I go to sdsu and i am taking 15 units. I am majoring in graphic design. While i get praised in my communications class as being the best speaker by the T.A. I am being failed because I "don't follow rules enough". I'm pretty down since i put a lot of work in and i feel like i am not getting anything out of it. I think that i am standing at really bad places in every class except for my two studio art classes. Both of which i have received critical acclaim for. I think i am failing my GE's because I don't know "how" to study. I just really dont care about those classes. I feel really bummed out and unmotivated guys. Any college tips? Any thing to get me cheered up?
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
It's how it is man. Sometimes I get solid grades without working a single bit, sometimes I bust my ass all the time and make shit grades. It all depends on the professors, really. Anyway, even if you do poorly, it's your first semester. Most people statistically don't do well their first semester in college.

Edit: As a matter of fact, I took an adderall and ended up on UG while I should be working on a paper.
Quote by Kensai
I know a good joke:

Women's rights.
Quote by Chubbychunks
I know a good joke:

Kensai's life.
Last edited by Dimebag Dave at Dec 9, 2009,
Quote by edge11
Any thing to get me cheered up?

Half an ounce of skunk & a hooker should do the trick.
Quote by Dimebag Dave

Edit: As a matter of fact, I took an adderall and ended up on UG while I should be working on a paper.

Hahaha someones about to ace their paper!
Quote by Dimebag Dave
It's how it is man. Sometimes I get solid grades without working a single bit, sometimes I bust my ass all the time and make shit grades. It all depends on the professors, really. Anyway, even if you do poorly, it's your first semester. Most people statistically don't do well their first semester in college.

same
Quote by StewieSwan
Aw don't feel bad

/thread

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by Dimebag Dave

Yeah man, I feel like most of my teachers are self interested pricks who act nice in public but are total dicks in their office hours. I've only met one that was real and down to earth. I hate how that T.A. would praise me publicly but would blast me in private. So are all T.A.'s that two faced?
Quote by Bluesatsunset
Half an ounce of skunk & a hooker should do the trick.

The pit always knows how to make me feel better.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Life's tough.

It'll get better, you're only a freshman. My sister's first year didn't go well, but she ended up doing a masters degree in marketing and working for an important Irish company. Things will look up.
Quote by Confusius
It'll get better, you're only a freshman. My sister's first year didn't go well, but she ended up doing a masters degree in marketing and working for an important Irish company. Things will look up.

Guiness?

Hahahahahahahahahah hahahaha har har har
Hey man, I was in your shoes. My sister is a teacher and she told me to interact with my teachers and make sure they knew who I was, all you have to do is participate in class and talk to them when you see them. This relationship does two things. 1) it forces you to do your work because you don't want to let your teacher down and 2) it makes it harder for the teachers to give you bad grades. I followed her advice and my teachers, regardless of their personalities, started giving me preferential treatment and my grades went from C's and D's to A's and B's.
Quote by VIO-LENT
listen to some municipal waste.

Will do,
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Quote by inelms
Hey man, I was in your shoes. My sister is a teacher and she told me to interact with my teachers and make sure they knew who I was, all you have to do is participate in class and talk to them when you see them. This relationship does two things. 1) it forces you to do your work because you don't want to let your teacher down and 2) it makes it harder for the teachers to give you bad grades. I followed her advice and my teachers, regardless of their personalities, started giving me preferential treatment and my grades went from C's and D's to A's and B's.

Dude I do, even my large lecture (500 person class) knows me by name.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
You need to man up, son. Trust me on this, you have to apply yourself about 2 % in college to get by and about 100 % once you get out- stay in college as LONG AS YOU CAN. It's understood you feel aimless right now, it's a typical freshman curse, I had it, and all my friends had it. It's hard to see how it fits in the big picture right now. But trust me, it all comes together in time. Buckle down, even if you don't like the subject, because the payback- which is being in college- is simply too much to miss out on. I'd go back and do it all over again if I could, so don't you squander the epic experience of college.

And if college is not epic for you, then you're doing it wrong. You need to balance work and play- hard work = hard party.

