Hello everyone,
i'm doing a project for school and i've been recording vocals onto a laptop recording and the microphone sounds way high pitched...and in person i don't sound that bad haha

Well, i have a Radioshack microphone so that might be it..i was looking at two microphones: the Shure SM57 because people said it was good..and also the Samson C01 Large Diaphragm Vocal Condenser Microphone. The CO1 is cheaper. Is there any particular microphone that's better then the other? or better then RadioShack haha
is there any under $100? or nah....and is there any noticable difference between a 57 and a 58?
Last edited by ToForgive at Dec 9, 2009,
I like the condenser mic for recording vocals and always thought that was best? I use an MXL2003 and it was about $80. Never tried the Shure but thought that was used mainly for live stuff and the condenser was better for recording?

I used the MXL2003 on all my songs I've recorded so far and for recording my acoustic.
Quote by jackson1040
go with the sm 58 for vocals, itll give you a bit more warmth than the 57,

The dynamic response, and diaphragm in both the 57 and 58 are identical.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
My typical rule of thumb is Condenser for Vocals and acoustic guitars, Dynamic for electric guitars.

I would suggest the MXL2003 like Connelly said above for vocals.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
The sm58 is set up for stage vocals and has a wicked pop filter so you can get really close which helps avoid feedback for live sound. The sm 57 is used live mainly for instrument miking and it doesn't need to be miked so close, it is also good live for female vocals. You don't need the feedback rejection or the sheer toughness and durability of the shures for a studio though I've noticed the odd sm58 in the live at Abbey Road performances.
Quote by Phil Starr
The sm58 is set up for stage vocals and has a wicked pop filter so you can get really close which helps avoid feedback for live sound. The sm 57 is used live mainly for instrument miking and it doesn't need to be miked so close, it is also good live for female vocals. You don't need the feedback rejection or the sheer toughness and durability of the shures for a studio though I've noticed the odd sm58 in the live at Abbey Road performances.

no mic is better for male/female voices. it all depends on WHICH male or female voice it is. one girl might sound crazy awesome through a mic, and her sister might sound like crap through the same mic.
also, the reason for the funky looking grille on the 57 is so you can mic things closer than with a 58.

TS - a condenser will probably yield better results in your case. you can get a decent one for under $100.

i personally have the AT2020, and it's really not bad at all for the price. i'd recommend it any day to anyone looking in that price range. you might be tempted to look at the MXL 990 because of the price, but for half the cost of the 2020, you get about a quarter the quality.