I've been playing electric guitar for a year but I don't really know about the pickup selection. Mine's a H/S/S config with 5 way selector. I know the bridge pickup is more for lead and neck is for rhythm but can anyone explain more details?
uuhhh as far as I know the Neck is for the lead and the bridge for the rythm...

but your choice of them depends on the style you want to play say EMG for metal and so on
Just try all the different positions with different kinds of sounds, you'll hear the differences yourself... there are no rules in the matter, just play with what YOU think sounds good <:
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
Again its all down to preference, you tend to get a darker sound from the neck, but warmer. From the bridge you get a more crisp clear tone. I tend to break the rules, i mostly use the bridge for rhythm when playing metal, but sometimes i like the dark nastyness of the neck to create atmosphere, or fill out the bands sound. When playing lead again most shredders tend to use the neck because you get clearer sounding high speed runs, dont know the science behind that but you can hear the notes better when doing runs on neck pickup, i however rarely use neck for lead because i like how my guitar wails when using the bridge for lead tones and i can get a pretty clear sound when doing runs anyway. As always its preference

For a general idea.

Bridge Rhythm = Clearer, crisper, more bite and grunt.
Neck Rhythm = Warmer, Darker, sometimes "muddier"
Bridge Lead = Wailing, Clear, Crisp.
Neck Lead = More note definition when shredding, warmer, that ooh ooh ooh ooh sound when playing fast

Edit : had to edit it i had Bridge Neck in there instead of Neck Rhythm
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
Last edited by Talentless at Dec 10, 2009,
Quote by Talentless

Bridge Rhythm = Clearer, crisper, more bite and grunt.
Bridge Neck = Warmer, Darker, sometimes "muddier"
Bridge Lead = Wailing, Clear, Crisp.
Neck Lead = More note definition when shredding, warmer, that ooh ooh ooh ooh sound when playing fast

This.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
It's also worth noticing, that GENERALLY (If you have great amp, distortion and pickup, ignore this) single pickups don't work very well with distortion, unless you REALLY crank the gain down....the humbucker does wonders though
Quote by Juninho2v
It's also worth noticing, that GENERALLY (If you have great amp, distortion and pickup, ignore this) single pickups don't work very well with distortion, unless you REALLY crank the gain down....the humbucker does wonders though

if you have noiseless single coils you can really overdrive them