Hi, I'm in a 4 piece band (Me on rhythm guitar and vocals, Bassist, drummer, and Lead guitar). When It comes to playing in a band I am Very OCD. I feel that I cannot perform until I think we sound really really tight. My drummer and lead agree on this but my bassist does not.
I have one song that has pretty much all parts established but there isn't a clear drum part (the drummer usually has been improvising). My bassist is getting very frustrated with me because he wants to perform that song at my high school (keep in mind that's our only song with finished lyrics.) I think that if the drum part isn't established, we wont sound tight. Therefore if it's not tight, we shouldn't perform it, because "you only get one chance to make a first impression."
Doesn't that seem obvious? Maybe I'm wrong but I would like some second opinions to settle this with my bassist.
Last edited by ES135player at Dec 9, 2009,
yea i suggest u guys keep practicing.. people DO notice when u **** up.
i've got a boner for murder
nah just go out and play sloppy.. its cool..

PSN: reldask
Thats right !!!!!!!!!!! You better have it together, because if you suck, they the people wont forget, and you´ll be labled as the band that sucked. But if you got your shit together you will be remembered as the band that rocked the night.
Sometimes it depends on the music. Punk bands learn their instruments onstage. Cause we're cool like that.

But seriously, you should get pretty tight but don't worry about it THAT much. The fans at a high school know jackshit about music for the most part and will not notice the difference.
Last edited by iwannabesedated at Dec 9, 2009,
^ however a lot of people can hear when something is made up on the spot
the rhythm section is incredibly important to get tight lead is not so much but its preferable its kinda what separates the bands that people appreciate and those that jsut play random gig after gig establish a proper drum part it's okay if it comes from improv as long as it's there
then practice more with it
by any chance is your a bassist one who either played the guitar and thought bass would be easy or just played bass because he thought it'd be easier?
decent bassists have a huge issue about being tight
Gear
Ibanez SAS32EXFM White
Epiphone SG G400 White
Line 6 Flextone III+
Line 6 Spider III 120 (for sale £90)
Your rhythm section is your foundation. Tell your drummer to start writing some good concrete lines and your bassist to fall in line. All the melody, harmony, lyrics- sounds like crap with no rhythm section (in a live band environment, I'm not talking about solo acoustic gigs or what have you)
well being a musician you will be able to point out all the imperfections more than most people. And because its your band you know how it is supposed to sound. So should you be super practiced before a gig? Of course but at some point you have to settle and start playing. You should be at a point were you are all comfortable playing all the songs, and would feel comfortable playing them to other people. You don't have to be perfect because, ask anyone things never go perfect once you are up on stage, no matter how much you've practiced.
Quote by ES135player
My drummer and lead agree on this but my bassist does not. ...there isn't a clear drum part (the drummer usually has been improvising)

If the drummer agrees, then why isn't he creating a clear drum part? Does he feel he is skilled enough to consistently improvise a drum part that sounds tight? Is he actually skilled enough?
Of course you should be wary of performing if your band doesn't sound good, but keep in mind if your school only hosts bands on special events that happens like once or twice a year, you might as well take that opportunity to play even if you're not currently 100% satisfied with your performance. You probably sound better than you think, especially to the majority of high school students. The fact that most of you care about tightness probably brings you a step ahead of many bands your age. Again, if your drummer truly cares about sounding tight, he should already be working towards playing tighter.
You shouldn't really be prepared to play any song in public that you can't play through without mistakes. You will make mistakes anyway but if you can't play it through in practice you have no chance on stage. You can play any song if you are determined and practice enough.

Are you listening to your bass player. He may just really like that song over all the others and just not want it dropped. Can you agree to work hardest on that song in practice so you can get it up to performance levels at the gig so that you can be happy with your performance and he gets to do the song he wants.

On the technical side the bass player has to get it right as the rest of the band rely on them to define both the key/chord changes and the rhythm. I play the most boring bass lines in the world at gigs because the band use the bass as an anchor.
This type of question comes up quit a bit here. Some people are impatient and want to run before they can walk. You said this is to play at your High School, and I don't know how proficient you guys are as a band. If this was a paid gig at a bar/club, I'd say you should wait. You know your audience far better than I do, so will they tolerate some mistakes, or will they trash you unmercifully for the rest of the school year if you suck? Answer that question for yourself, and you'll know what to do. Good luck either way.
I say go for it. You don't really need to worry about a reputation when you're just starting out. Especially if it's just among friends, or just people who know you. Plus, if you're good, it'll be a great start.
Really though, this is your call. If your band's not fit to play, then don't.
Last edited by its_alive at Dec 10, 2009,
if you're going to play for your friends, and you're in high school, don't bother that much. they will love you and say you're great no matter what. that's what happened with me. and we really sucked
no way