My friend is looking for a new guitar since he's stuck with a Squier Deryck Whilby Custom Telecaster. What are some good guitars for about $700US? He plays general rock and pop punk.

Thanks.
Look into ESP LTD's like the ec's and the vypyr's for 700 hundred he could probably get a used Gibson SG o an MIA fender or Tele. Also no matter what we mention to you/him he needs to go play them for himself to see what he likes.
What type of bridge?
What type of neck joint?
What type of pickup layout?
What type of pickups?
What woods?
Any other preferences?
HSS strat ... Probably a MIM
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

Jackson makes some fairly decent guitars for around that price. The Rhoads guitars are not that bad if you do not mind the awkward shape, and playing in a classical position when sitting.
Not sure, but MF had a Gibson LP Studio for around $799 I think.

Also check out PRS Guitars if he plays live....they're good for that, and can usually get a decent one for that range.
Quote by dreamwarrior91
Jackson makes some fairly decent guitars for around that price. The Rhoads guitars are not that bad if you do not mind the awkward shape, and playing in a classical position when sitting.

a RR for pop punk?
A Custom Telecaster with double humbuckers?

They seem to be pretty popular among pop-punk and rock players these days (Foo Fighters and Paramore, for example).
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
I went into my local Guitar Center with a budget of 1000$, and walked out with a PRS SE 24 that I got for around 415$ (happened to be on sale, even). It just felt better than anything else I played, and I played a whole bunch of guitars. I found myself almost trying to convince myself that the Gibson LP I played HAD to feel the best because it was twice the price of the PRS... but for ME, it just wasn't.

I won't ever buy another guitar without playing it first. Even if you have to travel a bit (I had to drive an hour to get to a store with good selection) its well worth it.
agree with everyone who said about the prs se models. I went to a shop, played a Gibson sg, some fender strats and teles and some of the cheaper schecters. I bought the Prs cos I play everything from hard rock and thrash metal to folk and blues, pop and punk included. it just plays everything you'd ever want so well, although if you want to play slipknot and stuff it can sound quite muddy without new strings. but the shape and the sound really does suit everything and it suits it well. the sound quality is a huge step up. it plays like nothing I've ever played before and I've played most. the build quality is impeccable, better than that of US fenders and Gibsons and Jacksons and Ibanez. it looks stunning as well. hope this helped, but TRY IT OUT!!
A Custom Telecaster with double humbuckers?

that's what the derek whibley is, a squier one of those but with one Duncan designed humbucker
I agree, I knew nothing about prs when I tried mine but the neck is so comfy for both bends and speed I was in love... Helps that a prs se has great pick ups for classic rock/metal/blues... And I was in the same situation...

Try a prs se (around 600 usd) vs a Gibson Les Paul twice the price... The only lp's that sounded even close were around 2300 usd