer, let him know your mad, and you mean business. Tear him a new one.
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Silverburst Epiphone Les Paul Custom
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Ibanez TS9DX Turbo Tube Screamer
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone
-MXR Carbon Copy
Last edited by fender4482 at Dec 10, 2009,
gc sucks so just go in there and raise hell cause and if they dont give you what you want tell everyone in the store to not buy any of their stuff!
Quote by Jammy Pige
Well, that may be true, but let's face it... it's very misleading to tell somebody "hey this guitar is a real beauty; all she needs is good dressing and she'll be perfect" if what you really mean is "the frets need to be leveled, recrowned, and dressed."

That's like a car salesman saying to a customer "all this car needs is a tranny fluid change and she'll run perfect" when what you really mean is "the tranny is shot out and needs to be rebuilt and she'll run perfect" if you know what I mean.

So I know what you mean GravyFish, but for the sake of running an honest business they need to use technical volcabulary that is accurate and that the customer understands... especially since rounding the ends of the frets is not going to cost nearly as much as level, crown & dressing.

I'm saying he was using the technical vocabulary correctly. Fret dressing refers to the entire process. Just check out a fficial&client=firefox-a">Google search.. I'm not the only one who uses the phrase to refer to a complete leveling and crowning.
I Japanese Fenders
Quote by GravyFish
I'm saying he was using the technical vocabulary correctly. Fret dressing refers to the entire process. Just check out a fficial&client=firefox-a">Google search.. I'm not the only one who uses the phrase to refer to a complete leveling and crowning.

Right... sorry if that came out wrong... I understand some people use the term dressing that way... just look at some guitar repair shop listings of services and some will not even mention "level and crown" and they will use dressing instead, but what I meant was that it would have been totally misleading if the salesman who sold him the guitar meant "level and crown" but led him to believe just the ruff end edges of the frets... same with the luthier.

So all I'm saying is I prefer "level and crown" to describe that process rather than just "dressing" because to me dressing could really mean just crowning or just rounding the sharp edges. Anyway, sorry if I sounded like I was correcting you ... I'm just agreeing but pointing out how misleading the term "dressing" can be.

TS: any news on the status of your guitar?
~JP~
Last edited by Jammy Pige at Dec 14, 2009,