Relavant gear:
Crate VC3112
MXR Doubleshot Distortion
Ibanez Tubescreamer
DOD YJM Preamp OD
EHX Russian Big Muff (not the modern reissue)
Dano Fish n Chips EQ
MXR Dynacomp
Usual EQ (for the Crate): Bass 5 Mid 7.5ish, High 6 (not o'clock). Gain at 6

Line6 Axsys212

I'm trying to get a nice, heavy, warm crunch sound (think Under it All or Building the Church). Any tips? I know my EQ may be a problem, but I get a really nice lead tone out of it. Thanks!

EDIT: I am open to pedal suggestions.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
I know he uses a Keeley modded DS-1 for distortion. You could probably get close with MXR distortion + EQ?
Quote by Rockford_rocks
HENDRIX WAS NOT MEANT TO GO WOOBLYWOOBLYWOOBLYWOOBLY!

Modded DS-1 (like Vai used to use) or an Ibanez Jemini (like Vai currently uses)

/thread?
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
I dont know a whole lot about Vai's gear. But a lot of his sound is from his high output pickups. Dimarzio Evo's i believe. and his carvin legacy amps. Oh and i know he has a keeley moded ds-1 hope that info helps.
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
I used to have a DS-1, but I gave it away because I couldn't coax a decent tone out of it with my amp. I've never tried a modded one though. Is the Jemini worth the $200? And by worth, I mean is it good in general, out side of trying to sound like Vai?
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
The Evolution pickups will bring you quite a distance... no other pickup sounds like them.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by theacousticpunk
I used to have a DS-1, but I gave it away because I couldn't coax a decent tone out of it with my amp. I've never tried a modded one though. Is the Jemini worth the $200? And by worth, I mean is it good in general, out side of trying to sound like Vai?
It's a fine pedal. But, like everything music related, try before you buy. Or at least go watch Steve Vai's Jemini demo on YouTube.

Quote by colin617
Wasn't he using (still is using?) a Bogner Ecstasy for a while?
I've only ever seen him standing in front of Carvin amps.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by ch0
It's a fine pedal. But, like everything music related, try before you buy. Or at least go watch Steve Vai's Jemini demo on YouTube.

I've only ever seen him standing in front of Carvin amps.

Dummy heads, maybe?

Also, I found this:
http://www.djnoble.demon.co.uk/ints/STEVEVA.IIN.html

Alien Love Secrets is an Ecstasy and a JCM 900.
Quote by colin617
Dummy heads, maybe?
Dummy Carvin heads? Why?

Anyways, he's sponsored by Carvin so he has to use them. Though there are a good 25 years of his music where I have no idea what he played through.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Quote by ch0
Dummy Carvin heads? Why?

Anyways, he's sponsored by Carvin so he has to use them. Though there are a good 25 years of his music where I have no idea what he played through.

He doesn't HAVE to use them, he just has to have them present on stage. A lot of artists do this. The simple answer is that Carvin will pay him more than Bogner will. Metallica is famous for having Mesa Rectifiers on stage while their racks are hidden.

There are two records where you can here the Legacy prominently, but most of Vai's main rhythm sound is a Bogner Ecstasy (which I believe off of which the Legacy is based). I do think he uses the Legacies for leads a lot.
Vai still uses the Bogner. If you watch his Jemini video and look above the Carvins, you can see the Ecstasy.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
^ indeed

Oh well, you learn something new every day. I was making a general assumption based on Joe Satriani's arrangement with Peavey. He has to use Peavey amps while performing in North America. It's only when he goes abroad that the contract no longer holds any sway and he's free to play what he wants.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Quote by ch0
^ indeed

Oh well, you learn something new every day. I was making a general assumption based on Joe Satriani's arrangement with Peavey. He has to use Peavey amps while performing in North America. It's only when he goes abroad that the contract no longer holds any sway and he's free to play what he wants.

I thought in Chickenfoot he went back to using his Marshall's?
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
speaking of 'building the church', i was just downloading a bunch of Vai a few min ago and that was one of the songs i downloaded lol....

Whenever i start feeling good about my progress on guitar, i like to listen to some Vai and then remind myself that i should never get cocky b/c i'll never be as amazing as him.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by soul.power
I thought in Chickenfoot he went back to using his Marshall's?
ugh...

Yeah, seems likely.

I'm just gonna bow out of this thread now
Quote by Marty Friedman
Vai also has a Keeley TS9DX, or has in the past. And I know he used to use Bogners, but I didnt know he still was. I dont think the Jemini is really that special, its basically a modded DS-1 and a Tubescreamer in one.
Quote by ch0
^ indeed

I have not seen him live nor studied his gear but usually endorsers don't care as long as their amps are up on the stage. I could be wrong, but I don't think they care so much if there is a different amp head behind that wall of speaker cabinets.

Yeah, I heard that too that Satch moved on to Marshall.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Dec 10, 2009,

I always thought he used a stock DS1
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull

I always thought he used a stock DS1

I think he did, like Satch, but an old 80's MIJ one. He did use Bogners too for ALS.