Recently I created a thread about getting a HT-5 into metal territory via an OD but I've been thinking that might be a bad idea. I was thinking I'd just get a reasonable distortion pedal and run it instead. I've been looking at getting a metal muff and running it into the clean channel.

I'm trying to get a quite heavy distortion, Similar to the mesa tones from Kirk Hammet (Early stuff of course) and Petrucci (I know they use different amps - I just want it to get heavy).

ATM it can sorta get into Megadeth territory and more classic metal but only just (With the gain maxed out and the amp past 5). What would UG reccomend?

The Budget is about $125 US (New preferably as I live in OZ and need international shipping - im buying off ebay)

edit: I'm talking about running an OD/Dist into a HT-5...not trying to buy a mesa for $125
The gear:

* Epiphone Les Paul Custom
* Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 String
* Fender Squier P Bass
* Blackstar Stage HT-60
* Original Crybaby
* EHX Small Clone
* Boss DD-3
Last edited by hendrixftw at Dec 9, 2009,
Err... you sure your budget is not $1,250?

I don't think you can get much for $125, much less a tone close to JP or KH.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
I think he means an OD..

Try a Digitech Hardwire CM-2
or Ibanez TS-9
Can we erase the past?
To allow our dreams to forever last?

Gear:

Mesa Boogie Mini Rec 25
Mesa Boogie Rectifier 2x12 cab

Jackson DK2, DK2M, DKMGT, SLAT3-7, DK1
yeah my bad, im talking about pedals lol, not a new amp. I need something to make my HT-5 heaver.

And signedinblood, apparently it takes the TS-9 awfully
The gear:

* Fender Squier P Bass
* Blackstar Stage HT-60
* Original Crybaby
* EHX Small Clone
* Boss DD-3
Quote by signedinbloodnz
I think he means an OD..

Try a Digitech Hardwire CM-2
or Ibanez TS-9

I guess that was pretty phail
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Based on what I have done... a Catalinbread DLS -> Fulltone OCD (18V) gets you a wide range of metal sounds... but I've not achieved a particular DT or early Metallica sound yet...
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Well with a good boost, the HT-5 CAN do metal but without heavy tweaking on a 10 band EQ Mesa tones are a pipe dream. I don't care about the ISF, it just doesn't sound like a Mesa.

It also sounds too vintage voiced for what you want. If you want to save some troble just go boutique and get a nice distortion. Pedals that replicate Mesa's aren't as common as the 1,000,000 Plexi pedals but there are a few if you look, the Wampler Triple Wreck is an example.

Quote by hendrixftw

And signedinblood, apparently it takes the TS-9 awfully

Well you'd be wrong.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Last edited by TOMMYB22 at Dec 9, 2009,
Quote by TOMMYB22
Pedals that replicate Mesa's aren't as common as the 1,000,000 Plexi pedals but there are a few if you look, the Wampler Triple Wreck is an example.

True... however, the Triple Wreck is Recto voiced... the TS'll need a Mark voiced pedal.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
At this stage im thinking I might boost my HT-5 with a CM-2 hardwire OD?
Would boosting the OD channel give me better result then a metal muff on clean
The gear:

* Fender Squier P Bass
* Blackstar Stage HT-60
* Original Crybaby
* EHX Small Clone
* Boss DD-3
Quote by hendrixftw

Hard to say really... you'll need to test it out.

Although I suspect you'll get a pretty tight bass and probably more prominent highs. So long as the bass doesn't go into chugga mode... it will sound better than the metal muff... but don't expect a Mark tone.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by hendrixftw

I don't think you read my post. Boosting will definitely sound better than a metal muff (because they're kinda crap) however it will NOT sound anywhere near a Mesa.

Even so, you won't get anything of help without $125USD.

Quote by ragingkitty
True... however, the Triple Wreck is Recto voiced... the TS'll need a Mark voiced pedal.

Yeah but thats the closest he can get. Some more EQ'ing might make it sound Mark'ish.

Don't you think it's strange that Mesa's are arguably the worlds most popular metal amps and yet there are so few pedals and amps emulating them (besides modelling amps of course).
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Quote by TOMMYB22
I don't think you read my post. Boosting will definitely sound better than a metal muff (because they're kinda crap) however it will NOT sound anywhere near a Mesa.

Word.

I don't mean to burst your bubble TS, but that is the painful truth. Nothing sounds like a Mark, other than a Mark.

Quote by TOMMYB22
Yeah but thats the closest he can get. Some more EQ'ing might make it sound Mark'ish.

I can tell you what kind of pedals he's gonna need...

1. He'll need a pedal which is like a reverse compressor... to "open" up the high end frequencies. Like the Fulltone OCD on 18v mode... but quite a bit more drastic.

