Page 1 of 2
Gets the Guitar World Gold Award for Quality & Design:

Marshall MG50FX 1x12 Combo - Guitar World

Originally published in Guitar World, December 2009

"All the hallmarks of a great Marshall’s tone are in this amp."

Watch the GW video review too so you can hear this amp in action.
Fender Malmsteen Strat > Boss NS2 Noise Suppressor > NS2 Send > NeoClassic 3080 Compressor > NeoClassic 741 Overdrive > NS2 Return > NS2 Output > VHT Special 6 Ultra Amp > Amp Send > MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay > Boss RC3 Loop Station > Amp Return
Last edited by Yngwie#1 at Dec 9, 2009,
the new MGs are definitely an improvement over the old ones....but, they still aren't worth the money IMO. You can do much better for the money, especially if you buy used. I didn't really have a problem with my old MG for two reasons: 1. I got it super cheap used to begin with. and 2. I used a stompbox for my distortion and never touched the OD channel on it.
They didn't mention wattage or power. I would assume from the name that it's 50 watts. But then even at list that seems like a lot for a solid state 50 watts, and it's cheap as hell for a tube 50.

I assume it's all solid-state, since they mention that 'you don't need tubes.' You think if they like it enough to give it an award though, they could be a little clearer. At least about the wattage.
crunch channel was alright, the rest ere full of meh... as expected

effects were also meh...
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Dec 9, 2009,
Is this supposed to be funny?
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
Didn't sound that bad on the initial run through of all the channels. Once he started playing with the other things it didn't sound that great. But definitely an improvement from the first ones, my old MG30 was terrible.
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
Quote by soul.power

There used to be a lot of MG hate around here. Not so much any more but still some.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
I really don't trust reviews by magazines... whether its Guitar World, Total Guitar, Guitarist etc...

It takes a lot for them to give an average review and even more for a negative one.

Granted, they are a commercial business and have to play nice with the manufacturers... I can't imagine them receiving another amp from Marshall or Line 6 or whoever if they bash a bad amp for what it is.

That said, the other side of the coin is that they have to consider their customer profile... not everyone is MatrixClaw with the resources to change amps on a daily basis.

Read it for what details it gives and updates to gear... but I recommend taking reviews with a bucket of salt.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
I really don't trust reviews by magazines... whether its Guitar World, Total Guitar, Guitarist etc...

It takes a lot for them to give an average review and even more for a negative one.

Granted, they are a commercial business and have to play nice with the manufacturers... I can't imagine them receiving another amp from Marshall or Line 6 or whoever if they bash a bad amp for what it is.

That said, the other side of the coin is that they have to consider their customer profile... not everyone is MatrixClaw with the resources to change amps on a daily basis.

Read it for what details it gives and updates to gear... but I recommend taking reviews with a bucket of salt.

+1
Quote by ragingkitty

Get The ToneQuest Report. It's subscription supported so there's a lot less bias than ad supported mags like Guitar World, Guitar Player, etc.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72xuDFravT0&feature=channel

i'd say watch this for a better review of the MG. i'd trust Rob Chappers over a magazine any day, and even though he is endorsed by Marshall, the sound clips don't lie.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Quote by Waterboy799
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72xuDFravT0&feature=channel

i'd say watch this for a better review of the MG. i'd trust Rob Chappers over a magazine any day, and even though he is endorsed by Marshall, the sound clips don't lie.

Rob's review is done using his goofy Bandit character but I loved the sounds he got from the MG15FX and convinced me to get one for a small living room practice amp and I wasn't disappointed.
Fender Malmsteen Strat > Boss NS2 Noise Suppressor > NS2 Send > NeoClassic 3080 Compressor > NeoClassic 741 Overdrive > NS2 Return > NS2 Output > VHT Special 6 Ultra Amp > Amp Send > MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay > Boss RC3 Loop Station > Amp Return
Guitar World gives good reviews to everything.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Im trying to remember when guitar world gave a bad review of anything. Considering marshall is a big spender on advertising Im sure they arent going to give a bad review. Makes you wonder sometimes if they even actually try the product and just take a premade write up from the advertiser.
Quote by Tackleberry
Im trying to remember when guitar world gave a bad review of anything. Considering marshall is a big spender on advertising Im sure they arent going to give a bad review. Makes you wonder sometimes if they even actually try the product and just take a premade write up from the advertiser.

