I was invited to join my friends ska band. They have a guitarist already and only have a few parts which are already written for 2 guitars, so I'll have to write some new stuff. Are there any ska bands with 2 guitars that I can listen to for ideas? So far I've been playing octaves when he does upstrokes and doing lead riffs+octaves when he's doing power chords or whatever.
Reel Big Fish.
Quote by Altered_Carbon
That's some bony hipster sex, which may be the best kind.
^beat me to it! Reel Big Fish use two guitars in a good number of their songs, the specials had two guitarists, i'm sure there are others i can't think of right now
Last edited by rednwhiteblues at Dec 9, 2009,
Goldfinger.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
The Specials had lead and rythm guitarists, Leftover Crack are a ska punk band and have (depending on the songs) 2-3 guitars.
Quote by JohnnyV
I'm pretty sure the feeling i get when i blow my load on my computer screen is a f*ck of a lot different than when i shoot in on my girlfriend's face.

Music things

PRS SE Custom 24
Epiphone G400
Vox AC15C1
Quote by Lots O' FX
The Specials had lead and rythm guitarists, Leftover Crack are a ska punk band and have (depending on the songs) 2-3 guitars.

Wheyeah, Roddy Radiation was apparently brought in to "play thunders licks".

No reason you can't do that and have lead riffs and such.

When the Clash covered 'Police and Thieves', Mick did the ska part, and Joe thundered down on the first beat of the bar. Check it!
yeah, most ska bands as far as i know have 2. the better question would have been who doesn't, it would narrow the list quite a bit.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
yeah, most ska bands as far as i know have 2. the better question would have been who doesn't, it would narrow the list quite a bit.

i disagree, i think the list would be pretty huge
The flatliners, The expendables, Reel Big Fish, The Specials, rancid and sonic boom six (If you consider them ska)

All those ska bands have two guitars.
I may not have a brain, gentlemen, but I have an idea...
Not so much so ska so, but t'Arctic Monkeys use alot of really clever clean chordy stuff that involves 2 guitars seriously weaving. Then don't forget alot of sick ska parts will probably only require one geet on upstrokes. Oh & try mimicing bass parts, muted, on clean.
Last edited by KevVin at Dec 23, 2009,
Quote by KevVin
Not so much so ska so, but t'Arctic Monkeys use alot of really clever clean chordy stuff that involves 2 guitars seriously weaving. Then don't forget alot of sick ska parts will probably only require one geet on upstrokes. Oh & try mimicing bass parts, muted, on clean.

Apparently the atmosphere has run out of places to put my farts, so we're using the internet.
Quote by BR0KENHEARTED
Slime Kings

Why is it that everytime you mention a band it's the Slime Kings
Quote by JohnnyV
I'm pretty sure the feeling i get when i blow my load on my computer screen is a f*ck of a lot different than when i shoot in on my girlfriend's face.

Music things

PRS SE Custom 24
Epiphone G400
Vox AC15C1
Quote by Lots O' FX
Why is it that everytime you mention a band it's the Slime Kings

Because Slime Kings is the second best band ever, next to Argyle Street.
Quote by werty22
Because Slime Kings is the second best band ever, next to Argyle Street.

The best band ever with recordings up on myspace.
As everyone has said, the Speicals and I believe some of the first wave guys. Somehow I think the Paragons may have had two guitarists.

But the point is...can't you just adapt the ska stuff you want to play to 2 guitars? Its not that hard.
if you are doing 3rd wave
Big D's album Good Luck has good examples of what you are talking about with octaves and what not
Quote by bucketned
if you are doing 3rd wave
Big D's album Good Luck has good examples of what you are talking about with octaves and what not

As far as 3rd wave goes, Big D and Mad Caddies are the best examples of how to use 2 guitars in a ska band.