OK... I have (as usual) a question about pickups, so here goes.
NOTE: I CAN'T AFFORD BAREKNUCKLES. DON'T RECOMMEND THEM. I'D BUY THEM IF I COULD. I also have yet to find a GFS pickup that matches the sounds I want out of my rig and have heard absolutely nothing about Tonerider.

My current rig:
Schecter Gryphon w/ Duncan Designed HB-103s in the bridge and neck running into a Bugera 6262. The guitar has a mahogany body, rosewood fretboard, and string-thru-body/TOM bridge.

BRIDGE CANDIDATES:
Irongear Steam Hammer
Irongear Hot Slag
Seymour Duncan SH-4 JB
Seymour Duncan SH-5 Custom
Dimarzio Tone Zone
Dimarzio Super Distortion

Any other pickup you have in mind.

BRIDGE REQUIREMENTS:
-Can't be too treble heavy. The dimebucker isn't on the list for a reason.
-Must have a passable clean tone and still sound good using most of my amp's gratuitous gain
-Must be under $80
-I'm looking for something that can give me the elusive "wall of sound" for riffing and not sound shrill while soloing. This is why the Duncan Distortion is NOT on the list - I've played guitars with it in, and I find it really tinny.
-Bass response is important here.

NECK CANDIDATES:
Irongear Steam Hammer (neck version)
Irongear Hot Slag (neck version)
Irongear Rolling Mill
Seymour Duncan SH-2 Jazz
Seymour Duncan SH-1 '59
Dimarzio PAF Pro
Dimarzio PAF 36th Anniversary
Dimarzio Air Norton

Any other pickup you have in mind

NECK REQUIREMENTS
-Must sound amazing clean
-Must not turn signal to mush the second I bring in any overdrive. This happens now, which is why the Duncan Distortion is not on the list here either.
-I don't use the neck pickup for soloing very often, so I'm not looking for a shred tone. The reason the steam hammer is on the list is that I've heard that it cleans up just as well as the PAF pro.
-Even though clean is the primary function here, it would be nice to be able to switch on the lead channel without my amp churning out mud.

Hopefully this will be detailed enough to cover everything you need to know.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
For 10$ more per pickup, you could try getting the Seymour Duncan Blackouts... otherwise a JB/59 or JB/Jazz, any nice Dimarzio would probably work too...

Edit: If you could spare a bit more, I'd suggest the EMG 81/60 or 85/60. If you 18v mod the pickups, and EQ it right, even the 81 won't sound tinny, and the 60 is one of the best clean sounding humbuckers I've ever heard. Also, you could try Bill and Beckys L-500XL, it might be too similar to a Dimebucker for your tastes, but almost any pickup can be EQ'd to your sound.
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Last edited by Lovecannon at Dec 9, 2009,
you'd be surprised to find out that Low gain pickups and a high-gain amp is an awesome combo for good high-gain tones. I've got a PRS McCarty and the pickups are very vintagey in output and charachter, and when I've got a good heavy gain sound going on the bridge pickup has that wall of sound type feel going on and the neck pickup is really amazing sounding. So A Duncan '59/Custom set comes to mind when I think about that setup, or two Dimarzio PAF Pro's. You could try the Tone Zone and PAF Pro setup, also really good for that sound. I'd stay away from the Super Distortion, it's pretty clear and articulate, but I find it kinda fizzy in tone. Hope that helps a little bit.
What kind of guitar did you hear that SD distortion in? in a high quality wood, that be a perfect choice for bridge in my opinion.. Otherwise, the SD SH-8 Invader, EMG hz h4(way underrated), Dimarzio Drop Sonic, or even check out the Rockfield fat ass.
In the neck the SD 59 is the classic, but for something more unique check out the dimarzio humbucker from hell
sh-1 for the neck and maybe a custom custom for the bridge. or a custom custom/JB hybrid for the bridge.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
How do you do a custom custom/jb hybrid?
EDIT: Also, I just found this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWIRI2mZ3bA it's a comparison between the Steam Hammer and the PAF pro in the neck.
Quote by dr_shred

Quote by littlephil

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Last edited by FrustratedRocka at Dec 9, 2009,
Look into Rockfield pups they are reasonably priced and they have a great sound. They make two I really like, the Mafia and the Fat Ass sound great.

John
bridge pup - Dimarzio Norton
neck pup - Dimarzio Humbucker from hell
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by JLT73
bridge pup - Dimarzio Norton
neck pup - Dimarzio Humbucker from hell

this, definitely....perhaps a Breed or Super Distortion in the bridge but the Norton is the most balanced with the HfH which is an absolute shoe-in based on your neck requirements.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Thanks for the tips. However... what about Irongear? I really don't have all that much to spend on pickups.
Quote by dr_shred

Quote by littlephil

Quote by Banjocal

Dude, get the Anderson H3/H3+.

Honestly. Its (the H3) kind of like a JB on steroids with a smoother top end, more dynamics, and that elusive "wall of sound." The H3+ is a bit darker, with more output.
Bogner Ecstasy 101b
Sampson Era Bad Cat Black Cat 30R
1993 Mesa Dual Rectifier
Gibson Les Paul Custom (ebony)
Gibson SG Faded (brown)
Rickenbacker 650D
Eventide Timefactor
Diamond Memory Lane 2
Keeley Compressor (2 knob)
Korg Pitchblack
Rolling Mill in the neck.
I'd seriously consider the Overwound Rolling Mill in the bridge, but the Hot Slag should be similar.
Fifty quid the pair plus shipping less VAT.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by FrustratedRocka
How do you do a custom custom/jb hybrid?
EDIT: Also, I just found this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWIRI2mZ3bA it's a comparison between the Steam Hammer and the PAF pro in the neck.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22538
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
neck - irongear rolling mills or seymour duncan 59'
bridge - irongear hot slag

i have the rolling mills in my epiphone les paul and the cleans are amazing. i tried the seymour duncan 59' in a few guitars and that was nice too.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Thanks for the tips everyone. I'm probably going to go with the irongear set, mostly because I'm broke.
Quote by dr_shred

Quote by littlephil

Quote by Banjocal