Are there many of you who can play drums, yet don't play them in your band? As of the moment i'm in a four-piece where i'm a singer/guitarist, because i figured it'd be easier to get my songs across if i was the guy who did the vocal melody, etc, some of the time (we have another singer/guitarist). This works well for me, but i am a drummer at heart, since it was the first instrument i learnt, and have been playing for over 6 or so years. If you have or are in this kind of situation, is it hard for you guys not to interfere with the person who's doing an instrument you can play's way of going about themself?

Though i actually think the drummer of my band is probably better than me, since he's pretty awesome at double-kick, i sometimes think to myself when me & the other guitarist show a song, how different i'd go about the song, and that my way might be better. Of course, there's been times when it's been the opposite way as well.

Anyone else been in this situation?

EDIT: By the way, i understand he's a different drummer, with a different perspective and everything, and definitely worth keeping around since he's both skilled and a good kid that i get along with, but i just wanted to know how you all would go about this kind of scenario.
Last edited by AwesomeDrummer at Dec 9, 2009,
don't be afraid to share your ideas with him. it doesn't need to be a secret that you can play the drums too. if you have an idea for something cool, ask to play his set and show him your idea. if he likes it, great. if not, oh well.
Im the singer/lead guitar in my band of 4, I can somewhat play drums. my rhythm guitar can play guitar and keys, my drummer can play guitar and bass, and my bassist, well, can barely play bass >.<

people have their talents, they use them when needed.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
I like playing drums, theres just something about it, but I'm a bassist at heart, sometimes I wish I could play both at the same time though cause our drummer is loud as hell.
Quote by SlashYourFug
don't be afraid to share your ideas with him. it doesn't need to be a secret that you can play the drums too. if you have an idea for something cool, ask to play his set and show him your idea. if he likes it, great. if not, oh well.

Yeah, he often kinda just goes "yeah..." and doesn't necessarily take it into account. I'll have to confront him about it later.
Quote by AwesomeDrummer
Yeah, he often kinda just goes "yeah..." and doesn't necessarily take it into account. I'll have to confront him about it later.

Thats the way our drummer is man not just about drums either man sometimes my friend whos a blackbelt in kung fu is tellin him how to throw correct punches and he's so stubborn about it, idk maybe its just a percussionist thing...
I started out playing drums about almost 4 years ago but I've picked up the guitar and pretty much anything else I can find in the past year as well. I play drums in my band but I'd love to be a rhythm guitarist so I could get up and enjoy the front of the stage. That being said, I do love to be able to sit back behind everyone and just go off

I think I'd hate drumming in a band with someone else who's a good drummer and is the main songwriter like Taylor Hawkins in the Foo-y's with Dave. I'd absolutely hate to be told how a song should be played all the way down to what fills should be done.
Ya at practice sometimes we'll switch instruments for a song, and it does bug me when other people play. I'm also sort of the opposite, I am the drummer but since I play guitar I'll bring in riffs or songs, or make suggestions to him. Like someone else said try and make some suggestions if you think the song might sound different another way. If it's bothering you not playing that much then start a side project with you on the drums.
i like playing drums.

...except instead of sticks i use my fists.

...and i'm not using drums, but rather bar patrons.

BOOYAOW!!!

jk... i got nuthin'
Quote by MR. Goodcents
Ya at practice sometimes we'll switch instruments for a song, and it does bug me when other people play. I'm also sort of the opposite, I am the drummer but since I play guitar I'll bring in riffs or songs, or make suggestions to him. Like someone else said try and make some suggestions if you think the song might sound different another way. If it's bothering you not playing that much then start a side project with you on the drums.

Wow thats a really cool idea, to all switch instruments for a song. I might have to try that!

TS, I've been drumming for a few years, though not as long as I've been playing guitar, and I've drummed in a band before. A lot of our songs are written with me coming up with a drumbeat and my other guitarist fitting things over it. I dunno, it just works for us =P anyway, this often means that the drummer has to either learn my drumbeat, or come up with his own one, and he rather resents that. I usually just let him do what he wants because he usually comes up with something pretty similar anyway, but when we do songs in 5/8 or 7/8, he often has trouble and I can't stop myself from trying to help him.
Quote by SeeEmilyPlay
Why do so many drummers want to be the guitarist? Is it because you feel you don't get enough credit sometimes?

Or maybe...just maybe, it's because they enjoy playing guitar?
Quote by SeeEmilyPlay
Why do so many drummers want to be the guitarist? Is it because you feel you don't get enough credit sometimes?

