So I just got this about twenty minutes ago. It's an RGA42. The action is a little high but other than that the guitar is perfect, absolutely no flaws, kudos to dolphin music for packaging it so well. Haven't plugged it in yet cos I wanna set it up and haven't decided what tuning I'm gonna set it up for. And, of course, pictures...

And these are going in it as soon as I can be arsed to walk to town...

Two things that are odd about this guitar. 1, the body binding that you think you can see, it isn't actually binding, it's paint. And 2, all my other Ibanez guitars have the series written on the head next to the logo, have they stopped doing that now? Or is it that RGA isn't really a series in itself, just an extension of the RG family?
Grats. First RG that I actually like to see...Id just put some passive pups in there and lower the action a lot :P but still...my 72' Tele Deluxe kicks that RG's butt :P
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
RGA are fixed bridged RGs.
it should be on the back of the headstock

HNGD

love that blackstar stack you got going on
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
Quote by diofan88

HNGD

They're carved top RGs they just happen to have fixed bridges. Also HNGD man, that thing looks awesome!
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
Last edited by gstacey1 at Dec 9, 2009,
Quote by diofan88

HNGD

Haha thanks man I love it too

Yeah it's just weird cos every other Ibanez I've ever played has had the series on the front as well like both my S's for example have 'S Series' next to the logo.
I really like those guitars, congrats man, i hope it plays well after a good setup

The mid cut switch is also a nice touch, good for dividing between rhythm tones.

...just waiting on that RGA7
Quote by hmmm_de_hum
I really like those guitars, congrats man, i hope it plays well after a good setup

The mid cut switch is also a nice touch, good for dividing between rhythm tones.

...just waiting on that RGA7

Haha yeah I totally agree! We'll know pretty soon if they're gonna release one next year. That would be awesome. Still can't decide how I wanna set it up, but fiddling around with it I really like the switch. It's like a dumbed down tone pot I'm also suprised at how good the stock pups are. Almost as high output as EMG's, but less defined. The guitar has ALOT of different sounds in it.
That beast is beautiful!
Tim.

You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known
Use this key, unlock the door
See what your fate might have in store
Come explore your dreams' creation
Enter this world of imagination
Your guitar doesn't say "RGA" series because it's not an "RGA"; it's an RG. RGA means RG Arch-top. Kinda like how RGR mean RG Reversed headstock and RGT mean RG Tremolo model. That and the binding is indeed binding. They just paint over parts of it.

Happy new RG day!
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by ch0
Your guitar doesn't say "RGA" series because it's not an "RGA"; it's an RG. RGA means RG Arch-top. Kinda like how RGR mean RG Reversed headstock and RGT mean RG Tremolo model. That and the binding is indeed binding. They just paint over parts of it.

Happy new RG day!

But does this not have an arched top? It also has the Gibraltar bridge, which is only on RGAs as far as I know.

Edit: Oh and happy NGD! I've actually been thinking about getting an RGA myself.
Last edited by TheThirdCut at Dec 9, 2009,
Quote by ch0

Happy new RG day!

This is getting confusing now. I think ch0 is saying it's an RGA but the whole RGA thing means it's an RG with an arch-top, he's not saying that this isn't an RGA, simply that it's still technically an RG. But that still doesn't explain there not being anything on the head.
Either way, it's a nice guitar for sure. I'm not fond of RG's anymore (go figure) but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate a nice bit of hardware. I'm sure she plays beautifully.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by TheThirdCut
But does this not have an arched top? It also has the Gibraltar bridge, which is only on RGAs as far as I know.
Yes, it does have an arch-top.

Listen, guys. The RGA is an RG. It's still an RGA but it's an RGA in the same way that an RG350DX is an RG350DX. Anything after the 'RG' just denotes specific model details.

Like...

RGA = RG with an arched/carved-top
RGT = RG with a tremolo bridge (even though not all trem models have the T in the model designation)
RGR = RG with a reversed headstock

So do we understand now? The RGA isn't going to say 'RGA' on the headstock under the Ibanez logo because there is no 'RGA' model guitar. It's an RG with an Arched-top body; hence, RGA.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by ch0

Listen, guys. The RGA is an RG. It's still an RGA but it's an RGA in the same way that an RG350DX is an RG350DX. Anything after the 'RG' just denotes specific model details.

Like...

RGT = RG with a tremolo bridge (even though not all trem models have the T in the model designation)

So do we understand now? The RGA isn't going to say 'RGA' on the headstock under the Ibanez logo because there is no 'RGA' model guitar. It's an RG with an Arched-top body; hence, RGA.

This is correct.

TS: HNGD!

HNDG!
I love RGA's, I really want a RGA121 as a backup for my S2170.
Tons of good deals on Harmony Central and Sevenstring.org.
Quote by ch0

Like...

You missed the point. What I was confused about was if they don't put RGA on the head you'd assume, or I would, that they would have put RG on the head, like with the RGT's and RGR's. Not a massive thing it just seems odd to me.

Also, thanks everyone
Last edited by Laslow at Dec 9, 2009,
It's very easy to lower the action on that hardtail. Very nice ax you have there.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Everyone gets a NGD except me =( lol HNGD ill get a Ngd soon
Quote by The_Rooster
Dude its a guitar, not an nuclear weapon...... unless your Chuck Norris.

Quote by RapeStove
That's what she said.

Gear:
ESP LTD KH-202
Peavy 25w
Boss OS-2
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss BF-3
I got that in jewel blue about a month ago, its a great guitar. Just be careful with the on-board EQ switch, mine snapped off the same day I bought it. HNGD!
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Nice! HNGD!
My Gear:

Epiphone Limited Edition '66 G-400 SG
Fender Standard P Bass
Ampeg BA115
Boss Metal Zone Pedal
Electro-Harmonix Memory Toy Analog Delay
HNGD! The RGA's aren't the only RG's with a fixed bridge. They are the only ones with a fixed Gibraltar bridge. There are RG's with a regular standard fixed bridge. Peeps have already said this but it is in the RG family but has the A because of the archtop. Kudos!