Page 1 of 4
Why does the general public think death metal, or just any metal for that matter is not real music and everyone in it is satanic, messed up, talentless losers?
Actually, these days metal is a recognized and more accepted genre than it was in the past. Or so it seems to me anyways.
We sailed through endless skies...

Quote by King Twili

if someone sigs this i will be fairly displeased.

Lady Gaga has a penis! >>EVIDENCE<<

i¯i▀▀▀i¯i‾°δ‾‾Pך]█████████████████████████
I think the real question is, why should you care?
I can take a road that'll see me through.
Quote by MLilienthal
Because old people think that anything beyond what they grew up with is 'noise'

But it technically is noise.

Quote by Scout1011
I think the real question is, why should you care?

I think so too.
Pop music is just easier to get into and hence thats what most people like.

Death metal is the opposite of pop.
why does people think rap suck, why does people think pop suck? why does ppl think rock sux? simple man, ppl have different tastes... personally i dont like most death metal or whatever because for example "screaming" and stuff like that dont sound well in my ears.. just silly :P
KON KON ^^
Why does everyone think that anyone who listens to hip hop and rap are anti-social hooligans who go out knifing people?

I don't know either, but why don't we just blame the jews?
Basically because its not accessabe to the mainstream of music. People are bombarded with pop, rnb and rap and because they "generally" have a low music understanding thats what they think is good music. And yes there is alot of shit metal and death metal out there but lucky for us we are not missing out on bands like Opeth
Dig a tunnel of light through ignorant walls
Quote by MightyAl
Because it's not real music. Not like Katy Perry.

GEAR:

Jackson dk2m

Marshall jcm2000 dsl

Schecter omen6 diamond series

Quote by KTFM

this guy doesn't understand the skill and complexity Miss Perry puts into her extremely technical music...

Tut tut.

GEAR:

Jackson dk2m

Marshall jcm2000 dsl

Schecter omen6 diamond series

I've recently got into Death Metal... I think people just aren't willing to adapt to it..

To be fair, it is very aggressive and it pushes 90% of people away
lol i love death metal but back in my pre-guitar days the dimished scale made my ears bleed.
YEEE BRA
The general public doesn't like it because of the attitude, not the music.
Fair enough, the music isn't for everyone, but neither is jazz. They CHOOSE to dislike death metal.
I personally hate death metal. I think it's noise for noise sake. Trying to the be baddest band has been done many times before, and if you look hard enough, there is alot worse out there.

The typical death metal fan annoys me more. They are of the opinion that nothing is heavier than their music, if you don't like death metal, you just can't handle it.
Grow up kids. Listen to some more diverse music and stop the elitist attitude.

In regards to the 'satanic, messed up, talentless losers', people have that opinion for a damn good reason. Sure, technical death metal takes a hell of alot of skill, but the vast majority of metal is shit.
Quote by AnAngrySquirrel
Why does everyone think that anyone who listens to hip hop and rap are anti-social hooligans who go out knifing people?

I don't know either, but why don't we just blame the jews?

Be careful, man! Carmel is Jewish... you never know if she's lurking somewhere!
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Nah death metal is fine. It's cybergrind I can't stand. Or wtf pig destroyer?! They have 16 second songs. Yeah sure I guess that counts as music but to me it's just noise.
Quote by Z_cup_boy
Nah death metal is fine. It's cybergrind I can't stand. Or wtf pig destroyer?! They have 16 second songs. Yeah sure I guess that counts as music but to me it's just noise.

Since when did length have anything to do with how musical something is?
Quote by Casketcreep
The general public doesn't like it because of the attitude, not the music.
Fair enough, the music isn't for everyone, but neither is jazz. They CHOOSE to dislike death metal.
I personally hate death metal. I think it's noise for noise sake. Trying to the be baddest band has been done many times before, and if you look hard enough, there is alot worse out there.

The typical death metal fan annoys me more. They are of the opinion that nothing is heavier than their music, if you don't like death metal, you just can't handle it.
Grow up kids. Listen to some more diverse music and stop the elitist attitude.

In regards to the 'satanic, messed up, talentless losers', people have that opinion for a damn good reason. Sure, technical death metal takes a hell of alot of skill, but the vast majority of metal is shit.

As a metal-head - This.