+1
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by soul.power

I thought it was good for a laugh.

I've seen GW demo vids that were scripted damn near verbatim from their respective product info sheets, and that nerdy little teen wolf fvck on all the videos can play like a SOB, but everything... EVERYTHING gets good reviews there. fvcking disgusting.
Quote by GrisKy
I thought it was good for a laugh.

I've seen GW demo vids that were scripted damn near verbatim from their respective product info sheets, and that nerdy little teen wolf fvck on all the videos can play like a SOB, but everything... EVERYTHING gets good reviews there. fvcking disgusting.

Almost all of their videos are like that. Everything about GW got so ridiculous I canceled my subscription last year. The only magazine I can read is ToneQuest and occasionally I'll pick up a Guitar Player if the cover looks interesting. I flipped through this months at the book store the other day and there was a review of the Spider IV. It was quite lulzy.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I didn't think it sounded all that good in that video

It just sounded like an MG. A little better than previous version? Yes.

Gold Award? No.

And agreed on GWs reviews. There is no such thing as a bad review. The only thing they can hang their hat on is the 'Pros'/'Cons' box in the periodic reviews.
the thing is, this guy has no ear for tone. in every amp review i've seen him do...even with high end amps such as Mesa, he dials in the worst tone.

watch Chappers' review, it does the amp justice
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
The day I hear a good mg is the day I question whether my guitar will have no pickups and sound good and have insane amounts of gain through an amp.
Guitarsenal:
Genz Benz El Diablo 60
Avatar cab with Man O War, Black Powder speakers
Schecter 20th Aniv. Stealth #07 out of 100
Quote by Waterboy799
the thing is, this guy has no ear for tone. in every amp review i've seen him do...even with high end amps such as Mesa, he dials in the worst tone.

+1.

Plus he's all talk. Let the guitar do the talking.

I remember watching him review the Satchurator and I thought he got the crappiest tones out of it
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
Quote by Waterboy799

I hope you're kidding. Nothing against Chappers, but every review he does is of high gain, shred tones, and the MG review he has sounds terrible, I mean, unless you actually like the whole fizzy, buzzy, overprocessed tone.

I actually quite like Paul's playing, and I thought he did a good job reviewing the amp. There is only one time where Paul dials in shitty tone with good gear and it's here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgbgUMqUMns

But I blame that more on the fact that he's putting a vintage les paul with PAFs through a Vox AC15 (a seriously bad call on that one).

As far as the MG goes, I'm not going to lie, I thought it sounded pretty good for what it is. No one is going to confuse it with a plexi, but lets be honest for a few hundred bucks, you could do much worse.
Last edited by al112987 at Dec 10, 2009,
While you guys do have a point about GW reviewing products from companies that buy ad space from them and all that, you're all forgetting the fact that when they review gear they are extremely unbiased - they treat the piece of gear as if it were the only one of its kind and don't compare it to anything else. Thats why everything, even bad products, get good reviews from them.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
While you guys do have a point about GW reviewing products from companies that buy ad space from them and all that, you're all forgetting the fact that when they review gear they are extremely unbiased - they treat the piece of gear as if it were the only one of its kind and don't compare it to anything else. Thats why everything, even bad products, get good reviews from them.

Good point, and that tells us what its pros and cons as a product by itself.

However, it really doesn’t tell us much when we are contemplating 2 amps.

I personally don’t think that their reviews are biased to the point where they are dragging out good points for the sake of getting more revenue from the advertisers… but I just feel that they aren’t brutally honest about the gear.

Although I admit that we can be overly critical about gear here on UG.

In my opinion, if a magazine doesn’t give a balance of good, average and bad reviews, then something isn’t right….

While gear probably doesn’t follow a strict 95% bell curve in terms of tone and quality, surely not all gear deserve a 4 out of 5.

I’m not saying that the magazine are all wrong or biased, but that their reviews need to be taken with some doubt about their credibility, after all, they aren’t truly independent reviewers.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Dec 10, 2009,
That's a lot of money. Bet they are still crap up loud, but ok for practice i guess.
Quote by ragingkitty
Good point, and that tells us what its pros and cons as a product by itself.

However, it really doesn’t tell us much when we are contemplating 2 amps.

I personally don’t think that their reviews are biased to the point where they are dragging out good points for the sake of getting more revenue from the advertisers… but I just feel that they aren’t brutally honest about the gear.

Although I admit that we can be overly critical about gear here on UG.

In my opinion, if a magazine doesn’t give a balance of good, average and bad reviews, then something isn’t right….

While gear probably doesn’t follow a strict 95% bell curve in terms of tone and quality, surely not all gear deserve a 4 out of 5.

I’m not saying that the magazine are all wrong or biased, but that their reviews need to be taken with some doubt about their credibility, after all, they aren’t truly independent reviewers.

I completely agree with you. It is good that they review gear for what it is without comparing it to anything else. However, failure to compare it to similar products can leave someone very misinformed and cause them to make a bad purchase.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Whatever you think of the GW demo or their declaration of a Gold Award I know there has to be people within the GW camp that are going

Yea, I know what you mean. Truthfully the MG isn't a horrible amp as long as your staying with the smaller wattage versions. However, that said, there is nothing about them that should earn them a "Gold Award". There's some guy that works for GW that's sitting in his cubicle thinking "Why!!????" lmao.

Also, I personally think Paul is a cocky douchebag - they really need to find someone new to do their reviews for them.
I think it's not that the magazines are biased but that they won't give anything too bad of a review for fear of backlash from major sponsors. Even in what i find to be the most reputable guitar gear magazines you will almost never see a review given less then 3/5 stars.

For example, Australian Guitarist magazine may not say that the MG is the greatest amp on the market but will mainly talk about it's good points and pull some punches with it's flaws. If they blatantly said that the MG was the worst thing since Hitler, Marshall would be pissed that they're most profitable product sales could be in jeopardy and they could sever sponsorship.

Although another possible explanation is that they just don't bother reviewing amps they think are shit. Maybe that if they don't find any positive aspects on something they just won't spend the time to convey it to their readers. Because if they did they would just piss people off without accomplishing anything, like even when they reviewed Behringer pedals the main selling point of theirs was the price, and rightly so.

The first ones probably more true though.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
we are clearly thriving in the age of boutique amps and fx, new creative guitars, and some relatively brilliant accessories and instructional tools.

what i want to know is where are all the reviews of gear that is TRUELY GREAT???

enough "thumbs up's" for the latest spider or MG, and enough with the prs se's or the latest finish on a razorback!

fvckin' christ... whose dick do ya gotta suck to get a review on some high-end shit?

...yes, there's TQR, but I'm on a rant here.
Marshall advertises within GW. They're not going to rag on their products any time soon.
It's a practice amp. There are worse out there. To be fair though, guitar world has glowing reviews of absolutely everything. Their reviews are pretty worthless IMO.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

All of these guitar magazines get paid to give good reviews about these amps. It's bullshit.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
Quote by SOADriff
All of these guitar magazines get paid to give good reviews about these amps. It's bullshit.

Truthfully the MG series are NOT bad amps, they are just overpriced for what they are. The smaller watt versions make very nice practice amps. The bigger versions aren't horrible but they are essentially just a really big practice amp and for the price you can find better amps.

I've played amps that sound far worse than an MG.
My concern with MGs is less the tone, since they are practice amps and sound like practice amps, its the reliability... I had one crap out on me and my friend had two crap out on him. Those are the only experiences I've had with them and all three were negative.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Right. And the Gold Award was for 'Quality and Design'.

I don't think they make fine practice amps.

PS: I don't hate Marshall.

MARSHALL HATER!!!

Get off the bandwagon man!!!

Quote by i_am_metalhead
MARSHALL HATER!!!

MARSHALL HATER HATER!!!

Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!