Hi, I've been all up and down the internet but I decided here is the best place to come for help.

I recently rediscovered my first guitar (It's a crappy encore strat copy i got for about £45). It's obviously not great but I want to use it more often now I've played it again. However i've got used to, well, good guitars since the action really bugs me now. It's about 4mm on the 17th fret...

I've lowered the string saddles right down, pulled the bridge down as far as i can and altered the truss rod, and the best i can get is just over 3.5mm. It's just awkward to play but I cant get it any lower. Any advice guys?
Wear you hair long, babe, you can't go wrong.
Last edited by Zevon Stardust at Dec 9, 2009,
is it that you cant go lower without buzz?

or that you losered the saddles all they can go, but the strings are still up in the air?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
You could try shimming the neck, and check how high the nut is - you may be able to play with that a bit too.

Edit: I've adopted my stepson's old encore strat, and I had to replace the neck bolts with larger ones as they'd worn loose. Check the neck is on tight - if the bolts have worn a bit loose and its not flush that will screw up your action big time.
Last edited by zhilla at Dec 9, 2009,
Quote by jj1565
is it that you cant go lower without buzz?

or that you losered the saddles all they can go, but the strings are still up in the air?

It's that they're as low as they can go. Nowhere near low enough for buzz lol.
Take the neck off, stick a thin piece of plastic (shim) at the back edge of the neck pocket, put the neck back on top of the plastic, so the shim raises the heel of the neck up slightly (you'll probably need it to be a lot thinner than you originally think)
Quote by zhilla
You could try shimming the neck

This could work however lets be sure to know
just how you adjusted your truss rod?

It's best to hold note on 1st fret (G) on the Low E string
and use your other hand to put pinky on 24th fret and
the thumb of the same hand to the 12th fret, there should
be a tiny gap between the fretboard.

you want it straight as possible without buzzing for intonation purposes.

You can "slightly" file your nut, as well as shimming the neck, since I assume
your guitar is a bolt-on

I did this to a friend's guitar about a month ago
Ibanez AEL10E BLK- W/ Graph Tech Nut, Saddle and Pins
Duncan Woody XL Pickup w/ stock fishman EQ

Schecter C1+ Darksunburst w/ SH-4 (N) & SH-6 (B) 24.75"
Gain boost Switch
11-14-21w-38w-49w-60w D'Addario strings
ENGL Fireball+Savage+Vader Cab
i asked you the two questions, because i wanted to make sure it was a neck shim problem, which is seems to be.
if it's a trem bridge, it's balanced right?

One example:
If you want to raise the action (because of buzzing strings), but your saddles are already all the way up,
putting a shim on the front side of the neck pocket will increase the distance of the strings to the fretboard.

*If your action is too high, even with the saddles all the way down,
putting a shim on the back side of the neck pocket will decrease the distance of the strings to the fretboard.

you've got a bolt on right?

i'd start really thin. you might have to remove the neck a few times.
release string tension first and make sure when you return the neck bolts to the neck, you dont cross the threads. take your time.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Dec 9, 2009,
Yeh you were right. I sacrificed a tupperware box for the greater good. It's much better now. All it needs is a humbucker and a paint job and it might be half way decent.

Thanks guys.