I bought a pack of D'addario phosphor bronze. While I was stringing/tuning it up it I broke one of the strings, twice. I now about a month later bought another pack of the exact same strings. My question is, would anything bad come from simply restringing the two missing strings or should I replace all six to be sure? Also any tips on stringing and not breaking strings would be helpful too, thanks.

Edit: trying to string the guitar. Almost broke the D which is one that I broke before. It seems like the piece of the string that goes from the neck to the tuning peg is touching one the other tuning pegs. Anyone know what I should do? I'm forgetting exactly how to string a guitar. Also can a G be used as a D if the D breaks?
Last edited by CrystalPhoenix at Dec 12, 2009,
New strings would sound bright compared to old ones.
I wouldn't recommend doing it.

Stretch your strings and tune up slowly. If you still keep breaking strings, you could try higher gauge strings.
Always replace all the strings. I replace at least once per month. They go bad even if you aren't playing.
If one of the strings is touching one of the other string post !!!! Then you are winding the string on the post in the wrong direction

This is the correct direction

This pic ive edited to show how the strings touch another post if wound the wrong direction.

Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Last edited by Dix_Fix at Dec 12, 2009,
that makes sense, but i tried going both ways and the other way wouldn't work either. It wouldn't start to tune up but maybe there's something else I did wrong there. Anyways my D is basically screwed so I'm wondering if I can use the G and tune it to D.
A pic would be good
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
yes it is a hard thing to do not

Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
not all of us have the resources to do that readily available. Anyway you were right, I was an idiot and was doing it the wrong way. I currently have the D and G string in switched spots but tuned to standard, I almost like it better, just might have some problems like with the neck or drop tunings that I don't know about. Obviously I'll have to buy another pack to replace them all like you guys said but this works for now.
Thanks for the help.
Well, to answer one question, its better to replace all the strings at once. The newer ones will sound brighter than the rest is one reason. Another reason is the older strings are more likely to break sooner.
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘
take your strings soak them in boiling water for 3 minutes put them on before they dry wear gloves see my profile for more tips
Quote by stringbenderjoe
take your strings soak them in boiling water for 3 minutes put them on before they dry wear gloves see my profile for more tips

I've heard from multiple people that this doesn't really work. As well, you should never re-use the pot you boiled it in. Honestly, just buy new strings.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
^^^ Blame that one on EVH! Of course, he is a freak of nature to begin with so go figure.
Quote by stringbenderjoe
take your strings soak them in boiling water for 3 minutes put them on before they dry

Bah, that's nonsense.
I buy my strings for $4.50 a set in boxes of 10 packs at $4.50 it is'nt worth trying to wash them & the main problem i have with strings is wearing through the outer (bronze/copper) winding on 'G' 'D' 'A' strings when bending a lot. I wore through a 'G' string after 3 hours on a set of phosphur bronze DeAdario $20 AUD a set. It is a bit hard to boil them & have the metal replaced on the worn string

Here is a pic of my string drawer.

CrystalPhoenix so long as you got your problem sussed Great stuf It is like you said sometimes it is the idiot things that catch us out. But hey you can gaurantee you will never do it again (unless you mean to) so think of it as learning. If i placed all the idiot things I've done end to end they would circumnavigate the world quite a few times. LOL
Also CrystalPhoenix i wasnt trying to get up your nose re my previous post. It is just that a picture speaks a thousand words & everone today seems to have a phone with camera in it. & a bluetooth connection to the computer costs like $5 AUD delivered. They are cheaper than a cable for your phone & work with any bluetooth compatable device.

here is a pic of my $5 AUD USB bluetooth dongle
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!