The Plan: to do our own version of this performance by Spinal Tap at Live Earth: http://tu.tv/videos/spinal-tap-big-bottom-live-earth
(Tab here: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/s/spinal_tap/big_bottom_btab.htm)

What we need: About 10-15 willing bassists, a drummer and a singer with webcams and DIs or High Quality Mics. Those who can't record decent sound quality need not apply (i.e. no cameraphones) actual picture quality is not important though and you aren't obliged to show your face (however your name/screen name will be read out at the start by the singer as in the video.)

For now I just need a show of hands to see who is interested, first come first serve really.

Your playing style, tone and bass don't matter too much but some EQ shifting may be required to avoid it all blending into one.

So far we have:

Singing:
Nutter101
Thegiaco

On the bass:
Spaz91
Longneckdude
Faultyy
Nutter 101
Slaptasticdave
Anarkee
Thegiaco

On drums:
???

I should add that there are two drummers in the live show but we only need one, they can just record two tracks if they need to. Preferably no drum machines unless we have no alternative.

Protip: keep as far away from the computer as possible when you record, most basses will make a hell of a lot of noise when they're near one.

Idea: If we don't get enough people, or we simply want more, the same people can record another track provided they use a different bass (or at least an unrecogniseable tone).

WHEN YOU RECORD A GOOD'N BACK IT UP AT LEAST THREE TIMES
I've lost too many good recordings
Last edited by Spaz91 at Dec 10, 2009,
i'd be willing to try the bass
My Gear:

Fretless Squier P Bass
Ibanez SR400QM
Gallien Krueger 1001RB
Traynor TC410
Digitech Whammy
Boss DD-7
For recording equipment you can use a multi effects pedal if you have one, I've also used my Big Muff Pi to directly record onto my computer but I don't know what effect driver pedals will have on your soundboard/motherboard.
I'd love to take part, but I have no recording equipment at all
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
I'll take part if I'm not in work when you want to do it. I've got quite a bit of recording and amp/effect software so should be able to get a decent enough sound.

Thought I'd better add, to play bass. Although if you cant get a drummer I have Addictive Drums so I could program the drums on there.
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
Last edited by faultyy at Dec 9, 2009,
I can either sing or play bass. Bear in mind I'll complicate either task by being overly dramatic about it
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
I'm down for bass. I'll do vocals if there's absolutely no one else who's willing to sing, but I'd rather not sing it myself.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Quote by Nutter_101
I can either sing or play bass. Bear in mind I'll complicate either task by being overly dramatic about it

But isn't that the whole point of the song?!?

I'm in but I need to get a webcam somewhere. I have decent recording equipment--I'll DI into the workstation into the living room.

Now with that said, we do need to set on a date. If you're deadlining this between now and the 19th, I'm probably out of the picture.
^ There's no rush, be nice to have it by Christmas though.

Quote by Nutter_101

You're doing both!
Put me down as a maybe, i've got a webcam but i don't know if the sound quality will be good.
Another suggestion-but-not-my-fault-if-you-break-your-computer, I've recorded using the headphone out of my last amp. I also tried using the line out and it melted the motherboard (I'm even slightly joking there). USE PHONES OUT NOT LINE OUT.
Quote by fleajr_1412

this
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by fleajr_1412
Can't you do it with a 1/4-1/8" jack adapter (whihc probably costs about $2) and something like audacity (which is free) like you can a guitar?
Quote by zhilla
Can't you do it with a 1/4-1/8" jack adapter (whihc probably costs about $2) and something like audacity (which is free) like you can a guitar?

I would, I've tried it before. But that method really doesn't work well with my pc.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
put me down for mixing this thing. I'm not seeing any of you not blending together.

tell me what sound's you prefer when you bring in the song though. and record at flat.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
put me down for mixing this thing. I'm not seeing any of you not blending together.

tell me what sound's you prefer when you bring in the song though. and record at flat.

Good man, we'll sort out the details when everyone has recorded their bit. We might need a shift in volume in some areas as there's a large section devoted to each player doing a fill, is that possible? 'Cos I can't do it on audacity.

Because I started the thread I get to be the one with an envelope filter
I can do that. I've done stuff kinda like this before. not with everything focused at one frequency, but I've had to mix drums and bass and that good stuff together.

just to make things easier, only 1 of every effect can be used. people, sign up for those.

cool.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
just to make things easier, only 1 of every effect can be used. people, sign up for those.

cool.

Actually I choose Bass Muff Pi then. As my sound is usually pretty saturated. I'd like to place a ban on delay/echo though, the sound will be pretty cluttered as it is.

Also you are now joint head of this project
I'm in charge of joints?

1 for you, 1 for you...
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

don't bogart that joint my friend,
just pass it along
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

I'll go in for this as a maybe.

But if I can't use my muff clone (damn you Spaz) I'll go with overdrive. If too many people lack effects, I'll do some combinations of fuzz or overdrive with envelope filter.

Also, can anyone a suggest a good program to record video? I've only used audacity and Reaper before, but they only cover audio.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Last edited by gm jack at Dec 10, 2009,
Sweet ass Wick tone blended with a dirty signal. Just play me twice as loud and you get both for the price of one .
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Hmmmmm
I could do it I guess. I dont get exactly what were doing here though. I get that were covering the song, but Is this gonna be a live thing or just a movie kinda thing?

Edit: Not the double bass thing!
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Last edited by c3powil at Dec 10, 2009,
If the webcam picks up the bass well i'll do it.

And i how are you going to do the chords on the D.bass. I'd offer to do it but mine doesn't have a pickup.
ok i'll record mine by the end of next saaterday (19th) but can we agree on a tempo i.e 120bpm or something? i'll leave it up to you but we should all use the same metronome rating to make mixing easyer and really make this work
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Cool vid.. do you think they're all amped though?
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
Quote by Emergancy Exit
ok i'll record mine by the end of next saaterday (19th) but can we agree on a tempo i.e 120bpm or something? i'll leave it up to you but we should all use the same metronome rating to make mixing easyer and really make this work

Play directly over the video

Quote by xander307
Cool vid.. do you think they're all amped though?

Yes but other than the main three they're pretty quiet.