So I'm a junior in high school. i live in a shitty town nobody has ever heard of in Michigan thats obsessed with fish and beer. I'm looking for a college that has good music programs. specifically guitar stuff. I've looked at MI and SCU. anybody have any other suggestions?
Honestly man, go with something you can make a life out of. Guitar is fun, but it's not a career unless you're a god. Even then, going to college for it is a waste of money.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
I'm gonna find a way to make a living with guitar. i don't know how but i'll find a way
Quote by soulsablaze
I'm gonna find a way to make a living with guitar. i don't know how but i'll find a way

It can't hurt to have a more realistic backup plan.

Also, there is nothing wrong with fish and beer. At all.
Quote by Wulphy
Honestly man, go with something you can make a life out of. Guitar is fun, but it's not a career unless you're a god. Even then, going to college for it is a waste of money.

I agree with this. Music is much like sports in a rough estimate only 6 players on a high school football team will go to a good college and out of those players none will make it to the NFL. Probably only 1 will make it to the NFL and thats if they're extremley lucky and work really really hard. Music is much of the same man it would be better if you took your studies seriously and went for something a little more promising.
Quote by daytripper75

Yea i know. I've been thinking about it recently but there's nothing else i can imagine doing

and my grades aren't too bad. i've been C average until this year and i got about a B average now
Last edited by soulsablaze at Dec 9, 2009,
Quote by brysonisbeast
hey wulphy dont crush this dudes dreams.

I'm just trying to help him. Better him learn now than when he's up to his eyeballs in debt and wishing he could go back in time.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by daytripper75

Also, there is nothing wrong with fish and beer. At all.

this, my plan is to get my degree first then go out and use my creative talent, whether it will be used for writing or music is something that has yet to be seen.
VERY METAL!
\m/
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Quote by metaldud536
RazorTheAwesome, if I was a Ditto, I'd transform into YOU

Quote by Kensai
Basically god wanted to punish people for getting educated/eating apples.

Quote by Jackal58
We all desire a little pussy.
Check out Wayne State University, I hear we have a good music program.
James Madison University FTW!

but seriously, we have a new growing music program, and the school is a lot of fun. and JMU has one of the top business schools in the country
DECRESCENDO
fish and beer = t3h win, how could your town get any better?
Yours Sincerely,

Dr. Speakers
Western Michigan has a pretty sweet music program. The School of Music we have here is incredible. I'd highly suggest it dude and its in state which helps on price.
is too young to be versed in such grown up ways...

please listen to my band at www.drawntofury.com
Berkley College of Music in Boston is good and in a sweet location. A lot of music school have business components as well (for everyone who's telling this kid to screw it). Go to princetonreview.com and set up an account it's free and really really useful for the situation you're in.
Quote by patsfannumero1
I agree with this. Music is much like sports in a rough estimate only 6 players on a high school football team will go to a good college and out of those players none will make it to the NFL. Probably only 1 will make it to the NFL and thats if they're extremley lucky and work really really hard. Music is much of the same man it would be better if you took your studies seriously and went for something a little more promising.

This is so unfounded.

Contrary to what you'd like to believe, music isn't as nearly as make-it-or-break-it as you think. Unlike sports, where money only generates at the top, music has much more sources and opportunities to generate revenue.

"Taking your studies seriously"? Explain to me how studying music, which at the college level is much of a valid science as any other fields, is not taking your studies seriously. What makes writing a 4 part fugue any less valid than writing an essay?

Sure, chances are that TS won't become MTV famous, but you should know that music can be a middle class career if you know what you're doing.

With that said, the decision to study music shouldn't be thought on a whim. Music is a miserable major if it's not your absolute passion.

Good music schools for contemporary/jazz:
University of Southern Cali, Berklee College of Music, Northern Texas, Florida International University, Cleveland Institute of Music.
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Dec 11, 2009,
jmu has good music AND business programs?

and here i was thinking that the only reason for ever going there was the large quantities of attractive women!
Quote by jimRH7
my cat used to have a penchant for rubber bands, if that counts.

edit: totally doesn't count.

Quote by JacobTheMe
It looks like you are an asshole.

Sorry, kid.

Quote by red157
So, basically faster. And not so Jamaican-like.
Jacobs School of Music at Indiana University is one of the best music schools in the country, though it's not really contemporary guitar focused. you can do guitar there though.

but yeah you should be totally sure you want to be a music major as it is extremely demanding. part of the awesomeness of college is finding a band, which you can do anywhere. you don't need to study music at the college level to potentially make a career out of it if you're into rock-type stuff.
Quote by Xiaoxi

Good music schools for contemporary/jazz:
University of Southern Cali, Berklee College of Music, Northern Texas, Florida International University, Cleveland Institute of Music.

It's the University of North Texas, just in case you try searching it and don't come up with anything. And it's actually where I'm at right now, and the music program is really great. Our jazz band has been nominated for two Grammy Awards this year, definitely something to check out.
Quote by Wondergaurd
The Strat/Tele debate is alot like picking a starter in Pokemon, each is great at something and can cover other fields well, it's just what they do good and great that makes 'em different
Quote by bonesofghosts
Jacobs School of Music at Indiana University is one of the best music schools in the country, though it's not really contemporary guitar focused. you can do guitar there though.

but yeah you should be totally sure you want to be a music major as it is extremely demanding. part of the awesomeness of college is finding a band, which you can do anywhere. you don't need to study music at the college level to potentially make a career out of it if you're into rock-type stuff.

