" . . . . . oh Archie. . . . why are you aaalllwwwaaayys going owawn abay'out da' HOT-RODD'ED MARSHALLS !? !? ?!"

"Oh yeah you silly little girl? would you rather they was pushed out'a WINDAAZZZ!!! !!? !?! ???"

so where is this post leading? oh yes... all this hot rodded marshalls... every thrid amp manufacturer seems to be based off of marshalls.

i think mesa started out hot rodding fenders, but youi never hear about amp manufacturers based off of fenders.

Illuminate me into the inner knowledge.
Eh?

Marshall's first amps were hot-rodded fender bassmans.

There are tons and tons of amps based off of fenders. About every boutique builder is just modifying or copying old Fenders.

I'm entirely sure what in the world you are looking for, though. Also I don't know if this thread would belong here.
people like marshalls.
so companies base designs off of existing marshall circuits.

you quite often see an amp's clean channel described as having 'fender-y cleans', though. so I don't think your argument (or...question?) makes tons of sense..

I don't know mesa's background, but assuming you're correct in saying mesas are based off of hot rodded fender designs... doesn't that mean companies DO base their amps off of fender ideas?

You also say 'every third amp manufacturer seems to be based off marshalls'
surely thats not entirely accurate, but .. what are the other 2/3rds based off of?

Marshalls get cloned so much, probably because theres alot of players who like a marshally high-gain tone.

I'm ...really not sure where you're going with your post, so i'm not sure where to go with my response..
..so I'll re-state my first thought..
Why do marshalls get cloned so much?
because people like them. simple as that.
that doesnt mean other amp designs don't get cloned/rebuilt often, though..

Last edited by james4 at Dec 9, 2009,
i want to know why there isnt many vox based takes on new amps.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by sethp
every thrid amp manufacturer seems to be based off of marshalls.
Quote by sethp
but youi never hear about amp manufacturers based off of fenders.
Try actually doing some RESEARCH rather than just speculation.

Go to Schematic Heaven and actually analyze the circuits they're using.
Don't just assume because the chassis and cabinet look similar to Marshall that the guts are the same. You're in for some surprises here.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Try actually doing some RESEARCH rather than just speculation.

Go to Schematic Heaven and actually analyze the circuits they're using.
Don't just assume because the chassis and cabinet look similar to Marshall that the guts are the same. You're in for some surprises here.

you're right. i was hyperbolizing
so from what i FEEL, and seem to have researched and read about, it would seem that many modern designs are hot-rodded marshalls
splawn
soldano? idk
and all the freak'n marshall-RODs damnit! i don't know.

so how would you do a high-gain VOX???
of all things

edit: and i wasn't talking about the trimmings and grill cloth.
Quote by sethp
you're right. i was hyperbolizing
so from what i FEEL, and seem to have researched and read about, it would seem that many modern designs are hot-rodded marshalls
splawn
soldano? idk
and all the freak'n marshall-RODs damnit! i don't know.

so how would you do a high-gain VOX???
of all things

edit: and i wasn't talking about the trimmings and grill cloth.

You wouldn't, they don't sound good.
The Vox power amp (AC30 type anyways) is very loose and open sounding.
This makes for great, sparkling cleans and warm spongy overdrive sounds.
However try a high gain preamp in front of that power amp and then go chugging some Lamb Of God. It'll just be a mush.

All amps are the same basic designs.
RCA published manuals with various designs in them in order to sell more valves.
These included TV circuits and radios etc. but also instrument amplifier circuits.
Fender copied the instrument amplifier diagrams given in the RCA manuals, Marshall copied Fender with their variations, Mesa copied Fender with their variations (more gain), Soldano copied Marshall with their variation (more gain) and so on and so on.
All amps have a preamp ( there's about 5 rough variations) and a power amp (there's about 2 rough variations) and that's it. After that each amp is tweaked for a specific frequency responce and gain and features such as channel switching and FX Loops.
Quote by PaoloJM
You wouldn't, they don't sound good.
The Vox power amp (AC30 type anyways) is very loose and open sounding.
This makes for great, sparkling cleans and warm spongy overdrive sounds.
However try a high gain preamp in front of that power amp and then go chugging some Lamb Of God. It'll just be a mush.

All amps are the same basic designs.
RCA published manuals with various designs in them in order to sell more valves.
These included TV circuits and radios etc. but also instrument amplifier circuits.
Fender copied the instrument amplifier diagrams given in the RCA manuals, Marshall copied Fender with their variations, Mesa copied Fender with their variations (more gain), Soldano copied Marshall with their variation (more gain) and so on and so on.
All amps have a preamp ( there's about 5 rough variations) and a power amp (there's about 2 rough variations) and that's it. After that each amp is tweaked for a specific frequency responce and gain and features such as channel switching and FX Loops.

very interesting. so fender was the first company to create the guitar amplifier?
Quote by end_citizen
Eh?

Marshall's first amps were hot-rodded fender bassmans.

There are tons and tons of amps based off of fenders. About every boutique builder is just modifying or copying old Fenders.

I'm entirely sure what in the world you are looking for, though. Also I don't know if this thread would belong here.

The "first" Marshall wasn't even a Bassman clone, it was the Bassman loaded with different tubes and a couple of resistors extra really.

I'd say most boutique builders tend to copy Marshall rather then Fender amps
although there are TONS of boutique builders that i'm not aware of
Quote by sethp
very interesting. so fender was the first company to create the guitar amplifier?

Nope, Gibson were AFAIK believe it or not.
Fender were the first to successfully mass produce guitar amplifiers though.