I enjoy other music too but 95% of my library is metal. I'm not a dark, satanic guy with a horrible attitude.. I'm just a normal guy but I like metal because it has a particular energy, not look.

And these days, it saddens me how many shit Deathcore bands are out there releasing the same breakdown-ridden shite everyday.
I love metal, symphony X, TooL, Dream Theater, Metallica, Blotted Science... The music is fine, but growling doesn't take ANY skill whatsoever... And it really bothers me, because, why would you want to hear someone doing that... It doesn't even sound good...
Quote by theogonia777

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Quote by Bearded_Seth

And these days, it saddens me how many shit bands are out there releasing the same shite everyday.

Fixed.

Quote by Dream Floyd
I love metal, symphony X, TooL, Dream Theater, Metallica, Blotted Science... The music is fine, but growling doesn't take ANY skill whatsoever... And it really bothers me, because, why would you want to hear someone doing that... It doesn't even sound good...

Because death metal with constant cleans would sound just great.
Quote by Dream Floyd
why would you want to hear someone doing that... It doesn't even sound good...

My friend linked me to a Deicide song because I wanted an insight into death metal (I might be joining an industrial shock metal band soon) and I was liking it untill the point where Glenn started to sing. It was bloody awful.
Quote by Dream Floyd

Growling properly takes skill and practice just as much as normal (I guess you'd call it) singing.

Try using correct technique to growl for an hour to 2 hours every night and still be able to talk.
Because death metal with constant cleans would sound just great.

No, there don't need to be cleans, just no growling... I would probably be a mathcore enthousiast if there was no growling or high-pitched scream/wailing [cattle decapitation]... and some actual melody... and les "double bass explosion" obssession...
Quote by theogonia777

Quote by Born A Fool
Quote by Casketcreep
What about constant trebly distortion instead?

Oh yes, much more pleasing on the ear.

My point really wasn't very difficult to understand: constant clean singing would fit the music about as well as Mariah Carey would suit Godflesh.

Christ, this thread is going to fill up full of clueless kiddies very, very soon.

Quote by Dream Floyd

No, there don't need to be cleans, just no growling... I would probably be a mathcore enthousiast if there was no growling or high-pitched scream/wailing [cattle decapitation]... and some actual melody... and les "double bass explosion" obssession...

So you'd like a genre of music if it sounded completely different.

K.

By the way cleans in this context = clean singing. Not very hard.
Last edited by webbtje at Dec 9, 2009,
Quote by webbtje
My point really wasn't very difficult to understand: constant clean singing would fit the music about as well as Mariah Carey would suit Godflesh.

Christ, this thread is going to fill up full of clueless kiddies very, very soon.

Already has
Quote by Bearded_Seth
Growling properly takes skill and practice just as much as normal (I guess you'd call it) singing.

Try using correct technique to growl for an hour to 2 hours every night and still be able to talk.

I've growled for a 3-hour long practice session with a Dethklok obssessed drummer (who couldn't play double bass for sh*t ) but I find something like Sea of Lie to be VERY difficult...
Quote by theogonia777

Quote by Born A Fool
Quote by Casketcreep
So what defines death metal from thrash and metalcore these days?

Not a sarcastic question, I genuinely want to know.

If it has "core" in the name, it's because the music contains frequent use of breakdowns. (Thats what I think anyways)

I thought the difference between thrash and death would be obvious?

Aren't we metal guys just suckers for overuse of genres?
Last edited by Bearded_Seth at Dec 9, 2009,
Quote by Casketcreep
So what defines death metal from thrash and metalcore these days?

Not a sarcastic question, I genuinely want to know.

the diminished scale, extremely high/low vocals and technical as drumming am i rite?
YEEE BRA
I don't enjoy listening to it. I don't like those indescipherable (sp?) growls, and the guitar is either too fast, too monotonous, or too distorted for me to hear the notes being played.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Quote by 93dric
the diminished scale, extremely high/low vocals and technical as drumming am i rite?

No, because you find that all over the place, let alone in metal, and let alone death metal.

Quote by Bearded_Seth
If it has "core" in the name, it's because the music contains frequent use of breakdowns.

Ho, I thought it would take a bit longer for my prediction to come true.

If it has 'core' it means it's been influenced by hardcore, like metalcore, or it's been influenced by metalcore, like deathcore.
Last edited by webbtje at Dec 9, 2009,
Page 1 of 4