Page 1 of 2
Hello everybody

I'm new (hi!) so this is my first post, please be gentle...

Essentially, I'm looking for your musical advice, o wise and wonderful people of ultimate guitar.

I've become pretty bored with everything on my ipod and want to find some new bands (well, guitarists) to liven things up.

Are there any up and coming players or lesser known bands you'd suggest? I'm basically looking for any band that features a guitarists (or two) that has the ability to melt my brain with sheer shredding ability!

Any thoughts?
Really depends on what genre you want, but I'm a huge fan of Dream Theater. Should probably go in a different forum, though.
Last edited by D&DLover at Dec 9, 2009,
Well what do you know?

Many of these bands, and guitarists are well established just not mainstream.

Guthrie Govan
Greg Howe
Between the Buried and Me
Animals as Leaders
Dream Theater
Shawn Lane
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Ya, really need some vague idea of what genres are acceptible to you.

For example, Necrophagist has some of the most technically impressive guitar parts imaginable, but their vocalist is an extremely bland death metal screamer...

I personally like All That Remains, their lead guitarist is excellent. Check out Two Weaks or Six by them. They're metalcore, so if you don't like that then just nevermind...
Obscura, Necrophagist, numerous other TDM bands.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Children Of Bodom, if somehow you havn't heard of them

The Human Abstract

Nevermore

Mr big / racer x / any band with gilbert in lol

Outworld
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Black Dahlia Murder. First thing I thought was "hey, this can guy really play"
Also, the Human Abstract
Beneath the Massacre, if you like hardcore
and Lamb of God, of course
Gear:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Custom Built Guitar (made it myself)
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Fender Stratacoustic (Stolen! )
Digitech RP200
Boss MT-2
Roland Microcube
I like my stuff!
The Fall of Troy. Tom doesn't really "shred," but his guitar work is still a mindfuck.
Not everbody likes it, but I do recommend you check 'em out to see if they melt your brain.
MATTERHORN
Nevermore
Opeth
Joe Stump
Biomechanical
Children Of Bodom (maybe you haven't heard em )
you guys are quick, like it!

Guthrie Govan, Greg Howe, Dream Theater I'm already familiar with, but yeah along those lines. Just listening to the word alive on myspace now, good work team S!

Dr. M - tried to listen on your profile but couldn't find anything? I might just be being a bit thick though, not sure I'm looking in the right place....
Quote by ChucklesMginty

Damn I love that song I prefer that version to the album version aswell.
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Quote by hackdaniels
Dr. M - tried to listen on your profile but couldn't find anything? I might just be being a bit thick though, not sure I'm looking in the right place....

Oh sorry, looks like I've yet to put up the tracks.

>.>

But dude, go listen to the album Doppelganger by The Fall of Troy.
MATTERHORN
I'd definitely agree on Guthrie, great player. I was at a guitar show last year and he strolled onto the stand behind me and started wailing away, awesome stuff. Nice bloke too. Incredible amount of hair, which is always a good thing
you guys are brilliant, thanks!

In all honesty I'm pretty open to genre etc - it's all about keeping your ears open in my opinion!

There's a lot of names here I'm pretty familiar with already - are there many US bands that we might not know over here in Blighty yet that are just breaking through? Any real stand out players from the younger crop?
Quote by Doodleface
Well what do you know?

Many of these bands, and guitarists are well established just not mainstream.

Guthrie Govan
Greg Howe
Between the Buried and Me
Animals as Leaders
Dream Theater
Shawn Lane

Well, Shawn Lane is also dead.

He, Guthrie, and Greg Howe are probably my favorite shredders, due to their jazzy backgrounds.
Let's try something completely different to all the others mentioned:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izvHRKgOnI0&feature=related

Vocals/image might be weird at first, but you can't deny their chops
Hmm...I'm not seeing many "up and coming" people here, Guthrie Govan and most of the rest of them are in their 40s! (Ok I just checked and Guthrie's like 38, but you get my meaning )

Unfortunately I can't think of anyone that truly fits the bill either...there's some stunning young guitarists on youtube, but for most of them youtube is where they'll stay. And I don't think you're looking for death metal type stuff - I'd suggest something like Decapitated who are still young, but again they've been around for quite awhile now.

