I'm not asking for practice schedules or anything. What I am asking for is the following:

1.) A full list of techniques I will need to master.
2.) Suggestions for bands or albums that will be a huge aid to my guitar learning, whether it be giving me material to try to learn at early stages, or stuff that will keep me going by giving me a goal, "I want to be able to do that."

Thanks
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=636381

if ur into metal, start with metallica and black sabbath. my first song was for whom the bell tolls.

here is a full list of categorized songs for u to work on. as for techniques - palm muting, string muting, down picking, alt picking, and pinch harmonics to get u started. then move on to tapping and sweeps.

good luck!
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Last edited by xxunder-takerxx at Dec 9, 2009,
1. (Not all of these are an absolute must)
Music Theory
Alternate Picking
Economy Picking
Legato techniques
Vibrato
Sweeping
Tapping
Shredding

2. Listening to metal bands will give you a direction but you have to listen to other styles in order to make your music interesting

Some Hard Rock/Metal Bands:

Metallica
Testament
Iron Maiden
Opeth
Between the Buried and Me
Nevermore
Symphony X
Baroness
Isis
Into Eternity
In Flames
Tool
Protest the Hero
Dream Theater

Some other Bands/Artists:

Porcupine Tree
Dire Straits
Steely Dan
Miles Davis
Grant Green
Django Reinhardt
Stuff Smith
Dizzy Gillespie
Oscar Peterson
Beatles
Pink Floyd
Sound Tribe Sector 9

Listen to a lot of Classical music, it is and will always be relevant

etc...

Listen to everything, if you eliminate entire genres from your listening it can only harm your musical knowledge
Last edited by jfreyvogel at Dec 9, 2009,
Decide whether you're interested more in rhythm or lead playing first as that will determine what you focus in the course of your 'metal journey'. But a lot of guitar techniques are a must either way.

Regarding music, check out the early metal bands. Mostly 80's metal. Its a good foundation for anyone interested in Metal. There's a hell of a lot of bands from that era (Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Slayer a.k.a. big four, Testament, etc). You will pick up a lot from that age of music. Then you can check out the newer acts because a lot of them had their influences in the older music as well.

Good luck getting where you're going \m/
Quote by wise1man
Decide whether you're interested more in rhythm or lead playing first as that will determine what you focus in the course of your 'metal journey'. But a lot of guitar techniques are a must either way.

Regarding music, check out the early metal bands. Mostly 80's metal. Its a good foundation for anyone interested in Metal. There's a hell of a lot of bands from that era (Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Slayer a.k.a. big four, Testament, etc). You will pick up a lot from that age of music. Then you can check out the newer acts because a lot of them had their influences in the older music as well.

Good luck getting where you're going \m/

I plan on starting with rhythm since thrash rhythm is still very fast most of the time, and I feel it'll get me more acclimated to the raw speed of the genre. After I get comfortable with that then I'll start working on lead since lead will require the speed, coordination, and technique I build up in rhythm, except ten times as much of it.
If it is any help, my first song was Breaking The Law by Judas Priest..

Also, I think mostly all of what you must learn has been said above..
Disturbed has some pretty easy songs if you like them. I didn't see any one else post it, but you might want to practice some hybrid picking too.

Edit: Gallop is a pretty cool technique to
Last edited by Adisturbedone at Dec 10, 2009,