I started because I didn't always have access to a kit at school or during practices so I picked up the guitar.
daron malakian has said he's a drummer at heart, and sully erna is a drummer
Piano is my main instrument, yet I don't play piano in my band. Our rhythm guitarist does on a couple songs, he does a good job. I play lead guitar. I also can play bass, but our bassist is probably the best bassist anywhere close to our age in our area, so he is obviously better. Our drummer is really good, better than me, but sometimes I want to show him a beat, but he probably wouldn't listen since he's a lot better. What he does though is cool.
Yea. I play drums recreationally (I'm not great but I can hold my own) and it really pisses me off when the drummer in my band can't get a beat down. It's his only instrument. I'll even show him how to play a beat and he can't pick up on it. Same with my bassist.

Guitar is my main instrument by far but if a good band needed a bassist or drummer and asked me, I'd still go for it in a heartbeat
I hate my sig
Quote by SeeEmilyPlay

Guitars cost less that drum sets.
$100 for an acoustic, $20 at most for a tuner, then picks and strings all that.
$300 for a basic beginner drum set, and most dont come with cymbals so you have to buy cymbals, and sometimes cymbal stands as well. so if you're on a budget and want to learn an instrument then guitar makes more sense usually
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
I play guitar in my band, and it is my first instrument. But, I picked up drums also and I play them pretty seriously. My drummer hasn't been playing drums for much longer than me, but he comes up with some pretty creative beats which makes our songs unique. However, his fills are pretty mediocre, and I can confidently say that I can do fills much better than him.
Try not to interfere with what he's doing. Feel free to give him advice though, I'm sure he'd appreciate it.
Good luck.
Quote by JAHellraiser
Guitars cost less that drum sets.
$100 for an acoustic, $20 at most for a tuner, then picks and strings all that.
$300 for a basic beginner drum set, and most dont come with cymbals so you have to buy cymbals, and sometimes cymbal stands as well. so if you're on a budget and want to learn an instrument then guitar makes more sense usually

yeah, for beginer stuff sure...

...other than that though, you're out of your damn mind.
Well I played the drums at my cousins house when I was little and was surprisingly good for my age. Then we moved, I kept some of the techniques and rhythms down but have mostly made it wishful thinking to be a drummer.

It makes listening to music better than if I was only a guitarist too.
No means maybe
I'm 19, I started drumming when i was 4, and singing as soon as i started speaking. and took vocal lessons throughout grammar school. I've been drumming for ~15 years now and playing guitar for ~7 years. Drums are my original instrument but its more fun when your the center of attention .

and everything I've learned with guitar, I was able to transfer to the bass. I bought a couple books and I'm slowly teaching myself piano... I've been messin around with keys for about 6 months now.

For about three years i stopped seeing any improvement and my guitar technique/skill plateaued. Ever since I started learning piano, Ive become a much better lead player, and I feel like I'm just learning all over again because I can see and feel improvement every day.

its really wild how all the instruments you can play are all intertwined with eachother somehow.
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
Last edited by LPstudioWRz28 at Dec 13, 2009,
Quote by Drummerrrrr?
I started out playing drums about almost 4 years ago but I've picked up the guitar and pretty much anything else I can find in the past year as well. I play drums in my band but I'd love to be a rhythm guitarist so I could get up and enjoy the front of the stage. That being said, I do love to be able to sit back behind everyone and just go off

I think I'd hate drumming in a band with someone else who's a good drummer and is the main songwriter like Taylor Hawkins in the Foo-y's with Dave. I'd absolutely hate to be told how a song should be played all the way down to what fills should be done.

There's an interview where he (taylor) says even though Dave will be meticulous about the drums, his personality (dave's) makes it very easy to deal with.

I think I'd probably get frustrated, but that' just my personality. You could probably try to sit down with him like you mean to and say "Not trying to be pushy, I just can drum as well, so I'd jsut like you to consider my suggestions so we can make the best sounding stuff"
I can play just enough drums to know i need to stay the hell away from them if there is anyone else in hearing distance. I am the rythym guitarist in my band but bass is my first instrument, and i play a pretty big role in the bass lines of our music, at least i did in the beginning but i feel like our bassist is getting pretty comfortable within the band. so i leave him alone and let him do his own thing usually, unless i have a particular idea. Then ill show him and if he likes it better he keeps it if not he plays the way he wants.
I'm in two bands, and out of those two bands, only one person cannot play everyone else's instruments. I myself am mostly a drummer, but I write music for the other instruments as well, and everyone is always telling everyone else what to do.
Like punk the way it used to be? Deranged Youth Its like what Warped Tour should be!

Want to hear something mind-blowing? Pit O' Bodies Its like an amateur hypnotist plus the Spanish Inquisition!
Quote by pitobodies
I'm in two bands, and out of those two bands, only one person cannot play everyone else's instruments. I myself am mostly a drummer, but I write music for the other instruments as well, and everyone is always telling everyone else what to do.

Is that a good thing though?
My drummer and singer both play guitar as well, but we all stick to our instruments completely.