To be frank, I'm clueless. I need a power amp to go between my PODxt pro and Marshall 1960A cab. The speakers are rated at 300 RMS. Is that per speaker so I can have 4 times that? And are tube amp watts and solid state watts comparable? I don't know. Basically, suggest me a power amp that would provide sufficient volume for shows without clipping and blowing my speakers. Your help is much appreciated.
Tube watts and solid state watts are different in terms of perceived output. Watt for watt, a tube amp will sound louder.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
Quote by Generalpwnt
Tube watts and solid state watts are different in terms of perceived output. Watt for watt, a tube amp will sound louder.

Generally.

Ultimately the loudness perceived by a given wattage is affected by the amp's voicing, the speaker's sensitivity and also the way the amp is rated (RMS ratings are an average, and some companies rate more conservatively then others). Solid state vs tube is also a factor, and related to voicing, but some SS amps will be perceived as being louder then some tube amps of the same, or of a close rating.

Also, because doubling your wattage doesn't double your volume, a lot of those really high wattage SS amps are just gaining enough headroom to ensure no clipping at a volume that is comparable to a 100/120/150W tube amp. Even a 300W tube amp wouldn't be that much louder than a 100W amp, it just wouldn't get any power amp break up.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Well you Marshall cab has 4 75w speakers so it adds up to 300w RMS, this means how many watts of power your cab can handle without the risk of blowing speakers.

I suggest getting the Mesa Boogie 50/50 power amp, 50 watts is plenty for shows.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Quote by alexgepgepgep
To be frank, I'm clueless. I need a power amp to go between my PODxt pro and Marshall 1960A cab. The speakers are rated at 300 RMS. Is that per speaker so I can have 4 times that? And are tube amp watts and solid state watts comparable? I don't know. Basically, suggest me a power amp that would provide sufficient volume for shows without clipping and blowing my speakers. Your help is much appreciated.

the 300 watt rms figure is the peak output for the cab as a single entity. a 1200 watt cab would be absolutely ridiculous and unnecessary.

and each g12t75 has 75 watts

volume is volume no matter how you slice it. like the poster above me mentioned, it's percieved volume. a 5 watt tube amp gives the impression it is louder than a 5 watt ss amp, but in reality its not.

it's kind of like those special whistles you put on your car to keep the animals away when driving on the highway. humans cannot hear them, but animals can pick up the frequencies they emit

it takes a hell of a lot to get a single 412 to the point where the speakers are breaking up. if you can find a power amp that will drive a 1960 to the point where the speakers are breaking up, i would applaud you

and the peavey 50/50 poweramp is supposed to be cheap and good
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
Last edited by the boogieman at Dec 10, 2009,