So I'm at band practice using a Crate GT1200h that I borrowed from my friend when it started fluctuating in volume pretty significantly. I had it at about 12 o'clock, and it went down in volume to about what it would be at 10 o'clock before coming back up a few seconds later. It did this multiple times. I checked all my connections, and everything was snug. Is anyone else having similar problems or know how to fix it? I had a Boss ME-50 running direct into the amp on the clean channel, and I'm using a B-52 LS412 cab. My first thought is that it's an impedance problem (like not matching heads and cabs correctly), but that's just a guess. Can anyone help me out?
Gig Rig:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1
Crate BV120H
B-52 LS 4x12 cabinet
BBE Rackmount Sonic Max
Boss ME-50 Pedalboard
Digital Reference 2505 Wireless

I don't like BTBAM. Sue Me.

PLUR

My Solo Project
Last edited by swordsofplague at Dec 9, 2009,
Thank you so much for the reply, was afraid I was a lost cause :P The cab is interesting. It has a switch on the back that allows you to switch it from 4 to 16 ohms in stereo, I believe. In mono mode it's 8 ohms...it's a bit of a weird cab, never seen anything like it. I dunno if this helps at all. It worked fine with my friend's matching 8 ohm Crate cab...so the more I think about it, I doubt it's that. Assuming it is a faulty pot/connection, is there anything I could do myself to check for a problem and/or fix it if I find something, or should I get it looked at professionally?
Gig Rig:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1
Crate BV120H
B-52 LS 4x12 cabinet
BBE Rackmount Sonic Max
Boss ME-50 Pedalboard

PLUR

My Solo Project
Well, honestly volume swells on a solid state amp are not that easy to diagnose and repair. If you are handy with amps, testing equipment and a soldering iron it wouldn't hurt to check the things I mentioned. Not sure if it is worth it to take it to a technician. You don't want to spend $100 to have someone tell you they can't fix it.

As far as the cab goes, I believe 4 and 16 ohm settings are for mono and 2 - 8s for stereo. Just match up, but like you said I don't think that is a part of the problem.
Have you tried it without the ME-50?

Not saying that its the problem...but it will take one more variable out of the equation.

Next: you will want to try a different guitar, cables, etc. You want to isolate the problem. Make sure that it is indeed the amp that is causing the problem.
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Dec 10, 2009,
Eyebanez you're right, that is a smart idea. These are all great suggestions, thanks a lot guys
Gig Rig:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1
Crate BV120H
B-52 LS 4x12 cabinet
BBE Rackmount Sonic Max
Boss ME-50 Pedalboard

PLUR

My Solo Project