Page 1 of 2
I have a Squier Fender Strat. I got it for my 13th Birthday. I know it's a knock off kind of thing for people who can't afford 3,000$ guitars but is it looked down on?
who cares? if you like it, thats all that matters. I've had a couple of squiers in the past that were great guitars.

Not at all. I play a Squier P-Bass and it's an awesome bass. The tone is basically the same as a Mexican Fender, just half the price.

Some Squiers are awful, but the majority are pretty decent after a good set up and restring.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

The player is way more important than the guitar.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Squiers are fantastic guitars. Anyone who 'looks down' on you are obviously shallow arseholes.
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunatly, it kills all of its pupils.
Alright, thanks guys. I just told my friend I had a Squier and he laughed. I just wasn't sure what to think. Thanks.
I play an '88 Squier Strat, and it's a terrific guitar. The neck is smooth and fast, and the pickups are quite good. I think it's like any guitar--if it feels right and you like the sound, who cares what anyone else thinks.

splatt
Yeah squiers are fine. To be honest when you start guitar all you really need it to do is play. That's why i hate it when people flame MGs and Line 6, everyone starts somewhere.
Gibson SG Standard, Gibson SG 60s tribute, Edwards Les Paul, Fender Telecaster, Epiphone SG Custom
Quote by hardrockerdave9
Yeah squiers are fine. To be honest when you start guitar all you really need it to do is play. That's why i hate it when people flame MGs and Line 6, everyone starts somewhere.
People only flame Line 6 Spiders and MG's because there is better for the money.

Everybody starts somewhere, but as a beginner would you rather have a Roland Cube/Peavey Vypyr or a MG/Line 6 Spider?
Quote by Kivo69
Alright, thanks guys. I just told my friend I had a Squier and he laughed. I just wasn't sure what to think. Thanks.

Your friend is a douche and its more than likely he doesn't know a god damn thing about guitars, but likes to make people feel inferior. Next time you talk to him tell him its a 1980s Japanese made squier, and to go f*** himself.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
^^honestly, i'd rather have an mg or a spider than a cube. i actually think i'd rather have the mg than anything else of this list to start off, i don't like modeling amps and never have.

and squiers are fine, most people start with them. it might not sound good enough for gigs if you play a lot, but even then it depends on the model and how you play. it's very possible to make it sound good
Nothing wrong with Squiers. I have played and gigged the hell out of my 2 for over 3 years now without a hitch.
I cannot stand Squiers. I hate the action, the cheapness and the name. What the hell is Squier? What dyslexic ballbag named it that?

I mean fair enough, for a first guitar, it's the mostly widely marketed, and cheapest 1st hand. But for a fraction more, you could have a Dean, Washburn, Epiphone, Tokai and a hell of a lot of gear 2nd hand. I got a factory reject VMNT for $80, and it only required some soldering. And most people i know who started with Squiers quit. It is a bad, bad example of a guitar, which unhappily is the most common.

Plus i got my Fender Strat for $200. Perfect condition. Nyah.
Horseness is the whatness of allhorse.
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
Quote by eyebanez333
who cares?

This
Quote by UraniYum
I cannot stand Squiers. I hate the action, the cheapness and the name. What the hell is Squier? What dyslexic ballbag named it that?

I mean fair enough, for a first guitar, it's the mostly widely marketed, and cheapest 1st hand. But for a fraction more, you could have a Dean, Washburn, Epiphone, Tokai and a hell of a lot of gear 2nd hand. I got a factory reject VMNT for $80, and it only required some soldering. And most people i know who started with Squiers quit. It is a bad, bad example of a guitar, which unhappily is the most common.

A) anyone who cannot set their own action on their guitar is ****ing retarded.

B) Most n00bs don't buy second hand or B stock gear.

C) anecdotal evidence is not evidence. Just because 'most people who started with Squiers quit' does not mean that Squier makes bad guitars.
Quote by UraniYum

This is BS, and you are just like his friend that ran his mouth with no clue what he's talking about.

