Page 3 of 9
59 superlead ri guts. it has a loop?

72 jmp50

I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
^ Yup, the reissues have a loop.

I hate you for having that 50W NMV, you bastard.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Why the hell did we let this get to page 5 in GG&A?

Bump!

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
hmm post spider guts or not to post spider guts
Gibson RawPower SG 2009 (Zales)
Gibson Hummingbird 70's? (Amy)
Jet City JCA 20 Watt Combo
Dunlop Crybaby wah
MXR 10 Band EQ
Ibanez TS-9
^ Do it. I'm too lazy to Google them.

Quote by bubb_tubbs
Internally fused Canadian 2204, which desperately needs a turret board and new filter capacitors.

Its crazy how different your 2204 looks from mine. Would have never realized there was so much difference. What year is yours if you don't mind me asking.
Quote by Justice4AllOne
fretz is absolutely right.
^ 81. It's the one in my signature.

Quote by bubb_tubbs
^ 81. It's the one in my signature.

That would be a good place to look I suppose. Thanks.
Quote by Justice4AllOne
^ No problem.

Yours is real interesting. I've never seen one with the script Master logo on the back AND PCB mounted pots AND a fourth 12AX7 tube AND the cap configuration yours has.

It's craziness!

^ Borked pic.

Edit: Never mind, he deleted his post.

Yer man, didn't see that bit! I'll try an take some shots of the cobra over the weekend!

EDIT: Some ENGL to make up for my ignorance

Not really an amp, but I think it still counts! And its the only thing I have gutshots of at the moment.
Gear:

Ibanez RGT220H
Schecter C1 Elite
Ibanez EWC30
Maxon OD-808
Framus Cobra
Peavey 5150 MK1 Block Letter
ENGL E530 Preamp
Mesa Boogie Standard Rectifier 4x12

Music:

http://www.myspace.com/morethanthisuk
Last edited by chrism3006 at Mar 5, 2010,
@chrism3006

I've always wondered what one of those looked like under the hood. Thanks for sharing!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^works

I know it is a preamp but man it looks like a fragile affair to replace those preamp tubes

Yer man, It felt really flimsy when I was pulling them out! Definitely a bit dodgy. Technically its an amp anyway, as it has a 2w SS power amp built in!

Quote by CECamps
@chrism3006

I've always wondered what one of those looked like under the hood. Thanks for sharing!

Right on to some proper amps:

5150 Block letter:

Framus Cobra:

Gear:

Ibanez RGT220H
Schecter C1 Elite
Ibanez EWC30
Maxon OD-808
Framus Cobra
Peavey 5150 MK1 Block Letter
ENGL E530 Preamp
Mesa Boogie Standard Rectifier 4x12

Music:

http://www.myspace.com/morethanthisuk
Last edited by chrism3006 at Mar 6, 2010,
Quote by tubetime86
I opened up my 1975 Bassman 100 the other day just for shits and giggles, and took a few pics. This made me think it would be really cool to see gutshots of different amps that UG users own.

Rules:
1. Don't spam too much, if you have a question or comment go ahead, but other than that don't post unless it is a gutshot.
2. Only post pictures you took yourself. We all know how to google and I don't want this thread full of stock images.
3. Read below.

DISCLAIMER: If you are unsure of how to open up your amp safely DO NOT DO IT. Amplifiers, and most electronics have capacitors in them that can store a charge long after they have been uplugged. If you go poking around and don't know what to avoid you could be electrocuted (that means killed, not shocked.) Also if you are unsure whether or not it will void your warranty, assume it will. I don't want to hear anyone complaining that I made you mess something up or injure yourself...

You know, if you really want to make this thread awesome, you should make a list of all the amps with links in the first post.
sorry for the HUGE pics. here's an old tube-powered organ i have sitting in my basement:

the palomino:

and the Rectoverb combo:
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
sweet mother of spare tubes that organ!

we did pull a dead spider out of the jmp, does that count for a spider gutshot?

didn't take a pic of it, looked like a nasty recluse.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Mar 6, 2010,
i know! it has one 12ax7 for EVERY key...
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
Quote by spiff389

it's cost a damn grand to retube just the key tubes.

*goes to clist to find old organs for spare tubes*
Quote by bubb_tubbs
^ No problem.

Yours is real interesting. I've never seen one with the script Master logo on the back AND PCB mounted pots AND a fourth 12AX7 tube AND the cap configuration yours has.

It's craziness!

Yeah this amp is kinda strange. I bought it from a guy that owns a boutique shop and as knowledgeable as he is it sort of bewildered him. It was his personal amp before the handwired craze hit but he still wasn't sure about evrything on it like the mystery jack on the back. Can you look at the guts and tell what if any mods have been done by chance (other than the obvious)? I am trying to teach myself electronics from an old navy manual but I still dont have it all figured out.
Quote by Justice4AllOne
Quote by chrism3006

Framus Cobra:

God that Cobra looks so simple compared to a lot of the amps on here. And it sells for 3 grand. Go figure.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Quote by fretz86
Yeah this amp is kinda strange. I bought it from a guy that owns a boutique shop and as knowledgeable as he is it sort of bewildered him. It was his personal amp before the handwired craze hit but he still wasn't sure about evrything on it like the mystery jack on the back. Can you look at the guts and tell what if any mods have been done by chance (other than the obvious)? I am trying to teach myself electronics from an old navy manual but I still dont have it all figured out.

