I was wondering how the construction of a cab effects the sound of the head, Like if I were to take a randall slant cab with V30's, and a Peavey slant with V30's wouldn't they sound almost identical? I am wondering because everyone seems to LOVE the mesa 4x12 rectifier cabnet, and I just don't really get what the fuss is about between two cabs if they have the same speakers.
cabinet construction does affect the sound to a certain extent...not as much as speaker choice though. Wood choice, baffling, and overall build quality are all factors.
Well, with guitar cabs, as opposed to hi-fi equipment, cabinet design is pretty basic, and they stick to a tried and true formula.

It's essentially just a box with 4 speakers in it. A big factor in determining the sound would be the speakers and the strength of the cabinet's construction. Mesa, Marshall, Orange and other cabinets have strong joints and are made of thick plywood, making them tough as ****.

I guess size would affect it as well. Many say that a straight cab sounds a bit bassier than an angled cab, presumably because it has more volume. I guess this is similar to how a dreadnought or jumbo guitar sounds "fatter" than a small parlour guitar or something.

My understanding of acoustics is primitive, but I do know that apart from the speakers, construction is a major factor.
Everything affects the tone man.....wood, wires, size... everybody loves the mesa cabs, well, because it's a mesa and are built like tanks. Some cabs just cant stand abuse. But it doesnt mean that it's the best u can get. Try them at a store and check for urself. If u've been playing for some years u'll hear the difference. Some cabs just cant stand abuse.
open back/closed back, 412/112, birch ply/particle board, slant/straight, ported/unported, vert baffle/horizontal baffle, oversized, front mounted speakers/rear mounted speakers, etc

there are a ton of variables when it comes to cabinets. the basic formula is there, but cabs are a finicky thing to add to your rig. once you add in room acoustics and speakers, all you can do is play the cab with your rig and see how it responds
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
Quote by the boogieman
open back/closed back, 412/112, birch ply/particle board, slant/straight, ported/unported, vert baffle/horizontal baffle, oversized, front mounted speakers/rear mounted speakers, etc

there are a ton of variables when it comes to cabinets. the basic formula is there, but cabs are a finicky thing to add to your rig. once you add in room acoustics and speakers, all you can do is play the cab with your rig and see how it responds

cabs are as unique and varried as the speakers you put in them.

...and NOT everyone loves mesa cabs