First off, the main issue with squiers is the same as with MIM strats like yours; quality control. This means that they vary widely from one to the other. You can find Squiers that blow MIMs out of the water and vice versa. Secondly, the other big issue with Squiers is the set-up; they rarely are set-up anywhere near properly and most beginners don't notice or do anything about it. I used to have a squier and once I learned to lower the action and set-up the intonation properly it was a damn nice guitar. Lastly, most squiers are around $100 new, and $60-$80 used, for that price you can't get anything near the quality. Pick up a $100 Epiphone like an LP Special II and it will be 100 times worse than any squier.

And this is without even mentioning the MIJ Squiers that in a lot of cases are superior to American strats, after a pickup swap... Moral of the story, you have no clue what you are talking about and are just putting down people's gear for your own gratification.

Edit: Also big +1s to Goolz's 3 points.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Dec 10, 2009,
Quote by UraniYum
And most people i know who started with Squiers quit.

That doesn't mean it's an international statistic.
Most guitars have atleast the potential to be amazing instruments. If you had been playing for 10 years and are still on that first squire, then maybe the odd look would be a bit more fitting, but hey ive been playing for 5 years and only have 2?

Really, just "shut up and play yer guitar"
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
If you had been playing for 10 years and are still on that first squire, then maybe the odd look would be a bit more fitting.

Unless your Squier is a Japanese one from the 80s, which you've thrown new pickups, tuners, and maybe a Warmoth neck onto... In which case you have an American Strat killer.

Edit: Also, sigged. ^
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I love my Squiers, that's right pural Squiers. I liked my first one so much instead of buying a MIM Tele and SCN Pickups, I bought a Squier version and threw the same pick ups on that. Now, I have a $280 Telecaster comparable (not equal, comparable) with an American Standard Tele.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
They are cheap, well built guitars for modding. I've got a Fender Starcaster (Equiv of a Squire Strat) sitting in my room. It plays well and looks freaking sweet (A really cool rose red burst). I've got some plans to get some new pickups in that bad boy and use it for gigging.

I did the same thing with my Epiphone Dot Studio. I took and swapped out the pickups for a Gibson Dirty Fingers (Which I got for $50) and a Seymore Duncan Jazz pickup. Took it from a cheap guitar that was built well with meh tone to a cheap guitar that was built well, plays well and sounds like angels having sex.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Alot of squiers are pretty damn amazing.

Most of the classic vibe, affinity (If you can find a really sweet one.) and vintage mod squiers i'd take over an MIM fender. I played an affinity tele a while ago i almost walked out with but was short on cash. The jagmaster and duo sonic i plan to buy some day.

Astonishing quality for the money. And I say this as a person with two MIM fenders and a CIJ, my mim teles pretty amazing though, but it's an old one, much better quality than modern MIMs.

The squier 51 was an utter legend, why they discontinued it is beyond me, £100 when they first came to the stores, they sell for double that on ebay. I hate myself for not saving to get one, the absoloute perfect modding guitar.

Don't let anyone laugh at you for having a squier. They don't know what they're on about.
Quote by beckyjc
Don't let anyone laugh at you for having a squier. They don't know what they're on about.

This is the British way of saying it... If you're in the States this translates:

"Punch that mother****er in the face!"
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
the majority of classic vibe strats blow MIM strats out the water, not MIA they just miss that something that you only get with a MIA and also i think they stopped production of the squier 51 because they were probably close to trading at a loss, nice guitars though. Squiers ain't as bad as people make them out to be especially the higher end ones, remember your guitar will only sound as good as you play
Quote by Pr0gNut
How dare you get all philosophical with logic and reasoning! This UG Sir,where one must blindly yell out opinions then viciously attack anyone who disagrees with said opinions.
There are the absolutely horrible $100 Squiers, and then theres the more expensive but better Squiers. I've had a mid-'90s Squier Affinity Strat for years that I'm almost done overhauling completely. I've spent like twice as much as the guitar was originally worth, but it has turned out to be an amazing guitar. Wouldn't trade it for a Fender American Standard to save my life.
Seriously some Sqiuers are amazing. I love mine, and I prefer it to some real Fenders I have played.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
i have a squier and it`s basicly the only one i`ve ever liked, it`s a 83 HM3 or something like that, has a wicked crackle paint job and a floyd rose bridge, it`s one bad ass squier
no man!!! no way those are awesome!!! awesome guitars!!

im a squier fan and believe me those are the best strat copies.. id say "cheap strats" not copies as it's the same fender...