Are you a student? And to TS: IU would be probably one of your best bets, plus it would be fairly close to home.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
I suppose it's a damning indictment of the Pit that this was my thought process upon clicking the title:

"Sure, it could be about a college... much more likely he wants help with an annoying colleague or a tricky collage he's putting together. Bet all these replies are mocking put-downs. I wonder if I'm too late for the pun-off..."
Quote by soulsablaze
So I'm a junior in high school. i live in a shitty town nobody has ever heard of in Michigan thats obsessed with fish and beer. I'm looking for a college that has good music programs. specifically guitar stuff. I've looked at MI and SCU. anybody have any other suggestions?

Hmm... sounds like me.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Quote by lushacrous

Are you a student? And to TS: IU would be probably one of your best bets, plus it would be fairly close to home.

Yea I go to IU, not a music student though. However my drummer is and he's AMAZING.

you?
Quote by bonesofghosts
Yea I go to IU, not a music student though. However my drummer is and he's AMAZING.

you?

Yeah, I'm Informatics though, I suck at music, just enjoy playing/listening to it. About to go to class too, but this recent burst coldness really unmovitates me
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

Quote by lushacrous
Yeah, I'm Informatics though, I suck at music, just enjoy playing/listening to it. About to go to class too, but this recent burst coldness really unmovitates me

yeah I have class at 1:25. last class of the semester though.

hey I live really close to the Informatics building. how creepy it would be if I saw you... people on the internet aren't supposed to be real
Quote by bonesofghosts
yeah I have class at 1:25. last class of the semester though.

hey I live really close to the Informatics building. how creepy it would be if I saw you... people on the internet aren't supposed to be real

Hell yes, now on to the most annoying finals schedule ever [2 on monday and my easiest one on friday. I'm gonna have nothing to do for 3-4ish days ]

And do you live at Collins or somewhere else? Because I pass (well, passed) Collins like every other day on the way to class.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Quote by Gunpowder

Last edited by lushacrous at Dec 11, 2009,
Screw Michican, come to Toronto.

Humber, Seneca and Ryerson all offer great courses for composition, recording, producing, management, etc.

Not only that, but Toronto is the musical Mecca of Canada. On North American tours, every band comes through here. And there is no shortage of like-minded individuals with significant musicianship.
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious.
He to whom this emotion is a stranger,
who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe,
is as good as dead; his eyes are closed."
- Albert Einstein
Quote by lushacrous

Hell yes, now on to the most annoying finals schedule ever [2 on monday and my easiest one on friday. I'm gonna have nothing to do for 3-4ish days ]

And do you live at Collins or somewhere else? Because I pass (well, passed) Collins like every other day on the way to class.

I live about 5 minutes from Collins in a bomb-ass apartment on Cottage Grove.

Yeah my first final is 8am Monday ... then a paper and a test on Wednesday...then another paper on Friday. I guess it's nice that they're spread out, but i wish the paper (12-15 pages! and i don't have a thesis yet :/ ) and test weren't on the same day.

well hey if you don't have anything to do that whole time you can party! lol. but probably all your friends are too busy with their finals, right?

In other news, I have decided not to go to class today.
1) You described about 85% of Michigan with your post.

2)This:
Quote by Wulphy

You could minor in music, but if you're a guitarist, I don't recommend a major. Not a whole lot of work out there in that direction that you'd be interested in, unless you want to get a Music Therapy major, in which case I believe you also have to take a bunch of psychology stuff.
Quote by bonesofghosts
I live about 5 minutes from Collins in a bomb-ass apartment on Cottage Grove.

Yeah my first final is 8am Monday ... then a paper and a test on Wednesday...then another paper on Friday. I guess it's nice that they're spread out, but i wish the paper (12-15 pages! and i don't have a thesis yet :/ ) and test weren't on the same day.

well hey if you don't have anything to do that whole time you can party! lol. but probably all your friends are too busy with their finals, right?

In other news, I have decided not to go to class today.

Most of my friends are going home by Wednesday, but I'll find something interesting to do. And I showed up to my discussion section and my A.I. was like "Well, we're supposed to go over stuff for the final, but I'll just email all of you the Powerpoint and you can leave". So glad classes are over

And after seeing what Earthless said, I'd say that the only reason not to go to Indiana (you still should) is that not enough bands come here. I've only really been excited for Margot, but they play everywhere around this area.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Quote by Gunpowder

Quote by lushacrous
Most of my friends are going home by Wednesday, but I'll find something interesting to do. And I showed up to my discussion section and my A.I. was like "Well, we're supposed to go over stuff for the final, but I'll just email all of you the Powerpoint and you can leave". So glad classes are over

And after seeing what Earthless said, I'd say that the only reason not to go to Indiana (you still should) is that not enough bands come here. I've only really been excited for Margot, but they play everywhere around this area.

yeah but I've seen plenty of shows here (usually smaller bands), and a decent amount of bands come to Indy though which is only an hour away, and Chicago is close enough for bands you really wanna see, if you have a car.

lets see of the shows I've seen this year 3 were in Bloomington (Wilco, Maps & Atlases/So Many Dynamos, Los Campesinos), 2 in Indy (Coldplay, We Came As Romans/Oh Sleeper/The Chariot), 1 in Chicago (U2).

Bloomington has some cool music venues. I need to check out The Bishop. My friends have been going there a lot.