Hey

I'm sure there are tons of questions like this daily but I've got to make sure I make the right decision on this. I least want to be heading in the right direction before I go and try the amps out, so I know what I'm looking for.

Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of being able to shred away on full blast, I live in an apartment with many families and children that need to sleep at night.

So, I'm looking for a good amp that will allow me to get a good tone on heavy stuff without having to be super loud. Some half decent cleans wouldn't go amiss but the heavier tone is my priority.

A headphone jack would be handy so I could play at night.

Price limit: Something reasonably priced, I won't put an exact figure on it but obviously this is a practice amp so I don't feel the need to be going crazy.

Regards.
You might try a Vox VT15 - modeling amp with headphone jack (i'm pretty sure) and a knob that lowers the amount of wattage going to your amp (i forget the name, sorry), allowing you to really turn up the volume and get a nice overdrive without it actually getting louder, if that makes sense. it's late. they're rather inexpensive, too.

Here's a link: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Vox-Valvetronix-VT15-15W-1x8-Guitar-Combo-Amp-105156533-i1428846.gc
Last edited by Helicopters! at Dec 10, 2009,
Here's an idea, which is what I do (in my apartment)....Get a POD. If you don't know what it is just go to musiciansfriend.com and look it up.

Get some decent headphones with it. You can get any tone in the world with it. Tons of effects and amp models.

But, if you must have an actual amp it's going to be hard to get a good heavy tone out of a 6 or 8" speaker especially at a low volume.

God thing about a POD (or something similar) is that you can use it for recording on your computer and even use it as an effects unit on any amp you'd get in the future.

Just an idea, but it's the best thing I've come along in many years.
blackstar HT-5 or peavey valveking 112. both are tube amps and good values, if you want an amp that you can crank to get the max amount of tone and play at low volumes these two would be great. I would say for heavy sounds go with the blackstar. On the blackstar there is an ISF knob that can give you a marshall sound or mesa sound and both sound great.

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
The Vox isn't all bad, but I've had some disappointing experiences with the VT -series. First of all, you can't dig very heavy tones out of it - maybe some old 80's metal, but no Arch Enemy or such. Second, they sound pretty muddy. But they're not total garbage - the power attenuator is very handy and nice, and the versatility is hard to beat for the price.

The Roland Cube series is a pretty good option imo. Just make sure that you pick one that has a 3-band EQ instead of just a tone control. The Micro Cube RX at least has that, and it's a pretty good amp despite being small.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
Get a Vypyr 30 if you don't want to spend alot of money or a Vypyr Tube 60 if you want to spend a bit more. Just be aware that while you may be able to get a pretty heavy tone out of it, the headphones are gonna take alot of the thump away. There's really no way to get around it.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Yeah headphones are not an ideal situation but its better than not being able to play at all. Sometimes I get home from work in the early hours and I want to play, thats when most of my free time is.

Even in more sociable hours I doubt I'll be ripping it up, I'll still have to keep the volume within reason.
Quote by Manos de Piedra
Yeah headphones are not an ideal situation but its better than not being able to play at all. Sometimes I get home from work in the early hours and I want to play, thats when most of my free time is.

Even in more sociable hours I doubt I'll be ripping it up, I'll still have to keep the volume within reason.

Agreed. Sometimes I don't get home from work until after midnight and wish I had a headphone amp. The Vypyr 30 will be great if your never gonna turn it up very much.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by iceh88
blackstar HT-5 or peavey valveking 112. both are tube amps and good values, if you want an amp that you can crank to get the max amount of tone and play at low volumes these two would be great. I would say for heavy sounds go with the blackstar. On the blackstar there is an ISF knob that can give you a marshall sound or mesa sound and both sound great.

Have you played the Valveking at low volumes? It sounds like shit.

TS, try a Vypyr. Those things are great, and have a headphone jack.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
Quote by iceh88

This entire statement is wrong, it is clear that you have NEVER played either of these amps.

I don't often bring my Blackstar above 2 when others are home or at night, it's still bloody loud. The Valveking is at least twice the volume of the HT-5 so you won't be able to crank that either. Also the ISF knob is effective to change voicing but it never sounds like Mesa, and anyone buying this amp for metal will be disappointed. It's a great amp but without a OD and EQ pedals it's metal tone is lackluster.

People come to the forum asking for advice from others before spending a great deal of money, don't post advice if you don't know what your talking about.

Now TS we need to know your gear budget otherwise we're all just guessing. If your really concerned about volume then get a decent modelling amp like a Line 6 Flextone or a Peavey Vypyr as i think they both have headphones outs. However i suggest just getting a nice tube amp that you like. These some misconception that theres no use for a tube amp if you can't crank it but that is only in the case of amps like some amps like Plexi style amps, most metal amps will still sound good with the volume at 1, not as good as on 4 or 5 but still good.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...