Alright, so for the past few months I've been trying my hardest to learn sweep picking. However, it is very difficult for me.

Luckily, I'm getting much better (compared to when I first started of course), but I found a problem that is hindering my progress. When I sweep upwards, it's nice and fluid, but when I sweep back down, it seems as though I'm trying to pick the strings instead of just sweeping through them. It's like, each time I hit the string my hand stops for a split second. But it's that split second that hinders my timing.

What could be the cause of this problem? Maybe how much of the pick I expose? Or is it just something I need to keep on practicing?

Thanks for all help!
Take it really slow at first. Work on sweeping up more as it is your weakness, and you'll see that everything else will improve, such as your overall picking.
Really, it's best to think of your right hand as strumming, an action more comparable to the speed and the motion you're looking for with a sweep. What will differentiate sweeping arpeggios from strumming, as you know, is the action of your fret hand.
WE MOCK WHAT WE DO NOT UNDERSTAND

"Know wha' ah sayin' ?"
It's like, each time I hit the string my hand stops for a split second. But it's that split second that hinders my timing.

What could be the cause of this problem?

I think it's that rather than making a continuous motion you're stopping after every string.

Practice pushing all the way through every string, utilising the weight of the arm for the continuous downstrokes.
try and get youre pick to point opposite to the way youre sweeping, if youre sweeping down, you point youre pick up. if youre sweeping up, point it down. It should be more fluid, and maybe help youre problem. im not really a sweeping master or anything, im not too good at it but this technique makes it less sloppy.
In case you're not practising with a metronom, go and buy one. Since I am doing, sweeping like Unearth is no prob for me