2. He'll need something really tighten up the bass massively.

3. He'll need an aggressive gain pedal to bump up the mids.

4. A pretty powerful EQ.

5. Something to simulate the Simul-class transformers

Without pedals to fulfill each of these needs, he won't get anything close to a Mark sound. Even then, it'll take a lot of tweaking.

Quote by TOMMYB22
Don't you think it's strange that Mesa's are arguably the worlds most popular metal amps and yet there are so few pedals and amps emulating them (besides modelling amps of course).

Not really.

1. No matter how much you think Mesa charges for their amps, its not easy to replicate the gain structure that Randy has for his amps.

2. Thanks to Mesa's lawyers, its not possible to replicate the Mesa sound in amp. Without efforts directed towards understanding the gain structure of the Mark amps, its not really possible to miniaturize it into pedal form.

I believe its due to these 2 reasons you don't see many pedals emulating the Mesa sound. Though still complex, the rectos are not as complex as the boards in the Mark, hence you probably see more recto pedals than mark pedals. Even then I know only of 2 recto pedals, and the most faithful is the Triple Wreck. Even then, the Triple Wreck isn't exactly a spot-on pedal. Its got awesome tone no doubt, but its not spot-on Dual Recto.

Even then, how many Mark emulation models do you see around? Even for Line 6... they only emulate the Mark IIC+.... but even then, its not as faithful as the Recto models.

I don't know about the AxeFX's models, but the Line 6 models are not exactly spot-on faithful to the Recto sound, IMO.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Dec 9, 2009,
Quote by ragingkitty

1. He'll need a pedal which is like a reverse compressor... to "open" up the high end frequencies. Like the Fulltone OCD on 18v mode... but quite a bit more drastic.

Does a 'de-compressor' pedal exist? I've been meaning to make a thread about it but procrastination set in. The HT-5 i have is uber-compressed so i figure something like that would give me some more versatility should my other plan not work. I've been looking to get a Mesa preamp (admittedly i've always wanted a Mesa) and transition to a pre-power amp rig, since that would be cheaper and possibly better sounding.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
Quote by TOMMYB22
Does a 'de-compressor' pedal exist? I've been meaning to make a thread about it but procrastination set in. The HT-5 i have is uber-compressed so i figure something like that would give me some more versatility should my other plan not work.

I suppose if I can imagine it... someone else can make it.

The Fulltone OCD is one example... in 18 watts mode... it seems like a blanket is lifted off your tone... it sounds like there is more headroom and the over sounds is more responsive and more open.

Quote by TOMMYB22
I've been looking to get a Mesa preamp (admittedly i've always wanted a Mesa) and transition to a pre-power amp rig, since that would be cheaper and possibly better sounding.

Are you doing a Mesa TriAxis into a Marshall 8100?

I find it weird that I'd post something and go read one of your post, while you read something of mine and reply to it....
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
I suppose if I can imagine it... someone else can make it.

The Fulltone OCD is one example... in 18 watts mode... it seems like a blanket is lifted off your tone... it sounds like there is more headroom and the over sounds is more responsive and more open.

Good point, i'll have to look into that.

Quote by ragingkitty

Are you doing a Mesa TriAxis into a Marshall 8100?

I find it weird that I'd post something and go read one of your post, while you read something of mine and reply to it....

Not particularly sure, i don't have much cash but i'm getting a job so that could be solved soon. Any of the Pre's would sound great but i'm thinking the Studio/Quad or the Recto. The Triaxis would probably be out of the price range i could get reasonably soon. I don't think i'd get a Marshall power amp because i prefer american voicing so i'd like to get something with 6l6's first.

Yeah i get what you mean
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
Quote by TOMMYB22
Not particularly sure, i don't have much cash but i'm getting a job so that could be solved soon. Any of the Pre's would sound great but i'm thinking the Studio/Quad or the Recto. The Triaxis would probably be out of the price range i could get reasonably soon. I don't think i'd get a Marshall power amp because i prefer american voicing so i'd like to get something with 6l6's first.

Yeah i get what you mean

Well the TriAxis is a programming module... tho I'm not sure what it has or what it does not have... but given that its the priciest preamp there... its gotta be good.

Also IIRC, the Marshall 8100 can be adjusted to use 6L6s as well. So maybe you can consider that if you like.

However, without the Mesa simul-class power amps... you'll not be able to get that Class AB and Class A Mesa sound.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
I can tell you what kind of pedals he's gonna need...

2. Thanks to Mesa's lawyers, its not possible to replicate the Mesa sound in amp. Without efforts directed towards understanding the gain structure of the Mark amps, its not really possible to miniaturize it into pedal form.

