I have had a beginner guitar for a year and a half now. It was about 150 dollars. Anyway, I wanted to get a new guitar for Christmas. Do you think this epiphone sg guitar is worth it for the extra money compared to the cheaper ones? The other epi sg's are about 170, and this one is 350.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-G400-SG-Electric-Guitar?sku=518291
Angus = god
It's still a beginners guitar. If I were you I'd keep saving and, if an SG is what you want, go for a Gibson. I don't really like those G-400.

Might ask over at Electric Guitar though, you'll get more/better responses.
I LOVE G-400's, they're really great guitars, especially for the price

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
i agree g400's are very good guitars, if you get one, make sure you get it setup properly though, as epiphone seem to forget this.
I like mine but I have to warn you:

It's very neck-heavy, makes it a bit difficult to play standing up

The electronics are shoddy and the knobs are very low-quality. I chipped one of my knobs and 1 of them is completely loose. The pickup selector also has its faults. Sometimes I have to twiddle around with my pickup selector knob to get the pickup to work.
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Look for something else. Preferably a different brand. Tokai are good, just save the extra.

Epiphone really are shite.
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunatly, it kills all of its pupils.
Quote by richard_edwards
Look for something else. Preferably a different brand. Tokai are good, just save the extra.

Epiphone really are shite.

TS: The G-400 is a great guitar for the price. I've been playing one for about 5 years now and I've never had a problem with mine.
your better off saving a little more and get what you really want, trust me, i was about to get a G-400, i waited 6 months, bada bim bada boom, now i have a gibson sg standard. its totally worth it, trust me
I own a Gibson SG Standard
And I am officialy recognized as an SG commando

Gibson 2009 SG Standard --> Peavey Classic 50 2x12

RIP Lester William Polsfuss aka Les Paul 1915-2009
RIP Stephen Ray Vaughan aka SRV 1954-1990
The 400 is going to be way better than the cheaper epi models. But if your gonna buy one go to a big place that has several. A friend wanted a SG we went to sam ash they had about 10 I think. Only 3 were worth buying. The other 7 were crap. So you need to play the one your buying.

And yea its fairly standard for epis rather quickly to have issues with those 3 way gibson style selector switches, and for the input jacks to come loose, or the strap stud screws to come out.
Quote by AC/DC4EVA
your better off saving a little more and get what you really want, trust me, i was about to get a G-400, i waited 6 months, bada bim bada boom, now i have a gibson sg standard. its totally worth it, trust me

I liked the way the g-400 looks because it has the pickups angus uses, and it looks just like what he uses. From the responses it is mixed between great guitar, and unreliable. I really can't get a gibson though, because they are just way to expensive for me.
Angus = god
Quote by El3ment380
I liked the way the g-400 looks because it has the pickups angus uses, and it looks just like what he uses. From the responses it is mixed between great guitar, and unreliable. I really can't get a gibson though, because they are just way to expensive for me.

Honestly I would never buy a Gibson unless it was a vintage one. Modern Gibsons are extremely overpriced and the companies QC has pretty much gone in the toilet - I've played some Gibbys that felt like cheap starter guitars and had to look at the headstock just to make sure it was actually a Gibson.
Quote by El3ment380

i know exactly how you feel, just go out and play both, you'll know it worth it. if you really cant, go in the guitar forum and ask in the sg owners group, they know about every sg ever existent

Quote by i_am_metalhead
Honestly I would never buy a Gibson unless it was a vintage one. Modern Gibsons are extremely overpriced and the companies QC has pretty much gone in the toilet - I've played some Gibbys that felt like cheap starter guitars and had to look at the headstock just to make sure it was actually a Gibson.

not if you know how to get a good deal. use the 3 steps to buying a gibson
1)dont buy from gibson.com (duh)
2) dont buy from GC or MF of music123, or any of those
3) buy from a little local shops that get them straight from nashville, i got mine 400 dollars cheaper

Quote by AC/DC4EVA
3) buy from a little local shops that get them straight from nashville, i got mine 400 dollars cheaper

Even if you got $400, the vast majority of Gibson products would still be ridiculously overpriced.
Quote by AC/DC4EVA

I completely disagree with this post. Being someone that works at a major music retailer I can tell you we get our gibbys right from Nashville. I can only assume MF and GC do as well. And the larger the store, the more buying power that store/corp has and the lower they can sell the gear for.

