just a random question,

im wondering if you can export Audio files to midi, I know you can export midi as a audio file, what about the other way around?

thanks
Quote by rgrockr
You can buy whatever guitar you want, you don't have to be at a certain skill level to buy one. This is real life, not some guitar-playing RPG where you have to unlock new guitars.
Sure...There are external programs, plugins to do this...Depending on your setup it will vary the means....just google "your favourite daw" audio to midi plugin. Or for dedicated search for audio to midi software.

The live conversion is more rare to find. But if you just want a dedicated software to convert it...That is easyier to find.
not really no. Midi is made up of files i think. thats how it can be split up i Mixcraft or Guitar Pro or woteva. Trust me, if there as a way, would i would hv loved to have found it by know :P
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
Quote by nynejoe
Sure...There are external programs, plugins to do this...Depending on your setup it will vary the means....just google "your favourite daw" audio to midi plugin. Or for dedicated search for audio to midi software.

The live conversion is more rare to find. But if you just want a dedicated software to convert it...That is easyier to find.

Really?!?!
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
Yes but the live audio to midi plugins are iffy at best....I havent really needed the use of this method...But I just know you can do it. The dedicated softwares are easier to find. I remeber when I first started on the internet in the early 90's. Midi cover songs was a big thing. Pepople would just convert whole song to midi. Since audio files on dialup would take forever. LOL
There are programs available to do it. Most of the ones I've messed with suck but look around the web and you'll find something you like
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
You actually can't do either. MIDI isn't audio, it just contains note data, which would need to be parsed by some synthesizer/virtual instrument/sampler/whatever it is you're using. Whenever you "convert" MIDI to audio, you're really just recording the audio produced by the synth.

There are ways of creating MIDI information from audio, for example melodyne does this, but don't expect to just take an MP3 of your favorite song press a button and see a complete transcription of it.
Last edited by take_it_t at Dec 9, 2009,
And thats just one...Im not endorsing it...I never found a use for it myself...but it exists
Quote by take_it_t
You actually can't do either. MIDI isn't audio, it just contains note data, which would need to be parsed by some synthesizer/virtual instrument/sampler/whatever it is you're using. Whenever you "convert" MIDI to audio, you're really just recording the audio produced by the synth.

There are ways of gathering MIDI information from audio, for example melodyne does this, but don't expect to just take an MP3 of your favorite song press a button and see a complete transcription of it.

Melodyne doesnt gather MIDI information...They do monophonic audio samples...And now polyphonic samples with DNA. It is the acutal data.

edit: lets hope for the price we all paid for melodyne, thats not what its suppsed to do.

Last edited by nynejoe at Dec 9, 2009,
Quote by nynejoe
Melodyne doesnt gather MIDI information...They do monophonic audio samples...And now polyphonic samples with DNA. It is the acutal data.

edit: lets hope for the price we all paid for melodyne, thats not what its suppsed to do.

I must have worded myself wrong, because it would be a complete contradiction of what I said before. I'm not referring to the way in which melodyne actually indetifies/modifies the audio, I'm referring to the way in which it's mapped out, for the end user to manipulate. Correct me if I'm wrong of course, but I'm 99% sure you can export a midi track from melodyne.

I edited my original post to say creating, as opposed to gathering.
Not it actually detecs puitch of audio sample. Wether its mono or polyphonic in case of DNA. Neubacker is a geniuis...This really is a revolution in recording. I can probally see how beginners confuse the note grid with a midi sequencer I suppose.

Melodyne is almost like a magic trick.
yes it can export audio to midi...But that not how the general program works for its audio detection,.

edit: beacuse of its amazing algorithms of pitch/time etc... detection, its makes ti easy to export to midi...
Last edited by nynejoe at Dec 9, 2009,
Quote by nynejoe
Not it actually detecs puitch of audio sample.

I haven't said any different....where else would it detect the pitch from?

I hope you're not implying that I'm a beginner here . Also you do realize one of the big marketing aspects of Melodyne is that you can edit audio like you would MIDI in a MIDI sequencer. Regardless of whether Melodyne's format for storing the pitch/timing information is proprietary or not, it's still going to be same information that's used in MIDI format.

Not to sound rude, but I'm not really sure I even get your point, other than proving that you're familiar with Melodyne.
Quote by take_it_t
I'm not referring to the way in which melodyne actually indetifies/modifies the audio, I'm referring to the way in which it's mapped out, for the end user to manipulate. Correct me if I'm wrong of course, but I'm 99% sure you can export a midi track from melodyne.

Yes but the way its mapped out is not midi a midi sequence...You would have to export from melodyne using melodyne information to make it midi. Think of it more as an audio track like a generic DAW with other dimensions....Its pitch mainly.

But i think orginal poster got his point...And yes I agree, melodyne can do this, buts very much overkill if that all you need it for. That just one small aspect of melodyne.
Quote by nynejoe
Yes but the way its mapped out is not midi a midi sequence...You would have to export from melodyne using melodyne information to make it midi. Think of it more as an audio track like a generic DAW with other dimensions....Its pitch mainly.

But i think orginal poster got his point...And yes I agree, melodyne can do this, buts very much overkill if that all you need it for. That just one small aspect of melodyne.

Okay fair enough, it's not actually using the MIDI standard, but regardless the proprietary mapping format would still have to include the same basic pitch/timing information that's found in MIDI files, which means that Melodyne can generate a MIDI file. That's all I meant to say from the beginning.
Yes that I agree with
Although similar in how they work....Melodyne means are much more advanced.
In Ableton Live you can slice an audio clip to midi. I've seen it done a few times in videos, but I can't remember exactly how it works. It's really awesome, though.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Yes thast true sid...i forgot all about slicing....It automcatlly guesses warp markers too, so you dont have to set manually everything. Or you can always warp your own then slice.