but tobe honest. if you get one of those good squiers it'll blow your mind as how awesome it is!!!
really
hmm and im actually planning to become famous :p and when i get... ima be playing some squiers on purpose!! to prove their awsomeness
Tell your friend to go f$%k himself, or better yet, care about your chops more than the label on your headstock so you can school his sorry ass.
I tried the vintage tele once in a guitar center and oh my god I was surprised, and not only the sound was good, the quality of the guitar itself was good enough to compete with a MIM; no sharp edges and the action was perfect. A little bit of hizz but put some fender noiseless in it and I'm sure you get that classic twang of a tele
I wanted a strat because I missed my old Yamaha EG 112...HSS

I went to get an MIM and when I played the Squire..I didnt hear a huge difference in tone.

The MIM was BETTER but it wasn't a difference big enough to justify the pricetag.
With a pickup upgrade the Squier can sound just as good, except it most likely wont have legendary sustain and still be cheaper.

I'm not saying cheaper is better...but you can get a gig worthy guitar that won't break the bank. Some people are just biased to different brands.

I myself HATE Ibanez guitars. They just look like they'd break easy. I dunno what it is about them...But everytime I hear someone sounding ridiculously good in a guitar store...literally more than half the time its an Ibanez. Even the entry level models sound good. Many musicians are very critical...and narrow minded.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Quote by vigenharutyunya
^^ yeah ive heard ibanez are piece of sh!! sorry but that's what i think too.. only those hi end thousands worth ibbies i are cool i think.. and hm mthe electronics aint good
and if yo uwant a metl guitar get a Scheceter

Can you please stop spouting this garbage all over this forum? You have no idea what you're talking about and even if you did your writing is damn near unintelligible. Anytime you make a blanket statement like Ibanez are shit you only make yourself look like a fool.

And your post above that one about Squiers is clearly a justification for why you have one... If Squiers blow your mind then you haven't played many guitars. They are good, but not worth the 3 paragraphs (if they can be called that) of nonsense praise you gave them.

I'm not even gonna touch the 'I'm planning to be famous' thing.

Edit: But to be fair; you are 14 years old and English is a second language for you, right?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Dec 10, 2009,
squier owners are looked down upon by elitist dickheads, those people won't respect you, but you don't need their respect, and they don't deserve your respect.

in short, there's nothing wrong with having a squier.

edit: tubetime86, maybe he just really likes squiers but has not yet accepted that his opinion will differ from the opinion of everyone else? i know a guy with a fender telecaster that he put a squier neck on - because he liked the feel of that particular squier neck a lot better. does that make him an idiot? or perhaps, is he wise, because he cares more about what he likes about his guitar, than what people will think of his guitar?
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Last edited by Blompcube at Dec 10, 2009,
If I had to start all over again with my rig, I'd probably get a Squier. They're the best sub-$200 guitars (excluding the Yamaha Pacifica) on the market, period. I'd take a Squier Affinity over an Epiphone LP Special II even though I prefer Les Paul shapes.

The Affinity Squier line is also made with real wood, unlike many other 'cheap' guitars which use plywood and other such materials.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Washburnd Fretz

I myself HATE Ibanez guitars. They just look like they'd break easy. I dunno what it is about them...But everytime I hear someone sounding ridiculously good in a guitar store...literally more than half the time its an Ibanez. Even the entry level models sound good. Many musicians are very critical...and narrow minded.

My go to guitar, the primary axe in my arsenal, is an Ibanez RX-20. The most bottom of the line Ibanez you could get in the mid to late 90s. HH, agathis, etc, substandard wiring. I found it on the wall of the local Music Go Round for about 100. The moment I picked it up, it felt like "part of me." My friend was with me, and said "if you aren't buying that, I totally am." Over the years, I've taken the time and money to upgrade the cheap components. It's got an Evolution in the bridge, an Air Norton in the neck, all the wiring is upgraded, I put in a 5 way switch so I could coil split, installed Grover locking tuners, etc. The guitar still feels like an extension of myself, and it plays like a guitar way more than it's price tag, even adding on the upgrade prices. People who pick it up marvel at how it feels. The assembly line really got it right on this one.

Sometimes its about how the guitar feels and plays, not the stupid name on the headstock. Strike that. MOST times.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Page 1 of 2