Hey guys, I'm looking into getting a Dunlop Original Cry Baby Wah, just wondering what your thoughts etc were on it.

I'm looking to get a sound similar to Tim Wheeler from Ash, I was also wondering if anyone knew what other effects he uses? Been looking all over the net, but I can't seem to find any good sources.

So, Dunlop Cry Baby Wah, yay or nay?
I guess gear goes here ...
Epiphone SG Special
Ashton GA100
George Dennis Volume/Tremelo Pedal
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Digitech Bad Monkey

Vintage EST96NA Bass
Ashland Electro Acoustic
The dunlop original wah is great...isn't the most versatile wah out there...stock anyways. Maybe look into a Dunlop 535Q? Lots of different tones out of it.
The Dunlop Cry Baby is a really nice pedal. There are no options on the standard, no volume control or variable wah effects, but it is a VERY solid wah, tonally and physically. I love mine.
the original cry baby version is a straightforward pedal, but lacks some versatility...in time you'll find the sweep isn't quite what you want for some songs, and isn't as full as you'd like either. without mods, it's enough to get you by, but eventually you'll be wanting a lot more.

my suggestions:

either buy a modded original crybaby, mod one yourself if you know how to use a soldering iron, or buy a higher end wah pedal, maybe even RMC or Fulltone brand-assuming you can spend a couple hundred on a wah pedal

wahs aren't good pedals to cheap out on...you'll end up wanting more i guarantee. i had both the original crybaby by dunlop AND the vox v847a, and the vox was better, but still a little harsh and lacking in versatility-and that one cost $100 new i believe. buy a used higher end wah, you'll be a LOT happier.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Original crybaby is fine. It's a very specific (and loved) tone. The 847 suggestion is also a good one, another solid wah pedal. If you are willing to spend some money, I really like the Teese picture wahs and the Home Brew Electronics wah. Also there is the zvex wah pedal - a bit funkier, but super cool.

DO NOT get the 535q - it is a complete POS. The sweep is way too wide (it acts like a volume pedal more than a wah), the tone is mediocre, and its very hard to dial in a good sound with all the buttons and knobs. I rarely will lash out on any piece of gear, but this is one case where I'm not going to hold back. Stay away from that over engineered pile of junk.
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
^well when you have a bunch of knobs it's supposed to take a lil bit of time to find the right setting for what you want, and i'm pretty sure you can adjust the sweep range so that it's not too wide. maybe you just had a bad experience with it b/c you prefer to plug n' play with your wahs?
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
If you don't need to get a crybaby, check out the Ibanez Weeping Demon. It is absolutely NOT your traditional wah sound, and requires some serious tweaking, but if set up properly you can get some great tones out of it.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
It used to be a great wah, but the modern ones are overpriced and mediocre. i find them a bit harsh and cheap-sounding, to be honest.
I'd be looking at the Vox V847 (or its variants) if you want a slightly smoother/warmer sound, or the Ibanez Weeping Demon for a highly versatile and modern wah.
So the V847 would be better buy than the dunlop?
I guess gear goes here ...
Epiphone SG Special
Ashton GA100
George Dennis Volume/Tremelo Pedal
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Digitech Bad Monkey

Vintage EST96NA Bass
Ashland Electro Acoustic
^if you don't plan on using high gain then it will be good, though with high gain, the vox doesn't have a very noticeable sweep compared to the dunlops. a modded one, however, i do not know about...i used a stock one.

and both will do good for the more vintage sounds, though the vox will prolly be a lil bit better (compared to the dunlop original version-dunno bout the higher end ones yet) for cleans and light OD, more gentle warmer sounds.

this weekend i can let you know how the 535Q/CFH dime wah handles each style, in case you want to possibly get the dunlop with adjustable sweep and all.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH