Hey guys, I've been playing guitar for one year.
I started last year with a squier pack and it came with an affinity strat, accesories, and a fender frontman 15g amp.
the amp died a few months ago so i picked up a line 6 spider 3 15w.

Now, i want to upgrade my guitar.
What would be the best path to upgrade
1. upgrade neck? (i dont know im a noob at this)
2. upgrade pickups?
3. sell and buy a better guitar?

what do you pros think?
New strings and learn new songs. When there's a problem with your gear and you need to change something, it should be obvious what you need to change and what you need to change it to to end the problem, don't just feel the need to upgrade for the sake of it.
luyano: can't just bought it
and theres nothing wrong with it
budget: up to $200?
styles: rock, metal

LPE: My strings are new. mostly the problem is that the strings are really weird to bend.
right now i can play Knights of Cydonia well, the hotel california solo decently.
What would you recommened?
For 200 bucks you can, Save your money! That would be what i would do. Save up for a new guitar. Like the Classic Vibe Squier. Which is amazing for 350 bucks imo. But just save up. Practice harder, and then play a bunch of guitars at Guitar center so you know what to save up for. You could upgrade the Strat, but it wouldnt make to much of a difference because of the amp. Most guitars will sound the same through it. Or close to it.
Quote by geetarnoob123
Hey guys, I've been playing guitar for one year.
I started last year with a squier pack and it came with an affinity strat, accesories, and a fender frontman 15g amp.
the amp died a few months ago so i picked up a line 6 spider 3 15w.

Now, i want to upgrade my guitar.
What would be the best path to upgrade
1. upgrade neck? (i dont know im a noob at this)
2. upgrade pickups?
3. sell and buy a better guitar?

what do you pros think?
1. Some consider the neck as one of the best parts ... as long as the frets are nicely-dressed, which you can do.
2. Upgrade the bridge instead of the PUs. Get the MIM Fender Standard Strat bridge (smaller than the MIA or MIJ) from 2006 or later. It has the heftier, full-sized trem block.
3. Upgrade the plastic nut to bone or something better.
4. Buy a better, bedroom/practice tube amp. Get a Used Epi VJ for cheap.

Quote by Ippon
1. Some consider the neck as one of the best parts ... as long as the frets are nicely-dressed, which you can do.
2. Upgrade the bridge instead of the PUs. Get the MIM Fender Standard Strat bridge (smaller than the MIA or MIJ) from 2006 or later. It has the heftier, full-sized trem block.
3. Upgrade the plastic nut to bone or something better.
4. Buy a better, bedroom/practice tube amp. Get a Used Epi VJ for cheap.

It doesn't even have to be a tube amp, it can just be a decent modeler (Vypyr, VT, used flextone if you're lucky).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I bet a Vypyr 15 would go for less used - besides, it's got the br00tz in boatloads, something the VJ doesn't. If he wants the VJ to get dirty, it'll get too loud for use when there are other people in the house.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Ah, thanks guys.
Line6 amp was mostly an impulse buy after my frontman 15g. Just bought the amp so can't really justify buying a new one already....
Maybe when I get a job...
(i'm 14 btw )
Hey, so am I.

Thing is, I read up before I bought my stuff.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Yeah... rushed buy.
Thing is reviews on ultimate-guitar said it wasn't that bad...
and it doesn't sound terribly bad to me.

I guess if I can fix my frontman I'll sell one of the two one Kijiji and perhaps just upgrade. I'll see.
Last edited by geetarnoob123 at Dec 10, 2009,
The line 6 amps are really nice. I reciently went from a Epiphone to a gibson and its a world of difference. so id say, save up and buy a decient mim or epiphone.
^Correction there: Line 6 Flextones/Vettas are nice. Spiders (except for the IV's) are not good.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
keep the guitar you have if you like it and it feels good. just upgrade the things mentioned above. the nut, tuners, brigde and those things.
I have one of these myself that's 8 years old next year and still going strong without any mods at all. still holds tune extremely well(I don't use the trem) never breaks strings or anything else that can go wrong(knock on wood).

If you really really want a new guitar save some more money and try every guitar you can.