Hello Pit! I seem to be in a predicament. The band I'm trying (key word=trying) to form is going to consist of me (guitar), another guitarist, a drummer, and the lead singer. The only bassist I know who lives somewhat locally probably won't be interested in the style of the band (hard psychedelic experimental rock... in other words, wierd ). The bassist is a jazz bassist and is going to college soon. Should we, the band, save up for a bass, amp, and method book for the lead singer, or should I or the other guitarist take it up?
Comic

SAAAAAAAAANNNNNSSSS!!!!
find a new bassist? Dont force anybody to play bass. thats a cruel practice that should be shunned
❒ Taken ❒ Single ✔ Would like a sandwich

Vereor Deus

Quote by dann_blood
Branding!?!? THAT'S TOO PROGRESSIVE! I say bring back settlement payments in weights of lead and impalement upon wooden stakes!

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Oh! Sorry, I thought that was a braille name tag.
Work around it. Be that band without a bassist. Use low tunings to fill out the deep end, there are two of you.
MATTERHORN
You only need a bassist if...

a) You need someone to carry your gear
b) You need someone to look stupid on stage (see. Robert Trujilo)
<Enter Witty Signature Here>
Quote by DimebagRazor
You only need a bassist if...

a) You need someone to carry your gear
b) You need someone to look stupid on stage (see. Robert Trujilo)

Fail troll have failed.

On topic, why don't you use octaviser until you find a bassist?
Cookie monster genocide my nation! HE MUST DIE MENS

Art is never finished it is only abandoned.

Real mitalhead don't give a f**k if it is Wensday or a dick in the a**
Actually the only reason you need a bassist is so you look better in comparison to the lady folk.
The B-52 Bombers Group!
Own a B-52 amp? Join the club!

Quote by nashawa
He may be a troll, but he's an incredibly successful troll. So kudos on that.
Hahahaha, exactly you only need a bassist if you want to look stupid, but no really you can do a whitechapel kind of thing you should check them out...... they don't have a bassist they use 3 guitar players each with 7 string guitars and drop A tuning =.
Quote by youngncy
Hahahaha, exactly you only need a bassist if you want to look stupid, but no really you can do a whitechapel kind of thing you should check them out...... they don't have a bassist they use 3 guitar players each with 7 string guitars and drop A tuning =.

while i agree at the notion of using low tunings, and i agree that whitechapel is the shit, keep in mind he wants to do psychadelic rock. =) great suggestion though dude.
Quote by Gunpowder
The Pit is to intelligence what a black hole is to light; it's devoid of reason and logic, and nothing can escape it's shadowy depths. Once you enter, you cannot leave.
Quote by C0_0kie
Fail troll have failed.

On topic, why don't you use octaviser until you find a bassist?

NOOOOOOOOO

If the base is just the rythm guitar part, then why have it there at all? The bass needs SOUL, brotha
❒ Taken ❒ Single ✔ Would like a sandwich

Vereor Deus

Quote by dann_blood
Branding!?!? THAT'S TOO PROGRESSIVE! I say bring back settlement payments in weights of lead and impalement upon wooden stakes!

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Oh! Sorry, I thought that was a braille name tag.
You will need a bass, for you will sound much clearer then. Think about whether you really need two guitars, if not, one of you two guitarists should play bass.

But ask this bassist you know first, you did not say that he's not interested at all, did you?
I think what you need to do is ask him, then when he tells you no, answer the phone and take his substitute teaching job for some cash. There's a real cool bassist in the school where you'll teach, even though she plays the cello, you just turn it sideways and, cello! there's a bass.

Trust me on this one.
Epiphone SG
Crate V-18 212
Xaviere XV-500
Boss PS-5 SUPER Shifter
Digitech Bad Monkey

SWINE FLU FREE SINCE 1974
Quote by Ciaphas
Why not put up some adds around locally to find a bass player that might be interested.

I agree with this fine fellow. Put some ads up, say, at your local guitar store.
I have more fun than normal people are allowed to have.

Quote by Kensai

Happy RUTAS everybody
The bassists are the runts of the litter. I know, i've been a bassist for maybe 4+ bands, haha.

I'm used to it. I get it, the bassist doesn't have nearly as much responsiblity. But it does bug me when people say that its not necessary. If in the middle of a huge concert, the bass came unplugged suddenly, i guarantee just about everybody would notice in the audience that was listening, and while the show would not be ruined, the experience would definitly be a lot weaker. Kinda like if your woman gained 15 pounds right as you were ready to do the deed.

Anyways.

Like someone said, just post around your area (craigslist works, sometimes) for a bassist. Make sure to include your influences in there, and don't be afraid to put something along the lines of 'As long as you're open minded to new styles, we're willing to work with you'.

Odds are, you aren't going to find a ton of musicians, especially in your area, that like the exact same type of music as you, and play exactly how you want to. So just be open minded, and look for open minded people.
Yeah, uh-huh...that's what they all say.
Last edited by BassFishin at Dec 10, 2009,
Bandleading forum.

The Pit is for non-guitar-related topics.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Oh sh*t! thats right. that was the first thing i thought of when i saw this thread, but i got caught up in the moment.

reported
Yeah, uh-huh...that's what they all say.