Ok so I'd like to know what the differences are (if any) between playing in B standard on a 6 string vs a 7 string guitar. I know the 7 string has the added high E string and that the 6 string has an F# instead of a G, but other than that is there any real difference when you play B on a 6 or 7 string guitar.
thickness of the neck
Quote by Ackj
Since regular black metal bands burn churches, Christian black metal means they burn mosques and synagogues.

Quote by Rick540
I play in drop F. When I chug on the 6th string the floor splits open and satan crawls out.
^Pretty much, yeah. Although I think most decent 7 string pickups have some modifications to the bottom B so that it's less muddy.
99% of my posts will probably be entirely misinformed, malformed, malware infested, and... marmalade topped.

Oh, and your tongue is on fire.
Quote by SoldierAnt
thickness of the neck

Width*

They are somewhat different. B standard on a 6-string will use the same chord shapes. A 7-string wouldn't, necessarily.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
So if I wanted to play a 7 string song on a 6 string in B standard, I would have to change the chord phrasing for some of the chords, or just how the song is structured altogether?
Basically why I am asking is because is it worth buying a guitar to tune to B standard and lower if I have a seven string guitar.
Quote by SCopeland24
Basically why I am asking is because is it worth buying a guitar to tune to B standard and lower if I have a seven string guitar.

It depends on you. I personally wouldn't. I don't often play chords using more than four strings, and I've got four fingers, so it doesn't really matter what the tuning is, I can reach all the chords I want. The seven string will go low enough, and will have the extra 5 highest notes (even if you don't go that high, the extra string is still useful to reduce shifting). I also find the six string necks to feel a little narrow, since I'm used to a seven, so width isn't an issue on a seven.
Ok I see, thanks for all the input people, I'll just get a 7 stringer and save me some money, if I want to drop B or do B standard on a normal guitar I'll just use my Jackson SLSMG (which is in C standard). But I heard somewhere that its bad to keep changing the tuning on your guitar, is that true?
is there still the same spacing between strings on a 7 string as there is on a 6 string? i play a classical guitar so i like wide necks and plenty of space
Quote by motoko
is there still the same spacing between strings on a 7 string as there is on a 6 string? i play a classical guitar so i like wide necks and plenty of space

It all depends on the model. You'll find on six strings a wide array of string spacings, and the same applies to sevens (although there are less models of sevens, and consequently less spacings available). Just shop around for one that's wide enough.
Quote by Majin Gaara
Just buy a 7 string. Tunning the whole guitar that low on a 6 string isn't good for it.

It really doesn't matter how low you tune your guitar, as long as you have thick enough strings, and adjust your truss rod properly.
if you figure you're gonna use the extra range, then a 7 string is worthwhile. if you just use 6 strings and want to tune lower, then its more worth your while to pick up a set of heavy strings, recalibrate the guitar, and chug away.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by SCopeland24
Ok I see, thanks for all the input people, I'll just get a 7 stringer and save me some money, if I want to drop B or do B standard on a normal guitar I'll just use my Jackson SLSMG (which is in C standard). But I heard somewhere that its bad to keep changing the tuning on your guitar, is that true?

It can affect the intonation which will really balls up your sound. It can be rectified; albeit with some work, which you won't have to do if you just use the 7 string for B standard shit.
Last edited by Calibos at Dec 11, 2009,
the scale of the neck. people don't realize 7 string guitars have a longer scale normally than 6 strings
Quote by z4twenny
the scale of the neck. people don't realize 7 string guitars have a longer scale normally than 6 strings

My seven string has a 25.5" scale, same as most six stringers...
I tune my LP to B, but really only until I get a proper baritone. I made sure to get it set up and everything, and I haven't had any problems with it yet. Coming from somebody who uses a 5-string bass, it may sound weird, but I just CAN'T work with the low B on 7 string guitars :/
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
B standard on a 7 string is a lot better... Tuning down to it on a 6 ****s up the sound, unless it's a baritone in which case the only differences are the G string instead of an F# and an E.

The strings are a lot closer together on mine I don't know if that applies to all 7 strings though.
Quote by btones
B standard on a 7 string is a lot better... Tuning down to it on a 6 ****s up the sound, unless it's a baritone in which case the only differences are the G string instead of an F# and an E.

The strings are a lot closer together on mine I don't know if that applies to all 7 strings though.

If you get a seven string set and throw out the high e string, there won't be tension problems....

You can get seven strings with wider string spacing.