(1) there's such a thing as an expander... makes quiet sounds quieter, loud sounds louder.

(2) you're dead on. mesa patents are rock solid.

in other news, RK, I need to talk pickups with you at some point...
Quote by GrisKy
(1) there's such a thing as an expander... makes quiet sounds quieter, loud sounds louder.

HOLY FRAKING HELL... it exists... well at least a permutation of it... I was thinking... something that increases the headroom and stretches the guitar signal so that minute details are magnified.

I honestly though it was a figment of my imagination... which runs pretty damn wild.

Quote by GrisKy
(2) you're dead on. mesa patents are rock solid.

It has good and bad points IMO.

Quote by GrisKy
in other news, RK, I need to talk pickups with you at some point...

ehhh... drop me a PM? Be happy to help any time.

Or alternatively... you can add me... on MSN or Skype if you have either, just send me your handle in the PM...

PM's tend to be too slow IMO.

Don't send me a meebo... I can't seem to get the UG meebo to work properly.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
Well the TriAxis is a programming module... tho I'm not sure what it has or what it does not have... but given that its the priciest preamp there... its gotta be good.

Also IIRC, the Marshall 8100 can be adjusted to use 6L6s as well. So maybe you can consider that if you like.

However, without the Mesa simul-class power amps... you'll not be able to get that Class AB and Class A Mesa sound.

It looks the coolest?

Yeah but like you said, i want the Mesa sound so a Mesa simulclass would be best. Although maybe for some variety down the line i might pick up a Marshall pre as well for variety. In Australia i've seen both the Marshall 9001 and JMP-1 for dirt cheap. It would be interesting to hear how the Marshall pre sounds with the Mesa power, it'd probably sound like the Stilleto's though.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
Quote by TOMMYB22
It looks the coolest?

Yeah but like you said, i want the Mesa sound so a Mesa simulclass would be best. Although maybe for some variety down the line i might pick up a Marshall pre as well for variety. In Australia i've seen both the Marshall 9001 and JMP-1 for dirt cheap. It would be interesting to hear how the Marshall pre sounds with the Mesa power, it'd probably sound like the Stilleto's though.

I don't know man... it looks rather... well... geeky with the HUGE RED LEDs. Yuck... but it is the priciest... when in doubt... only the most expensive will do.

Yeah... the Mesa pre amp and power amp are all unique in a way... I suppose as a start you might want to at least get one Mesa pre and one power... that way you'd HAVE THE Mesa sound... then add on Marshalls for the variety.

I don't know how the Marshall pres would sound through a Mesa power... but if i had to guess... I'd say fat, chunky and grinding

You are now required to provide obligatory clips when you get the preamp.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
hahaha guys talk about over the top.

I didn't mean my amp HAD to sound like a mesa
Really I like its tone, I just need to get it heavier and a mesa-ish tone is preffered but whatever.
Should I just get the hardwire? I mean worst case ill buy it off US ebay, ship it here, test it. If i like it well awesome, if not ill ebay it and Ill make a profit because its $100 cheaper off US ebay then Australian.
I mean I'd considered the zakk wylde od but apparently its not very good!
The gear:

* Fender Squier P Bass
* Blackstar Stage HT-60
* Original Crybaby
* EHX Small Clone
* Boss DD-3
Quote by hendrixftw
hahaha guys talk about over the top.

I didn't mean my amp HAD to sound like a mesa
Really I like its tone, I just need to get it heavier and a mesa-ish tone is preffered but whatever.
Should I just get the hardwire? I mean worst case ill buy it off US ebay, ship it here, test it. If i like it well awesome, if not ill ebay it and Ill make a profit because its $100 cheaper off US ebay then Australian.
I mean I'd considered the zakk wylde od but apparently its not very good!

When we do things... we go all the way.

Actually... I'd recommend saving up for the Wampler Triple Wreck.... or at the very least the Pro Tone Body Rot II.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
I don't know man... it looks rather... well... geeky with the HUGE RED LEDs. Yuck... but it is the priciest... when in doubt... only the most expensive will do.

Yeah... the Mesa pre amp and power amp are all unique in a way... I suppose as a start you might want to at least get one Mesa pre and one power... that way you'd HAVE THE Mesa sound... then add on Marshalls for the variety.

I don't know how the Marshall pres would sound through a Mesa power... but if i had to guess... I'd say fat, chunky and grinding

You are now required to provide obligatory clips when you get the preamp.

haha, as soon as i can. I'll try get a new rig soon and i think i know that for my birthday i'm getting a Mac, mostly because i need a new computer for school but that will help music-wise. After my new rig i'm planning to get some recording stuff so i'll definitely do that.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie