Hey guys. So for Christmas my parents said they would get me anything I wanted for Christmas as long as it was under $180. So I figured I could finally get a real good delay pedal. Problem is..I can't decide what to get. I know for a fact I want something with a looper, a long delay time, and a reverse effect. So after some research I came across the DigiTech Hardwire DL-8 and the Boss DD-7. Now they both have similar effects but the DD-7 costs about $10 more and 20 seconds more loop time than the other.

Do you guys have any opinions on this or any other delay suggestions?
Current/Main Gear
'06 MIA Fender Stratocaster
'97 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Lim. Ed.
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
The TC nova repeater is the same price as the DD-7, but it's more practical since it has a second switch for tap tempo
However, I don't think the Repeater has a looper. TS, I've been trying to make the same decision myself. I've seen Akai Headrush E2s go for $160 new at some places so you might want to check those out.
Squier VM Jazzmaster
Superfuzz/ RAT/ OCD /DE7/ Spring Chicken/ DL-4
Vox AC15C1/ Ampeg Jet 12T/ Guitar Rig
Memory Man with hazarai? It's awesome...and I second the Nova repeater. TC electronics knows delays
hmmm took a look at some of your suggestions and the nova repeater sounded real good but it didn't have a loop. I think I'll go for the DL-8 just for the fact thats its cheaper, is similar to the DD-7 feature wise, and is a true bypass, which I understand makes it so that it doesn't interfere with the signal path from guitar to amp right?
Current/Main Gear
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
I've heard the boss is a real big tone sucker, but the digitech is praised around here. I also would check out the memory man w/ hazarai
RIP Gooze

cats
TS, i'm picking up a DL-8 this saturday, so i've been reading up on it and all, and i'm pretty sure it has up to 20 seconds of looping...that's what i've read i'm pretty sure. i was also looking at the TC Electronics Nova Delay...but i'm snagging that Hardwire for $90 since i have some haggling skills lol. memory man delays get a lotta praise as well, i was really considering the Memory Boy but i wanted more frills in this delay pedal, as i plan on keeping it for a long while.

oh...and just to add to the TC Nova Delay, that extra button for Tap Delay seems pretty useful...but i've never even known how to use the tap tempo until just recently and will be trying it for the first time this weekend. i'll let you know how the pedal is...be sure to look out for my NPD(s) day thread
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by papersun87
I've heard nothing but good things about either pedal. I really like the DD-7 but have not played a Hardwire.

you sit upon a throne of lies.
alright cool thats great. ive checked out the memory man and it looks cool but its a little pricey for me so maybe I'll stick with the Hardwire. I might be going out to guitarcenter or samash to try them out this weekend so I'll see.
Current/Main Gear
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
Quote by EncoreBlade
alright cool thats great. ive checked out the memory man and it looks cool but its a little pricey for me so maybe I'll stick with the Hardwire. I might be going out to guitarcenter or samash to try them out this weekend so I'll see.

hardwire sounds good. Never tried it, but heard it. Carbon Copy is just OK. Not too great IMO, althougha lot of people lioke it. I personally like the Boss DD-3.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
^well the carbon copy WAS a nice pedal while i had it, quality for sure, and really simple and warm. but i didn't like the limited delay time (600ms)...though it seems with analog delays, more delay time greatly increases the price of the pedal and i guess it takes more space in the circuitry and all. but that and the natural self-oscillating delay repeats weren't what i wanted ALL the time. in fact, i'm more of the cold sterile delay i suppose.

the CC is good for what it is: a straightforward analog delay pedal with no bells/whistles. and i've never really thought the Boss pedals were worth their insulting price tags...i don't even like the look of them lol...they need an updated look, like hardwire series did with digitech. anyway, Boss make some good delays, just don't go with the low end one, i tried it and was not impressed at all. i remember hearing a lot of white/ambient noise and the pedal was brand new! i doubt all boss delays are like that, but make sure when you test whatever pedals you do, look out for that white noise when the pedal comes on. sometimes it happens.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
The Hardwire is a pretty decent cheap delay. The DD-7 is one of the worst tone suckers I've ever had the misfortune of plugging in. My DD-3 isn't anywhere near that bad although it is definitely noticeable to the point I took it off my board. The Nova Repeater is your best bet although I don't think it has a looper.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Malekko 616 is the way to go
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Buy a used DL-4, I've seen them in the $150-$200 range. 3 Presets, Tap Tempo and 16 Second looper.

IMO, best bang for your buck for a delay pedal
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by GrisKy
cc is a weak ass analog delay. spades are also spades.

What exactly are ya saying bout the CC? No offense, but that statement was pretty vague...and i don't think it did anything but bash a pedal without any reasoning.

Quote by lockwolf
Buy a used DL-4, I've seen them in the $150-$200 range. 3 Presets, Tap Tempo and 16 Second looper.

That pedal does look good and has nice features, but when the Digitech Hardwire DL8 offers most of the same stuff, as well as 20 second loop feature, i would think THAT gets the 'best bang for your buck.' That's just MY opinion, though having 3 presets is definitely a nice touch that shouldn't be overlooked. I just think when it comes to a stompbox effect that has most its mass produced competitors in the 100-150 range (new), i'd rule it out as 'bang for your buck' and more in the 'getting quality that matches price.'

maybe since it's 5:50 am and i still haven't gone to bed i'm just looking to be opinionated tonight
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by slash_rocks2005
What exactly are ya saying bout the CC? No offense, but that statement was pretty vague...and i don't think it did anything but bash a pedal without any reasoning.

fair enough...

the cc delay's feedback is bright and exact, exactly what you DON'T want from an analog delay.

the job of an analog delay is to provide somewhat darker, warmer repeats, not to be an analog version of a dd3. so, as an analog delay it falls short. compared to a tape delay it falls short because it sounds nothig like tape, and compared to a digital delay it falls short because it's not exact enough (or atleast other delays do a better job of this)... hard to find something that it actually does well.

I'm not sure if it still sells for around the $150 mark, but if it does, you've got better options in the same range (give or take, idk, $20).
^hey man, dunno if you noticed, but you started by saying the CC was bright and exact, but later you said that it's not exact enough compared to a digital delay? confused a lil...

other points are valid, though it never hurts to put 'IMO' after these statements when telling the TS or anytime you're stating your opinion, as a lot of people will prolly tell you differently on it not being warm, or a good analog delay, etc.

anyway, thanks for mostly being clear on why you didn't like it, just clear up that one part for me lol.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by slash_rocks2005
^hey man, dunno if you noticed, but you started by saying the CC was bright and exact, but later you said that it's not exact enough compared to a digital delay? confused a lil...

other points are valid, though it never hurts to put 'IMO' after these statements when telling the TS or anytime you're stating your opinion, as a lot of people will prolly tell you differently on it not being warm, or a good analog delay, etc.

anyway, thanks for mostly being clear on why you didn't like it, just clear up that one part for me lol.

Ok... I know exactly what I said, try to keep up...
the cc delay is TOO EXACT (not to mention too bright) FOR ANALOG, and NOT EXACT ENOUGH FOR DIGITAL.

and spare me the "sound is subjective" mantra... I'm not buying, atleast not the version being sold on UG.
Quote by slash_rocks2005
^well the carbon copy WAS a nice pedal while i had it, quality for sure, and really simple and warm. but i didn't like the limited delay time (600ms)...though it seems with analog delays, more delay time greatly increases the price of the pedal and i guess it takes more space in the circuitry and all. but that and the natural self-oscillating delay repeats weren't what i wanted ALL the time. in fact, i'm more of the cold sterile delay i suppose.

the CC is good for what it is: a straightforward analog delay pedal with no bells/whistles. and i've never really thought the Boss pedals were worth their insulting price tags...i don't even like the look of them lol...they need an updated look, like hardwire series did with digitech. anyway, Boss make some good delays, just don't go with the low end one, i tried it and was not impressed at all. i remember hearing a lot of white/ambient noise and the pedal was brand new! i doubt all boss delays are like that, but make sure when you test whatever pedals you do, look out for that white noise when the pedal comes on. sometimes it happens.

Haha, I disliked the tone of the CC. Don't know waht it was. Tested it side by side with the bosses, an Ibanez AD-9, and a Deltalab DD1. It was the worst out of all of them for me. My favorites would have to be the DD-3 and the AD-9. I like the DD-3 for the sterile digital sound without sounding as harsh as the DD-7. Definitely a bit warmer.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by GrisKy
the cc delay's feedback is bright and exact, exactly what you DON'T want from an analog delay.

Quote by GrisKy
Ok... I know exactly what I said, try to keep up...
the cc delay is TOO EXACT (not to mention too bright) FOR ANALOG, and NOT EXACT ENOUGH FOR DIGITAL.

and spare me the "sound is subjective" mantra... I'm not buying, atleast not the version being sold on UG.

Sorry but from the quotes, I would think you could see how the way you worded it is a lil confusing, especially for someone as 'slow' and mentally incapable of reading a structured sentence as I. You should have explained what you meant by 'too exact' for analog and 'not exact enough' for digital. And my 'sound is subjective mantra' isn't for you, it's for the TS so that he doesn't assume what ANYone here in this thread is saying is absolute 100% truth. I sense some unnecessary attitude, I guess it really has been a touchy day for UG.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Last edited by slash_rocks2005 at Dec 11, 2009,
pretty sure I said this before:

"the job of an analog delay is to provide somewhat darker, warmer repeats, not to be an analog version of a dd3. so, as an analog delay it falls short. compared to a tape delay it falls short because it sounds nothig like tape, and compared to a digital delay it falls short because it's not exact enough (or atleast other delays do a better job of this)... hard to find something that it actually does well."
I have to agree with GrisKy. I've always thought of the CC as an extremely mediocre delay pedal. Not worth the $150 at all. The modulation on the repeats sounds like crap as well.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by lockwolf

+1, then send it to Drasp, and get it modded to have external tap tempo, and a switch upgrade.
I was disappointed by the DD-7 and The Nova Delay. I thought my DD-3 sounded Alot better. I Lucked into a Maxon AD-900 I'll have a hard time with digital pedals ever again. But then i'm a bedroom player and don't nees a ton's of features.
mmj, did you get the AD-900 or AD-999?
I picked up an AD-999 a while back and LOVE it! my favorite analog delay I've ever used.
I also agree that the DD3 beats the pants off the DD7... not really a fan of either... not a sterile delay kinda' guy, but yeah, you get what I'm sayin'.
Quote by GrisKy
mmj, did you get the AD-900 or AD-999?
I picked up an AD-999 a while back and LOVE it! my favorite analog delay I've ever used.
I also agree that the DD3 beats the pants off the DD7... not really a fan of either... not a sterile delay kinda' guy, but yeah, you get what I'm sayin'.

The AD-900 man i love it!!! From what i've read the 999 is supposed to sound a little better I just can't imagine how good it must sound! I wish i could tell you what i got it for but it wouldn't be nice.
Last edited by mmjohn at Dec 11, 2009,