Hi there, this is a question on behalf of my friend.

We live in New Zealand, and the mains voltage is 240v. He wants to know if he could import a Dual Rectifier from America (It's cheaper that way) without having to change the transformer etc.

If he imported one, would he need any work done for it to be safe to use?

Cheers.
RIP Tom Searle.
Quote by MH400

We live in New Zealand, and the mains voltage is 240v. He wants to know if he could import a Dual Rectifier from America (It's cheaper that way) without having to change the transformer etc.

Cheers.

You could get a 240V power transformer from Mercury Magnetics and change the fuse... but I'm not sure what else you might need to change, although I think its only the PT and the fuse

Otherwise, get a 1000V step-down transformer... this is what I did for my Mark V
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
^ Listen to ragingkitty and invest in a step down transformer.

IIRC replacing the power transformers is one of the most expensive upgrades in an amp but step downs are really cheap in comparison.
Quote by MH400

Cheers.

Hmm. Did you know that Rockshop are having a sale on Rectifiers?

MESA Dual Rectifier - 100W 3ch Head
RRP $4,799
Selling at $2,999

MESA Triple Rectifier - 150W 3ch Head
RRP $4,999
Selling at $3,299
Can we erase the past?
To allow our dreams to forever last?

Gear:

Mesa Boogie Mini Rec 25
Mesa Boogie Rectifier 2x12 cab

Jackson DK2, DK2M, DKMGT, SLAT3-7, DK1
Last edited by signedinbloodnz at Dec 9, 2009,
Quote by TOMMYB22

IIRC replacing the power transformers is one of the most expensive upgrades in an amp but step downs are really cheap in comparison.

Thanks, I'll let my friend know.

Quote by signedinbloodnz

RRP $4,799
Selling at $2,999

RRP $4,999
Selling at $3,299

Thats a big sale! Especially for the Rockshop. They usually charge rip-off prices.
RIP Tom Searle.
It's not just Rectifiers, it's marshall and line six too

MESA BOOGIE
RRP $4,799
Sale $2,999

RRP $4,999
Sale $3,299

MARSHALL
Marshall JVM410H - 100W4ch Head
RRP $3,299
Sale $2,499

Marshall JVM210H - 100W2ch Head
RRP $2,999
Sale $2,299

Marshall JVM205H - 50W2ch Head
RRP $2,699
Sale $1,999

Marshall Vintage Modern 100WHead (purple)
RRP $2,999
Sale $1,999

Marshall Vintage Modern 50W Head (purple)
RRP $2,699
Sale $1,899

Marshall JCM800 Kerry King Signature
RRP $2,999
Sale $1,999

Marshall Jimi Hendrix FULL STACK
RRP $9,999
Sale $4,999

Marshall Mode Four - 350W 4ch Head
RRP $2,799
Sale $2,799 + free MF280A Cab

Marshall Handwired Lead & Bass - 20W Head
RRP $2,699
Sale $1,999

LINE6 / BOGNER
Bogner Alchemist - 40W2ch Tube Head
RRP $2,699
Sale $1,499

Line6 HD147 - 350W Modelling Head
RRP $2,499
Sale $1,699

Line6 Duoverb Head - 100W Modelling Head
RRP $2,799
Sale $699

CABINETS

Marshall 1960A 4x12 Cabinet
RRP $1,699
Sale $1,299

Marshall VM Cab (purple) - Greenback speakers
RRP $1,699
Sale $1,499
Can we erase the past?

Gear:

Mesa Boogie Mini Rec 25

Quote by TOMMYB22

Actually.. the parts aren't pricy... but the service to get it change is insanely expensive.

Its pretty easy operation IF you know what you're doing... its a matter of snipping 3 wires and joining the appropriate 3 wires from the new transformer then mounting the new transformer to the chassis . However, doing it correctly and in a safe manner is not a simple job, and one that's best left to a qualified technician.

Done wrong... it will result in death, explosions and fire... not to mention the loss of your amp. Not necessarily in that order.

You'll need the specs to ensure that you get the correct wattage of the step-down transformer. For my Mark V, it draws 400 watts (110v X 4 ampres)... BUT Mesa and everyone who know electrical products recommends that the step-down transformer be at least capable of handling DOUBLE the wattage draw. Hence the 1000 watt transformer.

The brand I got was Newstar, so you can look into that as well. However check the wattage draw of the amp before you buy the transformer.

The reason you need a transformer capable of double the wattage draw is because when you start the amp, there is a sudden power draw spike, which in the worst case can double the draw from the amp. If your transformer cannot handle the spike, it will short out and provide a sudden surge in power, overloading your amp's power transformer, killing it and blowing the PT in the process.

Quote by MH400
Thats a big sale! Especially for the Rockshop. They usually charge rip-off prices.

Even at those prices its damned expensive.

From what I understand 240V Mesas are so expensive because of the 240v transformers they use.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Dec 9, 2009,
Quote by MH400
Thanks, I'll let my friend know.

Those are still terrible prices, but we (Aus & NZ) get ripped off massively for Mesa's. I really don't know how they can justify it. Buy from the US, and if your really anal about it just spend the cash to replace the power transformer, it'll still cost less.
Quote by TOMMYB22
Those are still terrible prices, but we (Aus & NZ) get ripped off massively for Mesa's. I really don't know how they can justify it. Buy from the US, and if your really anal about it just spend the cash to replace the power transformer, it'll still cost less.

However, it will void your warranty.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I do agree with us Kiwis getting charged crap prices.

