I am selling my first guitar, an Epiphone SG Special. I have had it for 2 years and the neck is bowed a bit. Before I sell it, I want to adjust the truss rode. When I took off the cover on the headstock, I was expecting to see a nut or something...
I saw a hollow medal rod instead... WDF? There is no way to adjust it? IT is a smooth bore medal tube... omg
tips?
Hmm. Try taking the neck off, the adjuster might be at the pickup end of the neck, like some Fenders.
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunatly, it kills all of its pupils.
Hollow metal rod? That's normal mate, you just use an allen key on it.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
yeah that is a trust rod just a rod, and it isn't a bolt on neck like a fender so no way to take it off
Guitars
Prs Custom 24
Fender Jaguar
Gibson Les paul standard dc
Ibanez as71

Amps
Peavey xxx
Crate v-32h/cab

Effects
Dimebag wah
carbon copy
evh phase
blackstart ht-duel
holy grail plus
electric mistress stereo
dd-20
Quote by joey arce
yeah that is a trust rod just a rod, and it isn't a bolt on neck like a fender so no way to take it off
erm, I'm 95% sure the special is a bolt-on.

Anyways, you use an allen key to adjust the truss rod.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
I have an acoustic where the part of the rod that's fit for an allen wrench is down the shaft a little ways, so the very end of the rod may not look like it takes an allen wrench.
1. no you dont take off the neck.

2. it's either adjusted with an allen wrench inserted into the nut located in the hole.

or

3. it's a bullet rod and you use a ratchet type tool.

4. dont adjust the "rod" until you measure the relief. and know which way you're turning and how much.

examples:
http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/trussadjust.htm
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Dec 10, 2009,
You need an allen key.

Also I don't think you'll be able to sell that guitar for even 30$.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
honestly, if you don't even know what a truss rod is supposed to look like, you probably shouldn't be adjusting it yourself.
Thanks everybody for your input. I blew into it, and there was sawdust covering part of the hole, so it looked like it was smooth bore. It was indeed turnable by an allan key. I read bit about truss rods and felt comfortable doing it myself. I measured the relief and then adjusted it. I know have a perfectly straight neck on a very cheap guitar.
Here in Atlanta, there is a large market for cheap guitars. I am selling it on craigslist $10 less than any guitar on there.

The intonation still sucks though...

Merry Christmas all
Quote by Nate.K
I know[sic] have a perfectly straight neck on a very cheap guitar.

Dude, perfectly straight isn't always ideal for a guitar neck. A little bow is good.
Listen to my songs on my profile pretty please

Quote by SamhainGrim
I wish a had a vagina to go with my penis...:[
Quote by Nate.K
Thanks everybody for your input. I blew into it, and there was sawdust covering part of the hole, so it looked like it was smooth bore. It was indeed turnable by an allan key. I read bit about truss rods and felt comfortable doing it myself. I measured the relief and then adjusted it. I know have a perfectly straight neck on a very cheap guitar.
Here in Atlanta, there is a large market for cheap guitars. I am selling it on craigslist $10 less than any guitar on there.

The intonation still sucks though...

Merry Christmas all
You should go ahead and set the intonation then.

It's definitely not going to be any harder than adjusting the truss rod, but it might take you a little longer.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.