PROTIP: Get off UG, sit somewhere on campus, count how many hot gilrs walk by in 30 minutes. If the number is over 5, punch yourself in the face for thinking college is a drag.
Epiphone SG
Crate V-18 212
Xaviere XV-500
Boss PS-5 SUPER Shifter
Digitech Bad Monkey

SWINE FLU FREE SINCE 1974
Just do your work?
Question: what is this college you speak of EXACTLY? We in the Netherlands have basicschool, middleschool, and university or other stuff. Always sounds like the last years of our middleschool.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
We call University "College." Cause that's how we roll.
Epiphone SG
Crate V-18 212
Xaviere XV-500
Boss PS-5 SUPER Shifter
Digitech Bad Monkey

Quote by edge11
Yeah man, I feel like most of my teachers are self interested pricks who act nice in public but are total dicks in their office hours. I've only met one that was real and down to earth. I hate how that T.A. would praise me publicly but would blast me in private. So are all T.A.'s that two faced?

The pit always knows how to make me feel better.

You are correct. Most professots are self interested pricks. So is every boss you will ever have in your life. Get used to it.
Epiphone SG
Crate V-18 212
Xaviere XV-500
Boss PS-5 SUPER Shifter
Digitech Bad Monkey

Welcome to Life!

You think you got it bad? My friend majoring in music performance spends every waking minute in class or practicing.

wake up
eat
practice
class
practice
class
eat
practice
sleep

I'm like you though, I say who gives a **** about electives, I don't need them, I slack off in them and then just pay attention during reviews or cheat during the tests. work out so far
Quote by MoroneSaxatilis
You are correct. Most professots are self interested pricks. So is every boss you will ever have in your life. Get used to it.

I'm an artist, I don't have a boss.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Quote by Neo Evil11
Just do your work?
Question: what is this college you speak of EXACTLY? We in the Netherlands have basicschool, middleschool, and university or other stuff. Always sounds like the last years of our middleschool.

I go to san diego state university.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
There's more to be a successful student than speaking up. About a third to a half of the vocal people on my course would regularly spout half correct rubbish, prompting the lecturer to respond with the typical "Well...Yes, but also you might want to think about blah blah". Which translates to a polite way of saying 'well done for opening your mouth, but you are pretty much wrong'. However, maybe this isn't your problem, I don't know you personally.

I don't know about your course, but for me about 60% of the grade was coursework, so make sure you are well up on your theory, and your English skills, so you can effectively communicate the theory. Assuming you have to write essays and dissertations that is.

Also if you are properly disappointed with your grades, go and speak to the person who graded you. Don't barge in there with an accusatory and self-righteous tone, that won't get you anywhere (I've seen people try this...). Ask for constructive criticism and ways in which you can improve your grade. In my experience lecturers are always more than willing to help out.
...Bleep Bloop...
The main thing that's had me screwed up is grading.
Generally High School was "do everything you're supposed to and you ace the class"
College is "do everything you're supposed to and you get a C. Do way over what is expected to get a B or an A"

I'm still adjusting and its almost the end of 1st semester.
Hell I just dropped out of math class due to failing yesterday
Quote by Kensai
When I wear it I have to fight off women with a stick. Ifyouknowwhatimean.

Quote by daytripper75
Today, 2:51pm EST: Prodigy179 has officially hit puberty.

They're eating her! And then they're going to eat me!
OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-
I'm a freshman too and college sucks so far. I'm counting on it getting better
Quote by edge11
Dude I do, even my large lecture (500 person class) knows me by name.

Ask your teachers what you have to do to improve, they may be pricks but it's their job to atleast help you achieve their standards. And failing because "you don't follow the rules enough" seems a little vague to be the only reason your doing bad. If you don't do better after this semester, consider switching your major. A shit ton of freshman end up switching their major several times during their academic careers.
Quote by inelms
Ask your teachers what you have to do to improve, they may be pricks but it's their job to atleast help you achieve their standards. And failing because "you don't follow the rules enough" seems a little vague to be the only reason your doing bad. If you don't do better after this semester, consider switching your major. A shit ton of freshman end up switching their major several times during their academic careers.

sorry dude, I just reread your post, seems like you are good at your major. I stick by my first comment though.
I got invited to a frat kegger on friday
I feel robbed by my small lecture Comm T.A.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33