Hey guys, just wanted to ask some questions about the dimarzio PAF pro. How does it compare to the Duncan 59? I might be getting this guitar (Heritage 150 - normally comes with two 59s) which has a PAF pro in the bridge and a duncan 59 in the neck.

Good for metal? I know the dual 59s could do metal (i want it for a mark morton-ish type of tone).

Thanks and cheers
My Gear
-ESP truckster
-Ibby RG 7 string
-Mesa/Boogie Studio Preamp (Mk2C+ mod)
-Mesa/Boogie 50-50 Stereo Poweramp
-Mesa/Boogie Vertical 2x12 (C90 and EVM)
It can, but I run the pickup with a 1 meg pot. With 250-300K pots I found the pickup a little restrained and lack luster. The low end was flubby and was just a muddy sound in general. Of course, it all depends on your rig I guess. My PAF pro liked my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, for instance, and wasn't so good for my Laney VH100R.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by georgakis187
Hey guys, just wanted to ask some questions about the dimarzio PAF pro. How does it compare to the Duncan 59? I might be getting this guitar (Heritage 150 - normally comes with two 59s) which has a PAF pro in the bridge and a duncan 59 in the neck.

Good for metal? I know the dual 59s could do metal (i want it for a mark morton-ish type of tone).

Thanks and cheers

Duncan '59 is more clear sounding wheras the PAF Pro has a little more bass (based on experiences with each in the neck)

In all honesty though they sound very very similar and you wouldn't go wrong with either one.
off topic, but did you put up a demo of your Studio preamp on youtube? because i saw one and the guys gear was very similar to yours.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Quote by rlheart
Duncan '59 is more clear sounding wheras the PAF Pro has a little more bass (based on experiences with each in the neck)

In all honesty though they sound very very similar and you wouldn't go wrong with either one.

The 59 sounds thinner to me... not a bad thing... just not as packed with harmonics... it's pretty close to a clear sound with good defintion.

The PAF Pro on the other than is wound to be fatter, with slightly more emphasis on the lower mid frequencies and outright saturated with harmonics.

If you want a clear good sound for melody, I'd go with the 59... versatile and clarity.

If you want a fatter sound that fills out the soundscape more, go with the PAF Pro.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
The PAF Pro in my Ibanez PGM couldn't drive my tube amp at the time to have enough saturation for metal, whereas all the rest of my guitars could just fine with gains to spare. However, through my Line 6 Vetta it sounded great, nice and full; through your Mesa, you'd probably be fine, though neither one of those pickups would really be my first choice for the bridge
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
The PAF Pro is pretty good, it's articulate and clear and has good presence, however the mids aren't really sweet enough for me, the '59 probably has the nicer, more natural mids.
If you think the '59 can do metal fine then you'd be ok with the PAF pro, it's much more modern sounding.