Ok so I'm self taught so far, only have been learning from tabs which I would like to change and start learning the notes. As for right now I'm wondering where to start in order to play bluesy imrprov and riffs. Is there just certain songs to start with or a certain set of scales to learn first?
you got ears, you know how you want your music to sound like. Just mess around with what sounds good till you find something you wanna keep then learn to play it well.
^ That doesnt really help.

A normal answer would be, learn the Blues scale which is a Pentatonic Minor Scale with an added flat 5th. Google that shape and learn it.

Then learn the chords, A7 E7 and D7.

Get someone to play the chord while you randomly make licks from the Blues scale.
Try starting on the root note and ending an octave high for a solid lick.
actually kapman is partially riight
one of the most important partso of the blues is your ears
and messing around
thats how i got started
a few songs that helped me with playing blues:

Cream/clapton - Crossroads, ouside woman blues, Badge
Zepplin - Since Ive been loving you, rock and roll
Pink Floyd - Shine on you crazy diamond
Hendrix - red house, killing floor
ACDC - hells bells

this is not meant to be a definitive list, just some of my favourite songs that helped me with playing in a bluesy way.

you should prob listen to what KTHXBAI said, which was very good advice.

good luck

G
Cursed to one day crash and burn because we fly so god damn high.
Last edited by hippyheaven1 at Dec 10, 2009,
Quote by kapman2489
you got ears, you know how you want your music to sound like. Just mess around with what sounds good till you find something you wanna keep then learn to play it well.

This.

...and learn the pentatonic scale- it's the same shape for major and minor (just in different positions) so you should be able to find a pentatonic scale to fit most songs/chord progressions. Then jam
Listen to lots of blues, get familiar with several positions of blues scale (I mostly just run around the basic shape and the 'B.B. King box'), get some backing tracks (something like http://www.freejamtracks.com ), jam along.
And remember that blues scale is not the limit, it's just a guide line...

I'm rather new at playing blues too, and those are the stuff I did...
When i got started playing the blues, i focused on learning the pentatonic scale/blues scale and the extension. I also stuck with the root being on A since its in the middle of the fret board. Practice going up and down the scale, in triplets, quadruplets, etc. until you know that thing inside and out. Its important to learn where the root is also. I also listened to a lot of backtracks on youtube so that i could figure out timing and stuff like that. Dont worry about speed yet cause with repetition and getting your fingers used to the scale, it'll all come. Hope it helps. Good luck.
learn this everywhere

then practice in these

then use 5/4 so no one can dance to it!
Quote by CoreysMonster
you know why rabbits are smarter than cows?

fucking cows start moo-ing around for no reason, but rabbits keep their mouth shut until they actually have something to say.

god I hate cows.