That added jack and pot look like it could *possibly* be a preamp bypass insert. So for instance, the previous owner may have run a rack pre directly into the phase inverter of the 2204, bypassing the amp's entire preamp stages.

Hard to tell without knowing exactly where the wires are going.
Quote by CECamps
That added jack and pot look like it could *possibly* be a preamp bypass insert. So for instance, the previous owner may have run a rack pre directly into the phase inverter of the 2204, bypassing the amp's entire preamp stages.

Hard to tell without knowing exactly where the wires are going.

That's what it looked like to me from the pictures, but the lead dress being partially obscured by the PCB makes it a bit hard to nail it down.

Quote by bubb_tubbs
That's what it looked like to me from the pictures, but the lead dress being partially obscured by the PCB makes it a bit hard to nail it down.

I'll tell you one thing. There's an extra preamp tube in there. Not sure what the logic was behind the mod, but the original V1 12AX7 has been completely rewired. The new tube has taken it's place as V1 of the "normal" part of the amp.

It would be really interesting to check out that amp in person and see what was done!
Quote by CECamps
I'll tell you one thing. There's an extra preamp tube in there. Not sure what the logic was behind the mod, but the original V1 12AX7 has been completely rewired. The new tube has taken it's place as V1 of the "normal" part of the amp.

It would be really interesting to check out that amp in person and see what was done!

OK, the two silver power caps are not original either. They've been added, apparently for powering of the additional preamp tube without undo strain on the power transformer.

It's REALLY hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks like the re-wire of the original V1 is intended as a mu-follower configuration. V1b is wired like a standard gain stage and V1a is wired like a cathode follower. However, it looks like V1a's cathode (pin 3) has a cathode resistor AND a tail resistor. At the junction of these two resistors, it appears that the V1a grid resistor (pin 2) is attached. EXACTLY like one would wire a mu-follower.

The signal from the added input appears to go to the V1b grid (pin 7) as it should in this configuration. The added pot is wired as a standard level adjust.

My guess is that since the mu-follower provides gain along with low output impedance, it was added so that you could plug an external preamp into the added input, bypassing the 2204's preamp, and utilize only the output section of the amp. The mu-follower would provide gain (adjustable with the added pot) should you need it, and drives the phase inverter nicely with it's low output impedance.

So ideally you can either plug into the front end of the amp and use it as you normally would, or utilize it as a power amp only with the added rear input and volume pot.
^Thanks, good to know its all related to the input.
Quote by Justice4AllOne
YES!!! THIS THREAD IS AWESOME!!

I may try to clean it up a bit so the pics are easier to find. Until then keep them coming!

Greg: That JMP looks FANTASTIC!!! I've never seen such a good looking Marshall, granted I haven't seen internals of many vintage ones.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
whenever i see old organs like that i gag, holy crap i want to buy an old broken one for the old tubes alone. there was a time i was at a shop, dude brought in an old organ. he wanted to sell it, the shop guy cracked it open to see the state of the internals and the owner saw all the tubes in it. the owner quickly got the organ back out the store and started harvesting parts in short order. how do you not know whats inside those things.

@TubeTime86: a link in the front of the thread to each amp guts would be sweet. can't believe this thing picked up like this after ~2 years.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
@TubeTime86: a link in the front of the thread to each amp guts would be sweet. can't believe this thing picked up like this after ~2 years.

Ya I may do that... This thread is only 3 months old though.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Forget about all the tubes in that organ....look at all the damn TRANSFORMERS!

An interstage transformer for EVERY tube. Plus, can you imagine what kind of power transformer is required to provide B+ to all those tubes? The power transformer alone is probably worth $500-$700 by today's standards.

You could start a nest egg parting that thing out.

EDIT: Sorry, appears to be TWO trafos for every tube!!
Last edited by CECamps at Mar 10, 2010,
Quote by spiff389

I was only looking at the bottom of it and was like "whoah thats quite a few valves", then i looked up and focused a bit then shit myself when i noticed there was like a jazillion sticking out the side..

I want pics of that lit up in the dark. Nao.
Quote by CECamps
Forget about all the tubes in that organ....look at all the damn TRANSFORMERS!

An interstage transformer for EVERY tube. Plus, can you imagine what kind of power transformer is required to provide B+ to all those tubes? The power transformer alone is probably worth $500-$700 by today's standards.

that is funny as all hell, cuz i went back and looked at the picture, then said 'i only see a handful at the bottom', looked closer and realized there was a staggering number of trannies hanging next to every tube. that is unbelievable.

Ya I may do that... This thread is only 3 months old though.

hmm, i may have had my first senior moment... damn. could have swore i checked initial post and it said x/x/08

either way, i guess i'll have to get a few shots up myself since it's so popular and the such.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by beckyjc
I want pics of that lit up in the dark. Nao.

+64398383
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Yeah Ibanez and Gibson design all their models on their iPods.

Pokémon CYOA
Click here for my electro tunes!

Proud user and abuser of Bugera
Less organ talk, moar amps!

Quote by fretz86

That's cause all you are going to learn is how to look awesome in cargo shorts....
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals