Page 1 of 2
Hes a respectable guitar player, age 14. He has been playing almost 3 years.

He uses a 222 by First Act Guitar, Amp, and Cables he got from Target for about 150 dollars because whenever he asks for a new, better guitar and amp, his parents are the kind of parents that know nothing about music/instrument playing, so they pull the line "the guitar and amp you have right now is fine" and don't want to spend money on him.

May the Guitar God be with you, Zachary.
Says the kid with a Squier and a Spider IV...

You're in MY guitar god prayers.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
Quote by Kevy Absolution
Says the kid with a Squier and a Spider IV...

You're in MY guitar god prayers.

I'm only 14, I have no money. I got the Spider IV as a Xmas gift, and am saving up for a MIM Strat as we speak.

At least its not a Target guitar

EDIT: And there not even that bad, I do simple stuff like Deep Purple and Judas Priest, sounds almost like it does on the record with my DS-1.
Last edited by B.Renegades at Dec 9, 2009,
Quote by RPGoof
Is he highly skilled?
It seems people with shitty gear play amazingly, while those with expensive gear suck.

Oh yea hes pretty good, does stuff like One by Metallica, The Trooper by Iron Maiden, writs his own stuff, etc.
I own a Squire and a Marshall MG and I've been learning almost 3 years... no one's praying for me.
I don't understand this thread.

So what he has crappy gear.. So?

I had a Marshall MG an a Profile guitar (I never heard of them either), you know what I did? Got a job, now I have a beautiful Ibanez ART300 and a Fender Deluxe VM. (Doesn't sound like a good combo, but they sing together).
Last edited by naedauuf at Dec 9, 2009,
Quote by naedauuf

He has crappy gear because his parents are ignorant and won't buy him better gear. And don't give him an allowance or anything so he can save up for his own.

Thats why I am praying to the guitar god that he finds an Epi Les Paul or a Fender MIM Strat or a Marshall JVM50C Combo Amp or SOMETHING somewhere outside someones yard, or a $500 gift card to GC, or SOMETHING to get him some better gear.
Quote by naedauuf

I had a Marshall MG an a Profile guitar (I never heard of them either), you know what I did? Got a job, now I have a beautiful Ibanez ART300 and a Fender Deluxe VM. (Doesn't sound like a good combo, but they sing together).

Hes 14, job options arent to broad in that age group.
win?
"I'll have 2 number nines, a number nine large, a number six with extra dip, a number seven, two number forty-fives, one with cheese, and a large soda" ~Melvin 'Big Smoke' Harris.
Quote by 'Leviathan'
I own a Squire and a Marshall MG and I've been learning almost 3 years... no one's praying for me.

Well maybe if you had a gear list in your sig rather than the most colourful themepark-esque signature on UG people would

why dont we have a praying smilie?
Quote by RPGoof
Is he highly skilled?
It seems people with shitty gear play amazingly, while those with expensive gear suck.

A few UGers would like to have a word with ya.

I have too much shit and not enough skill to back it up.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
So this thread is basically about a kid who has cheap gear and how we should pity him like he's some kind of hideous burn victim?

I played with cheap gear for years,it isn't that bad.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by enceps
The gear doesn't make the guitarist.

How many times have you seen Slash walk up with an MG Half Stack and an Epiphone Special Les Paul.

Its true, gear doesnt make the guitarist. But when your amp sounds like the guitar is taking a piss and the guitar sounds like its taking a piss, then your gonna get pissy tone. Which results in poor sound, which results in people assuming you suck even through your really good.

At any rate, at this point, an MG Half Stack and an Epi LP Special would be like a Jackson KV2 King V and a JVM Full Stack compared to his current gear...
Quote by B.Renegades
Oh yea hes pretty good, does stuff like One by Metallica, The Trooper by Iron Maiden, writs his own stuff, etc.

LOL!

And suck it up, I still play a Slammer through a Marshall 10-watt.
Blindfolds aside I'd probably still close my eyes

And try to feel a trembling fetal life inside
that shotgun barrel that's about to make me bleed

Like an ulcer in the stomach of the beast

Quote by Aurex
your sarcasam amuses me

CSUSM
wash dishes,i still do as a side job made myself 76$ when we catered a HUGE wedding.
Ibanez sz720fm,Ibbly RG350DX, Custom Tele-> Dunlop 535Q->RAT Pro co II-> Ibanez Fuzz->Marshall Haze 40.
Tascam US-800 and a hand full of Mics into Nedundo 4

my music, new recording on the way in 2014

[B]insert witty italicized quote here
Quote by B.Renegades
How many times have you seen Slash walk up with an MG Half Stack and an Epiphone Special Les Paul.

Its true, gear doesnt make the guitarist. But when your amp sounds like the guitar is taking a piss and the guitar sounds like its taking a piss, then your gonna get pissy tone. Which results in poor sound, which results in people assuming you suck even through your really good.

At any rate, at this point, an MG Half Stack and an Epi LP Special would be like a Jackson KV2 King V and a JVM Full Stack compared to his current gear...

Yea it's going to affect the sound to some point. But even with the shittiest gear you can get a halfway decent tone, and that's all you really need. JUst because he has shitty gear shouldn't hold him back one bit.

And if he wants better gear, work for it. I cut grass for an entire year to save up enough money to buy the cheapest guitar at the store. Then worked 14 hour days all summer to save up enough for decent equipment.
sigh...
Quote by B.Renegades

No, no, no. You can have the shittiest guitar ever, if you're skilled it matters not at all.

Take a lesson from riffguy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVyroY5mCME
I opened this thread hoping for something along the lines of an amazing guitarist who got in a car wreck and now his arms are paralyzed and possibly for good
Quote by ChucklesMginty
If at first you don't succeed, play bass.

Quote by Jackal58
Cats don't think. They plot.

Catch me on FLICKR
Proud owner of a beautiful PRS P22
Quote by kylepianoman
I opened this thread hoping for something along the lines of an amazing guitarist who got in a car wreck and now his arms are paralyzed and possibly for good

Quote by B.Renegades

Wow.
You don't see Slash or famous guitarists doing that shit CAUSE THEY CAN AFFORD EXPENSIVE STUFF.

Hey you magically have $100,000. Would you buy the expensive stuff you really want? Or would you buy the cheapest stuff possible and burn the rest of the money with your thumb up your ass.

If its really that big of a deal have the kid talk to his parents and have a real conversation about it. Show them why a new guitar is better, drag them to GC whatever so they can see. Put them into it. 6 months of real conversation with my parents got me my Epi Les Paul 4 years ago.
Quote by Kensai
When I wear it I have to fight off women with a stick. Ifyouknowwhatimean.

Quote by daytripper75
Today, 2:51pm EST: Prodigy179 has officially hit puberty.

They're eating her! And then they're going to eat me!
OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-
bet id kick his ass at playin.
im 14 and played 3 years too
but i care enough about the guitar to get a ****ing job and buy nice equipment.
so if he just asks his parents to buy it for him he must either not care or be a lazyass which means he prolly doesnt try very hard on guitar...
I smoke like Rasta, got hair like pasta
I be sippin' on them shots then bustin' rhymes like Busta

Load up the bong, crank up the song, let the informa call 911
Quote by Motoxracer433
Wow.
You don't see Slash or famous guitarists doing that shit CAUSE THEY CAN AFFORD EXPENSIVE STUFF.

Hey you magically have $100,000. Would you buy the expensive stuff you really want? Or would you buy the cheapest stuff possible and burn the rest of the money with your thumb up your ass.

If its really that big of a deal have the kid talk to his parents and have a real conversation about it. Show them why a new guitar is better, drag them to GC whatever so they can see. Put them into it. 6 months of real conversation with my parents got me my Epi Les Paul 4 years ago.

too bad epiphones are just knockoffs...

^knows nothing of guitars... Higher quality Epis are on par with some low/mid range Gibsons you ignorant child.
Quote by naedauuf
^knows nothing of guitars... Higher quality Epis are on par with some low/mid range Gibsons you ignorant child.

No, dude, it's okay. Fourteen-year-olds know everything man.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
Quote by naedauuf

Yup,it's a 14 year old with an over inflated ego who thinks he knows everything about guitars.We see it all the time in EG,it's so much fun to tear their stupid little opinions to pieces .

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Of course, but no 14 year old is worth throwing a Gibson or some expensive, high class guitar.

Epi's are leaps and bounds above squier/first act which is the point I was making.
The main problem I found with my crap guitar was the action. Fret buzz anywhere above the 12th fret. Sucked balls. None at all with my epiphone
Quote by Kensai

Quote by daytripper75

^okay ill give you that the high end epis are as good as mid range gibsons. i was thinking more along the lines of the average epi......

Quote by Motoxracer433
Of course, but no 14 year old is worth throwing a Gibson or some expensive, high class guitar.

Epi's are leaps and bounds above squier/first act which is the point I was making.
The main problem I found with my crap guitar was the action. Fret buzz anywhere above the 12th fret. Sucked balls. None at all with my epiphone

i have a vos 57 classic reissue and a sg studio.
...its called work people you do it so you can get stuff u want...

Quote by B.Renegades
He has crappy gear because his parents are ignorant and won't buy him better gear. And don't give him an allowance or anything so he can save up for his own.

It's our job as parents to be ignorant.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Thank you for needlessly quoting my post.

also if you read you'd see that OP and his friend are 14.
Its fairly tough to get real work while you're 14 real talk
Quote by Kensai

Quote by daytripper75

No offensive to the guys with Epiphones but Agile owns the balls off of Epiphone.

Just sayin'.

But yeah, the gear shouldn't matter. My friend Josh is one of the best players I know and he rocks a low-end LTD and a no-name Fender amp from the 80's.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by Motoxracer433
Thank you for needlessly quoting my post.

also if you read you'd see that OP and his friend are 14.
Its fairly tough to get real work while you're 14 real talk

If you look hard enough you can easily find work at 14 (I did), especially if his friend is so dedicated to guitar, he should have no problem trying real hard to find work.
Quote by naedauuf
If you look hard enough you can easily find work at 14 (I did), especially if his friend is so dedicated to guitar, he should have no problem trying real hard to find work.

I hate to rain on your parade but no, it's not that easy to find work, at all.

I'm 17 years old, I have a resume, two letters of reference from former employers and tons of phone references and I can't even get a job flipping burgers or shoveling shit.

Just because you're in a area/situation where finding a job is easy doesn't mean everyone else is. This kid might live in the ghetto for all you know.

I'm not flaming you and I hope you don't interpret this post to be condescending. I'm just trying to shed some apathy.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by vanhailin
i have a vos 57 classic reissue and a sg studio.
...its called work people you do it so you can get stuff u want...

This I do not believe, as you can't even get your story straight. You say you're 14. In another thread, you've said you're 15. Based off your profile birthday, you're 16.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
Page 1 of 2