Black friday and 20% off days are great days to buy.
Take a worn cherry SG. $699.99 list and sells for $560 those days.
Not bad for a gibson. people dog on the worn cherry series, but I find the neck a lot more comfortable than the finished ones.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
i had a warn cherry sg-400 gotta say i loved it kinda sad i sold it but needed the cash for my jackson
Quote by gregs1020
I completely disagree with this post. Being someone that works at a major music retailer I can tell you we get our gibbys right from Nashville. I can only assume MF and GC do as well.

i didnt mean quality, i meant price-wise. Im sure they get it from nashville, but it was mucho cheaper than GC or MF

Quote by AC/DC4EVA
i didnt mean quality, i meant price-wise. Im sure they get it from nashville, but it was mucho cheaper than GC or MF

if you did that's great.

what did you pay, for what exactly?

i just disagree with that being the best way to go about it, and listed why.
Quote by gregs1020
if you did that's great.

what did you pay, for what exactly?

i just disagree with that being the best way to go about it, and listed why.

in april, MF and GC had them for 1600, my local shop got it for 1200.

Quote by AC/DC4EVA
in april, MF and GC had them for 1600, my local shop got it for 1200.

Thats funny - I just pulled out an MF catalog from last spring and they were listed for $1399.

Also they are $1199 on MF right now. If you're story's true and you had waited another 7 months you could have got one for $800.
i just got a gibby SG 2 or 3 weeks ago, and i love it. i bought it used and it was definitely worth it, i'd suggest you do the same, i did play a few epiphone sgs, but they felt a bit cheap. my gibbo feels great, and i agree with the dude who said worn necks feel better, i could've gotten a new standard but i wanted a worn neck
I've seen standards go for $1200. That's a good deal, but nothing a big store wouldn't do. It's good to support the local shops, that deserves to be said.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Thats funny - I just pulled out an MF catalog from last spring and they were listed for $1399.

Also they are $1199 on MF right now. If you're story's true and you had waited another 7 months you could have got one for $800.

are you sure? i could swear i saw them for 1600, and yes i could have waited longer, but how was i supposed to know that they would go down? and i didnt pay for it all myself, my family helped out for my bday...cant really move around my bday

Quote by gregs1020!
It's good to support the local shops, that deserves to be said.

agreed

Last edited by AC/DC4EVA at Dec 10, 2009,
Quote by Tackleberry
you need to play the one your buying.

^That
And TS: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Vintage-G400-Electric-Guitar?sku=518669
Cheaper, but higher quality, bc you are paying for the guitar, and not the shiny finish. Silk finishes look much nicer anyway imho, and it's a quality guitar.
Listen to my songs on my profile pretty please

Quote by SamhainGrim
I wish a had a vagina to go with my penis...:[
Quote by AC/DC4EVA
are you sure? i could swear i saw them for 1600, and yes i could have waited longer, but how was i supposed to know that they would go down? and i didnt pay for it all myself, my family helped out for my bday...cant really move around my bday

What do you mean you can't move your birthday!?? I thought you could!?

Quote by catrolean
^That
And TS: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Vintage-G400-Electric-Guitar?sku=518669
Cheaper, but higher quality, bc you are paying for the guitar, and not the shiny finish. Silk finishes look much nicer anyway imho, and it's a quality guitar.

Wow, that cherry finish does look great, and it's 50 bucks cheaper. Thanks! I think I'll look into that one instead
Angus = god
Quote by i_am_metalhead
What do you mean you can't move your birthday!?? I thought you could!?

I played one the other day, and it was brilliant, it competes with my same value Deans brilliantly.

I seriously considered buying one, and i've been through 20 different guitars (including a $1200 Gibson) since i started 10 years ago. And if people whinge about the build quality, take 5 minutes to learn how to solder, and $20 to buy a soldering iron.
Horseness is the whatness of allhorse.
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
Quote by HellBoy9393
I like mine but I have to warn you:

It's very neck-heavy, makes it a bit difficult to play standing up

The electronics are shoddy and the knobs are very low-quality. I chipped one of my knobs and 1 of them is completely loose. The pickup selector also has its faults. Sometimes I have to twiddle around with my pickup selector knob to get the pickup to work.

This is an issue with all SGs.

As for the electronics. If you're buying a cheapie guitar, you're probably expecting to swap them out anyways. Same with the pick ups. (I'd swap out the pick ups in most modern day Gibsons if I was getting one, anyways. )

Go for it TS, the G-400 (And the vintage) are good guitars for the money.
speaking of which I have an sg400 cherry finish but uh whats a good pick up to swap it out with i was wondering if a sd like the blackout version would fit or sound good? i like that style like a clean flat design or like the emg89 ?

but yea about the topic i love my sg i was obsessed with ls's especially aspen white custom with trap inlay and vintage bindings but w.e i love my sg
Quote by El3ment380
Wow, that cherry finish does look great, and it's 50 bucks cheaper. Thanks! I think I'll look into that one instead

It looks even better in RL. No pictures even compare, seriously.
Listen to my songs on my profile pretty please

Quote by SamhainGrim
I wish a had a vagina to go with my penis...:[
id say save a litte extra cash and find a used gibson sg special faded of ebay ive played this guitar multiple times and i love it. the worn neck is realy smooth and very comfortable to play. u can find them used for about $550 so uf u can manage that price definitely get the gibson