Seems that either the music biz has given up on shred, or there aren't too many (truly gifted) young players interested in it anymore...but someone prove me wrong.
JEFF LOOMIS (as a solo musician)
Nevermore
/thread
Quote by rgrockr
You can buy whatever guitar you want, you don't have to be at a certain skill level to buy one. This is real life, not some guitar-playing RPG where you have to unlock new guitars.
Last edited by kakos at Dec 9, 2009,
that's pretty... final!

I'm tending to agree with beserker - there doesn't seem to be an awful lot of grass roots bands pursuing the shred path.. it's a shame
Quote by Beserker
Hmm...I'm not seeing many "up and coming" people here, Guthrie Govan and most of the rest of them are in their 40s! (Ok I just checked and Guthrie's like 38, but you get my meaning )

Unfortunately I can't think of anyone that truly fits the bill either...there's some stunning young guitarists on youtube, but for most of them youtube is where they'll stay. And I don't think you're looking for death metal type stuff - I'd suggest something like Decapitated who are still young, but again they've been around for quite awhile now.

Seems that either the music biz has given up on shred, or there aren't too many (truly gifted) young players interested in it anymore...but someone prove me wrong.

I have a problem with this. How exactly does one gauge musical giftedness?
Quote by Holy Katana
I have a problem with this. How exactly does one gauge musical giftedness?

...with your ears? I don't know, you understand the meaning, we don't need to get into a debate about it. Know anyone that fits the description?
Check out Travis Montgomery, he kicks ass
"If I told you that, I'd have to kill you."
"Why is it like.. top secret?"
"No."

Last.fm
Quote by Beserker
...with your ears? I don't know, you understand the meaning, we don't need to get into a debate about it. Know anyone that fits the description?

No, actually, I don't understand the meaning. Can one objectively define talent? Let's say we can. Would one merely focus on one aspect of the person's musical ability, say, technique, or look at all of them? Let's say there's a guy out there who has impeccable technique, but brings absolutely nothing new to the table. Now, let's say there's another guy who can't shred, but he makes up for it with an intimate understanding of advanced harmony, a great sense of melody and rhythm, and creates new and exciting musical textures with his music. Which one, in this scenario, would you call better?
marco sfogli gogogo
Jackson DKMG Dinky, Ibanez RG 7321, Ibanez RG 350EX
Bugera 6262-212 (120 watt), Line 6 Spider lll (30 watt)

Pearl Forum Series Drums
Sabian B8 Cymbals (ride, hi-hats, 3x crash, splash)
Quote by Holy Katana
No, actually, I don't understand the meaning. Can one objectively define talent? Let's say we can. Would one merely focus on one aspect of the person's musical ability, say, technique, or look at all of them? Let's say there's a guy out there who has impeccable technique, but brings absolutely nothing new to the table. Now, let's say there's another guy who can't shred, but he makes up for it with an intimate understanding of advanced harmony, a great sense of melody and rhythm, and creates new and exciting musical textures with his music. Which one, in this scenario, would you call better?

The second guy.

Its all about making advancements in your field.
MATTERHORN
I guess it's all objective really isn't it. Some will go for speed, others for a more rounded musical ability, others will go for the best haircut...
Quote by Holy Katana

lol...what was it I said that set you off on a rant? I know what I meant by 'truly gifted', but others can take it any way they want. I'm not really interested in discussing the finer points of it.
So, you're refusing to debate with me? Why?

Quote by hackdaniels
I guess it's all objective really isn't it. Some will go for speed, others for a more rounded musical ability, others will go for the best haircut...

Subjective. It's subjective. Objective would mean that it's not just opinion.
Quote by Holy Katana
So, you're refusing to debate with me? Why?

Cause I can't see that there is anything to be debated! I used a simple expression when talking about something entirely different, and for some reason which I cannot fathom, you seemed to think I was saying that talent can be objectively identified, or 'shred guy' is better than 'more musical guy', or whatever - no! I was only stating my opinion. Indeed, I'm certain that I already agree with whatever it is you have to say on this subject (which I was not even close to addressing originally, lol), so I'm not the person to debate it with.

Aw look at that, you've sucked me into writing a whole paragraph on this non-issue, the very thing I wanted to avoid. Damn you!!!
Last edited by Beserker at Dec 9, 2009,
Page 1 of 2