which pickups to get?
EMG X
S.D. Blackouts
DiMarzio Super Distortion
DiMarzio Evolution

Playing stuff like as i lay dying, the devil wears prada, killswitch,
between the buried and me, august burns red etc...

Ibanez Iceman IC200
B.C.Rich Bich Masterpiece
B.C.Rich Warlock Bronze
Laney AOR 30 Tube
Ampeg V412BC Cabinet
Line 6 Spider III (hate it)
Jekyll and Hyde Overdrive Digitech Metal Master
Last edited by ninoprisco at Dec 9, 2009,
it really depends on what you want your tone to end up as. You really shouldnt get any of them unless you first try them or at least listen to them. But still:

- Normal EMG's give you a 'Typiclal' chugga chugga Metalcore sound - the X series was just made to sound like them with the 18V mod without actually needing to use 18V

- S.D. Blackouts in some ways similar to the EMG's but if your goin Seymour Duncan i'd look at their passives first

- Super Distortion is Good for the Bridge but thats about as much as I know

- From what i've heard the Evolution isnt that good for metalcore but it will give you a pretty cool tone

All in all i'd recommend the S.D. Passive pickups over everything else here. They have plenty in their range to find a good combination for you. I've got an Invader in the bridge and a Full Shred in the neck and together they sound tits.
Call me Brent
Quote by m33sta.

People would leave guitars for me in a box on the doorstep with a note "Please look after little Johnie, we just cant cope anymore, all he wants to do is hook up with Marshalls, We thought he would be a fender boy.

I think just EMG 81/85 combo will work just fine for what you're after
Fender Jim Root Signature Telecaster
Martin Westside Custom Edition
Peavey 6505
Peavey XXX Cab
ISP Decimator Prorack G
Sennheiser EW172 G3
Sennheiser wireless IEM
Ibanez TS9DX
Boss TU-2 Tuner
MY BAND:
http://www.myspace.com/thedirtyyouth
What amp are you using? If you have a cheap SS amp those active pickups will bairly make a difference and sound terrible. If you have a decent amp i would go with the either of the actives even though i'm not a fan of them because metalcore works well with a stereotypical tone.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
What guitar?
If you are considering mixing active and passive, look at the relevent threads as its far from simple, so are you looking at one pup or two?
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Lurcher
What guitar?
If you are considering mixing active and passive, look at the relevent threads as its far from simple, so are you looking at one pup or two?

An Ibanez Iceman ic200 and a bc rich bich materpiece through a laney aor tube amp
but yea i want both sets of pickups replaced im thinking emgs in one with 18 volt mod and blackouts in the other
Quote by SOADriff
What amp are you using? If you have a cheap SS amp those active pickups will bairly make a difference and sound terrible. If you have a decent amp i would go with the either of the actives even though i'm not a fan of them because metalcore works well with a stereotypical tone.

i have a laney aor 30 tube with an ibanez iceman ic200 and bc rich bich master piece im sure they will make a difference with my amp it isnt a great amp but i get pretty good tone out of it need to replace a tube now which blows
Quote by Guitar-KID125
it really depends on what you want your tone to end up as. You really shouldnt get any of them unless you first try them or at least listen to them. But still:

- Normal EMG's give you a 'Typiclal' chugga chugga Metalcore sound - the X series was just made to sound like them with the 18V mod without actually needing to use 18V

- S.D. Blackouts in some ways similar to the EMG's but if your goin Seymour Duncan i'd look at their passives first

- Super Distortion is Good for the Bridge but thats about as much as I know

- From what i've heard the Evolution isnt that good for metalcore but it will give you a pretty cool tone

All in all i'd recommend the S.D. Passive pickups over everything else here. They have plenty in their range to find a good combination for you. I've got an Invader in the bridge and a Full Shred in the neck and together they sound tits.

thanx man but yea i played 81 and 85 and loved them but havent got to play any of the other ones i listed i just looked at reviews and comparisons on youtube but i love the way the 18 volt mod sounds with he emgs
Quote by ninoprisco
which pickups to get?
EMG X
S.D. Blackouts
DiMarzio Super Distortion
DiMarzio Evolution

Playing stuff like as i lay dying, the devil wears prada, killswitch,
between the buried and me, august burns red etc...

Well, personally I'd use Super Distortion as bridge and use the Evo as the neck. It gives you the best of both worlds.
Behind Last Place - Rhythm Guitarist
Yngwie Malmsteen Custom Fender - "Yusuke"
Hyunwoo Custom Fender - "SHP"
Takamine PT-406 - "Takamoto"

Current Project : Hyunwoo Custom Fender - "YSP"
Quote by BLPAlpha
Well, personally I'd use Super Distortion as bridge and use the Evo as the neck. It gives you the best of both worlds.

just checked them out they sound pretty good
but how about DiMarzios D-Activators anyone play on a set of them
Quote by ninoprisco
just checked them out they sound pretty good
but how about DiMarzios D-Activators anyone play on a set of them

You could go for stuff that isn't listed on the list you gave us. What I'm doing with an HH strat is...
Bridge - X2N
Neck - Humbucker From Hell
Behind Last Place - Rhythm Guitarist
Yngwie Malmsteen Custom Fender - "Yusuke"
Hyunwoo Custom Fender - "SHP"
Takamine PT-406 - "Takamoto"

Current Project : Hyunwoo Custom Fender - "YSP"
Quote by BLPAlpha
You could go for stuff that isn't listed on the list you gave us. What I'm doing with an HH strat is...
Bridge - X2N
Neck - Humbucker From Hell

nice man like the sound of those