I shall show my friend the replies. Once again, cheers.
RIP Tom Searle.
Quote by ragingkitty
However, it will void your warranty.

True but when you ship it that far across the world you are pretty much voiding your warranty. To send it back and forth with Mesa would hundreds of dollars on shipping on tp of the price of repairs. It would be better to get it repaired locally.
Quote by TOMMYB22
True but when you ship it that far across the world you are pretty much voiding your warranty. To send it back and forth with Mesa would hundreds of dollars on shipping on tp of the price of repairs. It would be better to get it repaired locally.

... using the Mesa out of the States doesn't void your warranty methinks... at least Mesa didn't say nothing about it the last time I checked (2 months ago).

However, you are right... the shipping is helluva pricy and not worth it at all.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by MH400
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I do agree with us Kiwis getting charged crap prices.

I shall show my friend the replies. Once again, cheers.

Have you checked TradeMe? My cousin gets quite a bit of deals there.

He got a Mark IIC+ for a smashing price on TradeMe.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
The step-down transformer is probably your best bet. Power transformers for those amps are pretty expensive, probably $300 just for the part. I'd be glad to install one and send the amp to you (I've done amp work for UGers before) but it's much cheaper to just use an outboard unit.

I don't know how soon you were thinking of getting one, but there's a dual recto for sale near me for $1100. If you'd be interested in having me ship it to you, shoot me a PM.
Quote by Roc8995
The step-down transformer is probably your best bet. Power transformers for those amps are pretty expensive, probably $300 just for the part. I'd be glad to install one and send the amp to you (I've done amp work for UGers before) but it's much cheaper to just use an outboard unit.

In comparison, the step-down transformer cost me SGD$102. Which is about NZ$100.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
... using the Mesa out of the States doesn't void your warranty methinks... at least Mesa didn't say nothing about it the last time I checked (2 months ago).

However, you are right... the shipping is helluva pricy and not worth it at all.

Nah i didn't mean that literally you will lose your warranty i just meant that the amount of shipping on getting it back to the Mesa factory in California just wouldn't be worth it.

Like for instance i was looking at a Mesa combo on US ebay (i think it was an F-30 or Rectoverb, whatever) and the shipping to Australia was like $340. When you ship that back and forth and pay the repairing costs it just wouldn't be worth the effort, it would be cheaper to just get it repaired from a skilled amp tech locally.
Quote by TOMMYB22
Nah i didn't mean that literally you will lose your warranty i just meant that the amount of shipping on getting it back to the Mesa factory in California just wouldn't be worth it.

Like for instance i was looking at a Mesa combo on US ebay (i think it was an F-30 or Rectoverb, whatever) and the shipping to Australia was like $340. When you ship that back and forth and pay the repairing costs it just wouldn't be worth the effort, it would be cheaper to just get it repaired from a skilled amp tech locally.

Oh yeah that is VERY true... it just ain't worth the effort.

Plus you'd have to worry about your amp during transit.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
Oh yeah that is VERY true... it just ain't worth the effort.

Plus you'd have to worry about your amp during transit.

Yeah for the same price he could go back on US ebay and pick up a new Dual Recto head.
Quote by TOMMYB22
Yeah for the same price he could go back on US ebay and pick up a new Dual Recto head.

Well... you have all the answers you need now TS lol.

However, one good point about Mesa is the customer service.

It doesn't matter if you're the first or the 5th owner of a Mesa... they treat you as though you are the first owner and tend to be very helpful.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
Well... you have all the answers you need now TS lol.

However, one good point about Mesa is the customer service.

It doesn't matter if you're the first or the 5th owner of a Mesa... they treat you as though you are the first owner and tend to be very helpful.

Even with Mesa's excellent record for customer support, helping someone on the other side of the world would be a difficult task.
Quote by TOMMYB22

good advice, i agree, however i'd also like to point out that mm ot's are quite a nice upgrade and are well worth the cost.

EDIT: my two cents regarding mesa customer service... I've had techs on the line and in person who were nothing short of the most helpful dudes ever, but i've also had a handful of experiences that were as much of a nightmare as the good ones were helpful... infact i'm still waiting on a particular e-mail going on a month or so now.
Last edited by GrisKy at Dec 9, 2009,
Quote by GrisKy
good advice, i agree, however i'd also like to point out that mm ot's are quite a nice upgrade and are well worth the cost.

EDIT: my two cents regarding mesa customer service... I've had techs on the line and in person who were nothing short of the most helpful dudes ever, but i've also had a handful of experiences that were as much of a nightmare as the good ones were helpful... infact i'm still waiting on a particular e-mail going on a month or so now.

I suggest sending them a reminder email, i doubt their lazy but they probably lost track of your email or just forgot. There a pretty big company.
Quote by TOMMYB22
^ now i think its time to get angry, break shit brah

WRONG!

Its time to put on "Ya'all want a single"... then get angry and break shit brah.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by signedinbloodnz

RRP $4,799
Selling at $2,999

RRP $4,999
Selling at $3,299

Or he could buy one second hand in america for 1000US, 350US shipping, 100NZD for a stepdown transformer... everything landed for 1,966.20 + tax.
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Quote by R.D
Or he could buy one second hand in america for 1000US, 350US shipping, 100NZD for a stepdown transformer... everything landed for 1,966.20 + tax.

That's true but I don't think any online places ship to New Zealand, unless the TS has a close friend he can trust in the US with something worth that amount of money to ship overseas.
Can we erase the past?

Gear:

Mesa Boogie Mini Rec 25

Quote by R.D

I think you calculated wrong, i reckon at max it would be 1500 + 15% tax