So, i have been looking around for a new amp for a while, and i know that I want a Half Stack tube amp, but i don't want to have to sell my kidney's to get one. I have been looking at the Peavey Valveking and The Crate V-Series. I really like the Peavey and have tried it on multiple occasions, but I have not tried the Crate. I'm not biased to just these two brands, but I absolutely DO NOT WANT a modeling amp. I play like a Harder Rock- Lighter Metal type sound, and my main influences are: Avenged Sevenfold, Guns N Roses, Metallica, Killswitch Engaged, The White Stripes, My Chemical Romance, and Led Zeppelin. I basically like a high gain blues-metal type sound when it comes to stuff I write. I want to be able to get good Pinch Harmomics out of it, but also slow down the grit enough that it doesn't melt peoples' faces. Any suggestions?
are u willing to go used? what ur actual budget?
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
I've sadly heard that the best thing you can get at a low budget is for $600 or so. Not sure how that works out though. Good luck bro, I'm looking too and if I find something I'll post here.
Quote by Rcasa630
I've sadly heard that the best thing you can get at a low budget is for $600 or so. Not sure how that works out though. Good luck bro, I'm looking too and if I find something I'll post here.

Try a Crate Palomino combo amp. They come in 32-watt and 50-watt models. Really good amps for the price. If I hadn't bought my Bassman, the Palomino was next on my list.
Last edited by [VictorinoX] at Dec 9, 2009,
I would say my budget is definetly under $1000, considering the valveking is like 900, but i'm looking more at whether or not it sounds good and will cover my sound. Right now, i'm leaning towards the Valveking, but i haven't tried the Crate yet or really anything else in that price range. I don't want a combo amp, i want a Half stack so that i won't have to get a bigger amp for a while. I plan to start giging soon, and a 30watt Marshall DFX is not gonna cut it. I am willing to go used depending on the quality, but i am pretty skeptical. Has anyone tried the Crate Stack? I have heard the 33V and 18V have problems with sounding muddy and i wanted to know if the stack suffered the same fate.
Quote by Blktiger0
I would say my budget is definetly under $1000, considering the valveking is like 900, but i'm looking more at whether or not it sounds good and will cover my sound. Right now, i'm leaning towards the Valveking, but i haven't tried the Crate yet or really anything else in that price range. I don't want a combo amp, i want a Half stack so that i won't have to get a bigger amp for a while. I plan to start giging soon, and a 30watt Marshall DFX is not gonna cut it. I am willing to go used depending on the quality, but i am pretty skeptical. Has anyone tried the Crate Stack? I have heard the 33V and 18V have problems with sounding muddy and i wanted to know if the stack suffered the same fate.

Valvekings are very prone to screeching feedback. Just because combo amps are smaller doesn't mean they perform any less spectacular than a half-stack. Even at that, it's less shit to carry around. Try lugging an amp head AND cabinet around for awhile, then tell me it's a bad idea to get a combo amp. Depending on what you use, a combo might do you even better to begin with. I'm assuming you're using an MG30 because of the post above. Tube wattage is significantly louder than solid state. Even a 50W tube combo is loud enough to fill a medium sized venue. Just think before you unload a bunch of cash on something that could potentially do more harm than good.
Valveking 212 $ 640
+
Maxon OD9 Pro Plus Overdrive Pedal $206.25 or lower model of same save 100
+
Speakers
=roughly 1K

OR

Peavey 6505+ 112 combo $600
+
MXR EQ $120
+
Speaker