So correct me if im wrong but the preamp tubes provide distortion while power tubes provide sound output???
wtv the case can someone talk to me about the different types of preamp and power tubes, how they differ, and is there any significance in the ratio between the two (eg. 5 preamp, 2 power, or 3 preamp, 4 power)

i play metal, through emgs
Distortion in the way you're describing it comes from the preamp tubes. What amp do you have?

EDIT: power tubes can 'distort' but its not usually something you hear in modern metal.... (think ACDC type tones for power tube distortion). There is a thread on here somewhere that is dedicated to tube types, etc.

EDIT2: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=473149&highlight=tubes
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Dec 10, 2009,
Quote by sebaimans
So correct me if im wrong but the preamp tubes provide distortion while power tubes provide sound output???
wtv the case can someone talk to me about the different types of preamp and power tubes, how they differ, and is there any significance in the ratio between the two (eg. 5 preamp, 2 power, or 3 preamp, 4 power)

i play metal, through emgs

Preamp distortion is what you hear in most modern multi-channel amps, but power tube distortion is possible when the power amp section is pushed hard enough (the reason attenuators exist).

There is no significance in ratio of power tubes to preamp tubes -- usually you'll have one or two preamp tubes per channel, and in some instances a "phase inverter," while power amp tubes usually come in pairs and will vary depending on the wattage of the amp and the type of the tube.
Hi, I'm Peter