does anyone know like what these are respectively, and how they differ from normal major/minor chords/arpeggios?
someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm pretty sure a diminished chord is a major chord with a flat 3rd and 5th, and an augmented chord is a major chord with a #5th. They are "ugly" sounding chords, but can sound great in the right context (just like anything I suppose). I'm not really sure how augmented chords fit in with major and minor scales, but in the minor scale, the ii chord is diminished. In the major scale the vii chord is diminished.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
half diminished is the vii of the major scale. a fully diminished (bb7) is dissonant to all keys

edit: oh my bad forgot we were looking at triads
Last edited by motoko at Dec 9, 2009,
major = 1 3 5
minor = 1 b3 5
half diminished = 1 b3 b5 (b7)
diminished = 1 b3 b5 (bb7)
augmented = 1 3 #5
A Diminished chord is built on the vii degree of the major scale and has is spelt 1 b3 b5. It is mostly used in first inversion and acts as a dominant. If you add the diatonic 7th you get a minor 7th which leads to a half diminished ( or _m7b5) chord.

If you build a 7th chord on the vii degree of the harmonic minor scale you get a diminished 7th chord ( 1 b3 b5 bb7).

Augmented chords ( 1 3 #5) are built from the 3rd degree of the harmonic minor scale, used as passing chords in jazz and used in some 20th century music.

If you add a minor 7th to an augmented chord you get a _7aug or a _7#5 chord. These act as dominants in minor keys.
Last edited by griffRG7321 at Dec 9, 2009,
Quote by motoko
major = 1 3 5
minor = 1 b3 5
half diminished = 1 b3 b5 (b7)
diminished = 1 b3 b5 (bb7)
augmented = 1 3 #5

what is a "bb7"
Quote by rockzilla411
what is a "bb7"

Its a seventh that has been flattened again. It is enharmonic (same pitch, but different note name) to a major sixth.
Quote by motoko
it's two b's and a 7

and i was here thinking it was a double diminished 7th.
Classical Guitarist
Quote by Zep_shizzle
and i was here thinking it was a double diminished 7th.

nope

definitely two b's and one 7
Quick tip: A diminished 7th arpeggio goes up and down by minor thirds, and an augmented arpeggio goes up and down by major thirds.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea