I need a good half stack ( for gigs ofcourse) 600-800 dollars.
I hear the valveking is very good, but only with the pedal.
I dont know what this pedal even does, but anyways i'm looking
for good distortion, i'm tech death, need alot of chunk but nice smooth distortion, no muddy bullshit.

Anyways, if you guys know of some good amps i might be interested in, please let me know and thanks.
the valveking would need an OD to get the sound you're looking for. Will you go used? $800 could get you a decent used rig.

EDIT:
seen you're from Columbus...not much on your CL, but here's some stuff I found on Atlanta's CL:

Carvin V3 combo: http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/msg/1497828034.html

Peavey XXX combo: http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/msg/1498226483.html

Blue Voodoo +1960 cab: http://atlanta.craigslist.org/wat/msg/1461983284.html

Peavey XXX head (make a lower offer, will need a cab): http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/msg/1458295208.html

Marshall mode 4 (I liked the one I played ): http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/msg/1488015732.html

Here's a used VK...would leave you enough money for a good OD and/or EQ:
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/msg/1483844136.html

and as mentioned below, Bugeras sound amazing and are in your price range. Just be sure to research their reliablity issues (most of which are easy fixes).
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Dec 9, 2009,
don't underestimate the power of a good combo amp, as well as the convenience. either way, i'd suggest a Bugera amp in your price range, i can't remember the exact models but they have some modeled after the peavey 5150s.

and while we're on peavey, i'm pretty sure they make a combo version of the 6550 now, which is right in your price range...and what better to go with tech death? i say go 6550 combo...that's just me
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Or a Bugera 6262 / 333xl half stack, which is a way more than decent new rig. Check them out. The 6262 is similar to the Peavey 5150 II/6505+ but with a usable clean channel, and the 333xl is similar to the JSX/XXX. Take your pick.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
My advice is, simply, don't get a half-stack. There's nothing in that price range that'll be a patch on a 1x12/2x12 setup.

Hell, a good 4x12 can cost at least $600-$800, so in that price range it's sensible to assume that smaller = better quality amp.
I agree with the post above, the Bugera 6260 would be perfect. Also see if you can find a used Boogie (DC, or maybe a Mark III if you're really lucky).
Quote by B3L!AL
I hear the valveking is very good, but only with the pedal.

Pedal??? What pedal are we talking about here?

I agree with eyebanez... going used will net you with a better rig. I'm for the XXX with a Fulltone OCD or a modded T00bscreamer for tech deathy sounds.

As it has been suggested before... if you can snag a MkIII combo used that'd be class
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Dec 9, 2009,
Quote by ragingkitty
Pedal??? What pedal are we talking about here?

I agree with eyebanez... going used will net you with a better rig. I'm for the XXX with a Fulltone OCD or a modded T00bscreamer for tech deathy sounds.

As it has been suggested before... if you can snag a MkIII combo used that'd be class

He's talking about a pedal like the Bad Monkey or Tube Screamer to boost it. When you put one in front of a VK, the amp really takes off into metal territory.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
If you don't mind going half-digital half-tube, the Line 6 HD100 isn't a bad head. I don't own one, but from messing around on them they seem pretty good. Find one used, get a B-52 LS412 cab for 250.00. For 250, i can't find a better cab. That's my 2 cents at least.
Gig Rig:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1
Crate BV120H
B-52 LS 4x12 cabinet
BBE Rackmount Sonic Max
Boss ME-50 Pedalboard
Digital Reference 2505 Wireless

I don't like BTBAM. Sue Me.

PLUR

My Solo Project
Quote by swordsofplague
If you don't mind going half-digital half-tube, the Line 6 HD100 isn't a bad head. I don't own one, but from messing around on them they seem pretty good. Find one used, get a B-52 LS412 cab for 250.00. For 250, i can't find a better cab. That's my 2 cents at least.

Blasphemy!

6505 combo is a great idea, same with the XXX and a boost.
I really don't know much about amps at all, and i need to learn.
I will definetely take all of your advice, but is there another site for gear besides musiciansfriend? I don't have any good shops here in Columbus.
Go for the Peavey 6505 Plus combo. If you want to sound more unique, you could mod a used Valveking (output transformer, new speakers (if it's a combo) and tubes).
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by eyebanez333
the valveking would need an OD to get the sound you're looking for. Will you go used? $800 could get you a decent used rig.

EDIT:
seen you're from Columbus...not much on your CL, but here's some stuff I found on Atlanta's CL:

Carvin V3 combo: http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/msg/1497828034.html

Peavey XXX combo: http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/msg/1498226483.html

Blue Voodoo +1960 cab: http://atlanta.craigslist.org/wat/msg/1461983284.html

Peavey XXX head (make a lower offer, will need a cab): http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/msg/1458295208.html

Marshall mode 4 (I liked the one I played ): http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/msg/1488015732.html

Here's a used VK...would leave you enough money for a good OD and/or EQ:
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/msg/1483844136.html

and as mentioned below, Bugeras sound amazing and are in your price range. Just be sure to research their reliablity issues (most of which are easy fixes).

+311 to this. This is a great list. Used amps are the way to go in your price range.

Slashrocks - it's a Peavey 6505 not a 6550 and is what the Bugera 626x series is based off of. I also vote for the new 6505+ 112 combo if you can't go used along with the Peavey Vypyr tube 60 if you need effects and such too.
If you decide to go for that VK, see if you can get it without the cab for cheaper. The speakers in the VK cab are awful.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
i think im going to go with a 6505, but i would really like to learn more about amps first.
I don't know anything about tube amps, or half tube/half digital. I just need to figure a way of leaerning these things so i can repair and..know what most of you are talking about.
^it's not so much learning so that you can use it, using a tube amp is essentially the same as a regular amp, only difference is you let it warm up a minute or two before switching from 'standby' to 'play.' other than that, the learning is firsthand, learning how the dynamics play a bigger role, how responsive the amp may be to different volume settings, etc-stuff you can only learn from messing with one yourself-otherwise you're just quoting other people who learned firsthand.

and as far as 'repairing' goes, tube amps don't really break down anymore than a regular amp, though except tubes go out once in a blue moon and you have to put new ones in, which is a simple task like switching a lightbulb.

sounds like you're a tad overwhelmed by the idea of tube amps, but don't let it fool you, they're not difficult to use at all, they're just a different beast and you're just learning HOW to make it sound best. and i think the 6505 route is best
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
+1 slashrocks

^^it takes time TS.

It took me a year of hanging out here to begin to understand how everything works together and I still don't get it all. Best thing to do is play as many amps as possible, read the Stickys, Search on key words to learn more, and find stuff on other interwebz - there is a lot of information out there.

As far as the 6505+ goes, the 112 combo is brand new and $580 and just now hitting stores, but you should be able to find a 6505+ 212 combo and the Head/Cab version fairly easily if you want to see what they sound like. There are lots of clips too on netmusicians.org. 5150/6505 same thing. 5150 II/6505+ is the same thing. Peavey XXXs are pretty bad ass too.
I've noticed everyone on this site is extremely responsive, i love that.
Thanks for the help peoples, and i was told tube amp basics were actually technical.
I guess i was told wrong, where i can i buy these tubes? I'm sure their different for different tube amps right?
Anyways, thanks alot guys.
Even though some high gain multi-channel tube amps can get pretty complex the basic components, and hence trouble-shooting methods, are fairly strait-forward.

Most of the distortion comes from preamp tubes and power amp tubes. Tubes can be replaced easily. They typically last 1 - 10 years.

This is a generalization but most tube amps out there have 12AX7 preamp tubes and EL84 or EL34 or 6L6 power tubes.

dougstubes.com
tubedepot.com
thetubestore.com
eurotubes.com

sell tubes, as does Guitar Center and the like.
I'd personally recommend eurotubes.com. It's a very well set up site with easy to understand information. Also, they conveniently sell full retube kits for your peavey, which takes a lot of the guesswork out of the whole buying tubes thing. All tubes are not created equal.
Also - changing tubes is something you will have to do every 2 years or so. When that happens, you'll also need to bias the amp, which is a complicated way of saying that you control the current through the tubes to make sure they sound right. I think the 6505 is fairly easy to bias.

I'm going to put in another plug for the Bugeras here. If you're going for smoothness, check out the 333xl. The 6262 is just as clear, but also somewhat gritty, which is why I bought it.This guy has some great demos of both amps that should cover exactly what you're looking for.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
well since no one put the tube replacement thing as clear as it should have been for ya, i'll go ahead and state that POWER tubes (the bigger ones in the power section of the amp, pretty much what decides your headroom and is what causes that added bit of dirt and compression when the master volume is turned up) usually last between 1 and 3 years (for regular playing or gig playing) and PREAMP tubes (smaller, the size of a...snausage?...pretty much shape the distortion in the preamp signal and has a lil more impact on the character of your gain) usually last like 5 years or more.

BUT, when dealing with stock tubes (usually really cheap chinese or some other low cost no-name brand) a lot of amp companies just want to put the most cost efficient materials to save them money, in mass produced amps, so they'll put in the bare minimum to get by. And b/c of that, the tubes may be faulty within a short period of time, may blow relatively sooner than others, or will just keep the amp from sounding it's best. They won't make your amp sound horrible, they'll just keep it from sounding as good as it COULD with the highest quality tubes.

So just don't be surprised if you get a blown tube in less than a year with a lower end tube amp, in any case-just take it back to the shop and have them replace the tube(s) under warranty .
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by FrustratedRocka
I'd personally recommend eurotubes.com. It's a very well set up site with easy to understand information. Also, they conveniently sell full retube kits for your peavey, which takes a lot of the guesswork out of the whole buying tubes thing. All tubes are not created equal.
Also - changing tubes is something you will have to do every 2 years or so. When that happens, you'll also need to bias the amp, which is a complicated way of saying that you control the current through the tubes to make sure they sound right. I think the 6505 is fairly easy to bias.

I'm going to put in another plug for the Bugeras here. If you're going for smoothness, check out the 333xl. The 6262 is just as clear, but also somewhat gritty, which is why I bought it.This guy has some great demos of both amps that should cover exactly what you're looking for.

I thought you had to modify the 6505s with a bias pot in order to bias them?

I don't recommend Bugera's personally to people who know very little about tube amps.

I don't recommend Eurotubes because they only sell JJs, which doesn't seem like a lot of tonal options to me.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Dec 10, 2009,