Hello everyone,

I was thinking about buying a Recording Software for recording my guitar, I really need it to have good customizable simulation amps. And I also want it to include some sort of drum program to add on to the tracks. Does anyone know any good programs?

thanks
JamVox.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
any interface , something that run between your guitar and computer..should have amp, effect simulations etc.. I use Line 6 Gear box.. i like it.

But I use a seperate program that focus solely on mixing. I use Magix Music studio.. bought it at a best buy for 60 bucks.. can't complain.

And I also run my guitar/mics through a mixing board before I go to the interface.. that definitely will make your recordings sound alot ****in clearer.
budget will def. help us give you ideas

i have pro tools LE with Mbox2...total for around the $500 range
tascam us122 (comes with Cubase LE) -- $200
Behringer 4 track mixer -- $60
CAD GXL2400 Condenser Mic -- $80

I've recorded several tracks. It's not studio quality, but it's DAMN good for home recording and you can get a pretty good mix down. As far as drum programs... i'm at a loss... fruity loops?
My budget is under $100. I already have a guitar cable that hooks up to the microphone plug in the cumputer.
Oh boy...ehehhe IMO your going to atleast need an external interface to replace the generic soundcard...Start saving.
If you just want to get the feel of recording and multi-tracking, why not download Audacity? It doesn't have amp simulation but you may find other software that does and can be used at the same time. I use a MFX unit which does all the sound stuff first but that can cost a fair bit if you want quality. For backing drums and bass, there's worse than Fruity Loops but the current version is not cheap. Maybe find an older version being sold off?
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by NEX44
My budget is under $100. I already have a guitar cable that hooks up to the microphone plug in the cumputer.

Get rid of that cable. That is a real fast way to do something stupid to your sound card (I blew out my mic input that way :p)
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by muckypup
Just download Reaper, Nick Crow's 7170, Kefir and Ryan's impulses pack! Its all free and is all awesome.

God damn man, I never thought I'd see you hand out the best advice in a thread

Quite a lot of the posts here are the fast way to bad tone and sad times.

OP, I'd recommend you get an interface and Reaper.
Where do you find the Kefir and Ryan's impulses pack? i searched on google and couldnt find it
Quote by muckypup
Just download Reaper, Nick Crow's 7170, Kefir and Ryan's impulses pack! Its all free and is all awesome.

This, best advice so far, and free is always better, unless you try to sell your music, then you might run into legal issues. You can use Reaper for free as long as you dont intend to make a profit from using it, if you do then you have to buy it.

EDIT: Ryan's impluse pack is somewhere in the Tone Testing thread, but contact CatharsisStudio to get the link, I cant seem to find it atm.
Last edited by ethan_hanus at Dec 11, 2009,
Quote by NEX44
Where do you find the Kefir and Ryan's impulses pack? i searched on google and couldnt find it

To find Kefir just google it, you should be able to find it easy, and to get Ryan's impulses, go to the "UG's Official Guide to VST Amp Simulation!" Thread and you'll be able to download the pack from there. They are called "catharsis-awesometime-fredman" and should be on that thread still.
A couple questions. First of all I have seen Reaper mentioned as free many many times on here, but I am just wondering where I can get a legit copy for free because on the website it says that after 30 days you have to pay for it?

Also, I am buying an interface to plug my mic in, I was wondering if anyone has any experience using interfaces with Audacity, or if it is even possible to do so?

Thanks
Quote by serdy
A couple questions. First of all I have seen Reaper mentioned as free many many times on here, but I am just wondering where I can get a legit copy for free because on the website it says that after 30 days you have to pay for it?

You're meant to pay for it, it continues to work after the 30 days even if you don't.
Quote by serdy

Also, I am buying an interface to plug my mic in, I was wondering if anyone has any experience using interfaces with Audacity, or if it is even possible to do so?

Thanks

There is no such thing as a "legit" copy for free.

Quote by TheDriller
There is no such thing as a "legit" copy for free.

Well I would say downloading it from their website would be considered legit, and free. No?
Quote by muckypup

Yesyesyes, Reaper is a GREAT starting point.
Quote by serdy

which interface?

my US-122 works well with audacity...
Quote by theGlitch
which interface?

my US-122 works well with audacity...

Well I dont have one yet, but I was just looking at a M-Audio Fast Track, or something pretty basic that I can plug a mic into.

I have a bit of a separate question though, if it can be answered here. If I was to get an M-Audio Fast Track for example, it appears to have inputs for both a microphone and guitar. Now, I am a complete newb when it comes to this stuff, so I am a little confused as to why you would plug your guitar into the audio interface, when I thought it was best to play the guitar through your amp, into a mic (sm-57 for example) which would be plugged into the audio interface?

Any help on that question would be appreciated, thanks.
Quote by serdy
Well I would say downloading it from their website would be considered legit, and free. No?

yeah, so why are you asking for a different "free" copy?

although you are encouraged to buy a license, the program runs unrestricted beyond the 30day "trial", so effectively its free to use