So, I've been wanting a processor for some time now, as to get all my effect goodness all in one purchase, but I don't want to only drop a little money for a bad one. At the same time, I don't have 400+ bucks to spend on a really good one.

So then the thought came to mind. "Buy pedals! You can buy them as you go without having to drop a bunch of money at once!"

But, I started thinking, there has to be pros and cons to each. So thats what I'm here asking. What are some good and bad things about each, and what do you recommend?

I'd probably start with just a Distortion, and Phaser or Flanger, but I'd love to keep getting more as time passed, unless a processor is more worth the money.

Please help
Quote by Grindar
Said "mmmmgrbllll?", and proceed to fornicate with the omelets.

Quote by magnus_maximus
I don't know whether to laugh, cry or ejaculate.
You have a Spider III. New amp before anything, those can't do pedals or processors at all.
With pedals you can build your own sound, if you have a chorus on a processor that you like and a reverb that you hate, you're stuck with it. With pedals you can choose each individual sound to your liking.
Main Gear:

ESP Eclipse CTM I
Dean 'Shards' Razorback
Chapman Guitars ML-1
Ibanez AEL40SE Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Small Clone
Last edited by Birchall17 at Dec 10, 2009,
+1 to both of the above and i believe this thread has been done before ....

Vs threads are somewhat frowned upon here too ... just a heads up ...
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

Quote by Tatsumaru
+1 to both of the above and i believe this thread has been done before ....

Vs threads are somewhat frowned upon here too ... just a heads up ...

This isn't a versus thread....

This is what is better for HIM.
Don't worry about pedals or racks with a spider. Drop that 400 on a new amp.
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
Quote by Jerry.thewise
You have a Spider III. New amp before anything, those can't do pedals or processors at all.

This. Modeling amps don't react well to pedals because the software expects a clean, unmodified guitar signal as it's input. If you feed it something else, chances are it won't sound good.
Quote by westdyolf
This isn't a versus thread....

This is what is better for HIM.
Don't worry about pedals or racks with a spider. Drop that 400 on a new amp.

He picked a bad title for the thread is all im saying ....
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

Quote by Tatsumaru

Yeah, but it's pretty clear from the thread content that this isn't a spam/fight thread, it's one where he's trying to make a decision.

Cheap route for effects, just to dabble in them, is a Zoom processor. You can get them for around $50 and they have a lot of different effects packed into them, some of which are actually decent. Individual pedals can be quite an investment; of course, there's always the used market *wink wink*
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Dec 10, 2009,
Doesn't your amp have all that built in? Buying pedals and building a pedal board can add up in cost fast. But separate pedals and a decent amp makes for a nice platform for playing. My Super Champ XD is the first amp I've found that rivals my pedalboard/tube amp for tone , but lacks flexibility for making complicated FX switching and combinations.

Multifx are good for building presets for switching between vastly different tones quickly. Some have drum machines and loopers and make great practice tools. You're going to need to decide what you are looking for in features. But if you are unsatisfied with what you amp offers then that's the best place to start with a change.
Quote by Tatsumaru

Why are you a forum cop? It's not cool.
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
I love the effects my amp has. Is there any way I can switch my physical amp channels by pedal? That'd be PERFECT.
Quote by Grindar
Said "mmmmgrbllll?", and proceed to fornicate with the omelets.

Quote by magnus_maximus
I don't know whether to laugh, cry or ejaculate.